Browse Items (708 total)

  • Tags: Sanford

HH00004.jpg
A wooden cut-out of a man and woman dressed for the Celery Ball. The Celery Ball is a fund raising event held by Creative Sanford, a non-profit organization created to manage Celery Soup: Florida's Folk Life Play community theater productions, each…

SC00645.jpg
Two men loading crates of celery either onto rail car. The celery was shipped by M. Moses, who also leased two stalls at the first Sanford State Farmers' Market, on February 16, 1926, from Sanford, Florida. A. H. Moses & Son sold the celery upon…

The original idea for the Celery Soup: Florida’s Folk Life Play project came from Jeanine Taylor, the owner of a folk-art gallery on First Street in Sanford, Florida. Their first production was Touch and Go, a play focusing on the people of Sanford…

SC00499.jpg
A twelve-car train transporting Chase & Company celery in Sanford, Florida, in 1936. The origins of Sanford's connection to celery farming began on December 26, 1894, when a freeze damaged the area's citrus groves. They began to recover during a…

SC00748.jpg
A document certifying Marie Jones Francis as a Lay-Midwife for the year of 1977. The certificate was issued by the Florida Department of Health and Rehabilitative Services Health Program Office and was signed by the Staff Director. The Governor and…

HH00428.jpg
A newspaper article published by The Central Florida Press on June 20, 1930. The article is about a missing person named Charles W. Summersill. According to the article, the 19-year-old had gone missing while driving from Geneva to Chuluota in his…

SC00503.jpg
The Chase & Company building near the railroad in Sanford, Florida, on March 3, 1936. Chase & Company was established in 1884 by brothers Sydney Octavius Chase and Joshua Coffin Chase. The company sold insurance and later invested in storage…

SC00509.jpg
Celery in a Chase & Company car ca. 1920-1921. Pictured in the photograph are Thomas Jones and William A. Leffler. Chase & Company was established in 1884 by brothers Sydney Octavius Chase and Joshua Coffin Chase. The company sold insurance and later…

PB012.jpg
Invoice from Chase & Company paying $153.55 to Pilgrim Black (1905-2002), the father of Patricia Black, for the use of his vehicles for hauling products or equipment for the week ending June 12, 1962. Pilgrim Black was born in 1905, although some…

SC00505.jpg
The Chase & Company Packing House in Sanford, Florida, in 1936. Chase & Company was established in 1884 by brothers Sydney Octavius Chase and Joshua Coffin Chase. The company sold insurance and later invested in storage facilities and…

SC00517.jpg
The interior of the Chase & Company Packing House in Sanford before it was destroyed by fire. The building was rebuilt in 1908. Chase & Company was established in 1884 by brothers Sydney Octavius Chase and Joshua Coffin Chase. The company sold…

SC00508.jpg
Workers bathing at a Chase & Company picnic on March 3, 1936 in Sanford, Florida. Chase & Company was established in 1884 by brothers Sydney Octavius Chase and Joshua Coffin Chase. The company sold insurance and later invested in storage facilities…

SC00506.jpg
The Sales Department staff at Chase & Company office, located at 110 West First Street in Sanford, Florida, around 1910. Chase & Company was established in 1884 by brothers Sydney Octavius Chase and Joshua Coffin Chase. The company sold…

SC00515.jpg
The Chase & Company Packing House in Sanford, Florida before being destroyed by fire. The building was rebuilt in 1908. Chase & Company was established in 1884 by brothers Sydney Octavius Chase and Joshua Coffin Chase. The company sold insurance and…

SC00507.jpg
Postcard showing the Chase & Company staff at the Sanford office, located at 110 West First Street, in 1918. Photographed from left to right is bookkeeper Wess Hayden, stenographer Segros Velelen "Wes Huetes," stenographer Mrs. Cox, business…

SC00631.jpg
An advertisement for Chase & Company from Sanford High School's Salmagundi yearbook for the 1920-1921. One of the first vendors to lease a stall at the first Sanford State Farmers' Market, Chase & Company was established in 1884 by brothers…

SC00589.pdf
Christine Kinlaw and other students on a Westside Grammar Elementary School float for a Christmas parade in 1963. Kinlaw's family had attended Westside Grammar Elementary School since it was established as Sanford High School in 1902.The building was…

SC00341.jpg
Newspaper article in the Sanford Herald on the City of Sanford's donation of land to the State Marketing Board to construct the Sanford State Farmers' Market in 1934. The tract of land was in a desirable location due to its proximity to both east and…

SC00161.jpg
The City of Stanford in the 1890s, after the Great Fire of 1887. The present-day Sanford, Florida, area was originally inhabited by the Mayaca and Joroco tribes by the time Europeans arrived. The tribe was decimated by war and disease by 1760 and was…

SC00159.jpg
The City of Sanford riverfront in the 1880s, just before the Great Fire of 1887. The present-day Sanford, Florida, area was originally inhabited by the Mayaca and Joroco tribes by the time Europeans arrived. The tribe was decimated by war and disease…

SC00162.jpg
The City of Sanford steamboat near Sanford, Florida. The steamboat was constructed by the Thompson & Clyde Shipyard in Jacksonville. On November 24, 1880, The City of Sanford was launched. The steamboat travedl between Sanford and Jacksonville…

HH00365.jpg
A newspaper article published in The Oviedo Voice on September 16, 2004. According to the article, the Oviedo City Council sent a letter the State of Florida supporting the application of certification for the Central Florida Regional Hospital,…

PHC00137.jpg
Clare Gortez's fifth grade class at Sanford Grammar School during the 1920-1921 school year. Some of the students photographed include L. P. Hogan, Jessie Neeley, Gene Adams, Evelyn Moffett, Pearl Robinson, Harriett Rossitor, Helen Jenkins, Maggie…

PHC00134.jpg
A class at Sanford Grammar School in 1916. Originally located at 301 West Seventh Street in Sanford, Florida, Sanford Grammar School was first established as Sanford High School in 1902. The building was designed by W. G. Talley in the Romanesque…

PHC00176.jpg
A class at Sanford Grammar School in 1929. Originally established as Sanford High School, the main building was constructed at 301 West Seventh Street in Sanford, Florida, in 1902. The building was designed by W. G. Talley in the Romanesque revival…

PHC00009.jpg
Co-educational physical education class at Seminole High School in 1959. Originally located at 301 West Seventh Street in Sanford, Florida, Seminole High School was first established as Sanford High School in 1902. The building was designed by W. G.…

SC00581.jpg
Colla Woodcock, the great-uncle of Christine Kinlaw-Best, in Sanford during the 1960s. When the photograph was taken, Woodcock was in his fifties or sixties. He was also a former student at Westside Grammar Elementary School.

HH00437.jpg
A newspaper article published by The Central Florida Press on June 20, 1930. The article reports construction figures compiled by the state hotel commission for the month of May. According to the article, the total sum of money expended for the…

FSM00020.jpg
The corner of East First Street and North Palmetto Avenue in Sanford, Florida. Although the earliest type of stereoscope dates back to 1838, this stereoscope card is from a Holmes-style stereoscope invented by Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr. (1841-1935)…

PHC00011.jpeg
Crooms Academy Graduating Class of 1929 on the steps of the home of Professor Joseph National Crooms, located at 812 South Sanford Avenue in Sanford, Florida. The Crooms Academy of Information Technology is located at 2200 West Thirteenth Street and…

HH00001.jpg
TheCultural Preservation Award presented by the Sanford Historic Trust to Creative Sanford, Inc. in 2011 for the play Touch and Go. The award contains images from the play and the address of the Princess Theater, where the play was performed.Creative…

FSM00018.jpg
Sanford's Riverfront looking north during late 19th century, with a steamship pictured in the background. By the mid-1880s, Sanford had become a major distribution center due to the city's strategic location along Lake Monroe and the St. Johns River.…

FSM00009.jpg
The DeForest Grove, sometime between 1895 and 1905, in Sanford, Florida. Henry L. DeForest (1857-1902) was born in Derby, Connecticut, and knew Henry Shelton Sanford (1823-1891) since childhood. In 1870, DeForest came to Florida seeking better…

FSM00011.jpg
The DeForest Grove after the freeze of 1895. Henry L. DeForest (1857-1902) was born in Derby, Connecticut, and knew Henry Shelton Sanford (1823-1891) since childhood. In 1870, DeForest came to Florida seeking better health in the warmer climate. He…

FSM00008.jpg
The DeForest Grove, sometime between 1895 and 1905, in Sanford, Florida. Henry L. DeForest (1857-1902) was born in Derby, Connecticut, and knew Henry Shelton Sanford (1823-1891) since childhood. In 1870, DeForest came to Florida seeking better…

FSM00006.jpg
The DeForest Grove in 1905, in Sanford, Florida. Henry L. DeForest (1857-1902) was born in Derby, Connecticut, and knew Henry Shelton Sanford (1823-1891) since childhood. In 1870, DeForest came to Florida seeking better health in the warmer climate.…

FSM00007.jpg
The DeForest Grove, sometime between 1895 and 1905, in Sanford, Florida. Henry L. DeForest (1857-1902) was born in Derby, Connecticut, and knew Henry Shelton Sanford (1823-1891) since childhood. In 1870, DeForest came to Florida seeking better health…

FSM00012.jpg
Two women and two children, likely relatives of Henry L. DeForest (1857-1902), along with four African-Americans at the DeForest home in 1905. Called "The Palms," the DeForest home was located at 105 Aldean Drive in Sanford, Florida. DeForest was…

SC00600.jpg
Seminole High School's second building being demolished by Chapman & Son Demolition in 1991. At the time of the demolition, the building was being used as Sanford Middle School. The old building was replaced by a $5.77 million school complex.

The…

PHC00173.jpg
Demolition of the Sanford Grammar School Lunchroom on September 25, 2008. Originally established as Sanford High School, the main building was constructed at 301 West Seventh Street in Sanford, Florida, in 1902. The building was designed by W. G.…

FSM00019.jpg
Donald Houston at Belair Grove in Sanforrd (present-day Lake Mary), Florida, around 1891.In 1870, Henry Shelton Sanford (1823-1891) purchased 12,547.15 square acres of land known as the Sanford Grant. Sanford established an experiment station on a…

SC00164.jpg
Downtown Sanford in the late 1950s or early 1960s. The present-day Sanford, Florida, area was originally inhabited by the Mayaca and Joroco tribes by the time Europeans arrived. The tribe was decimated by war and disease by 1760 and was replaced by…

SC00163.jpg
Downtown Sanford, Florida, in 1952. The present-day Sanford, Florida, area was originally inhabited by the Mayaca and Joroco tribes by the time Europeans arrived. The tribe was decimated by war and disease by 1760 and was replaced by the Seminole…

SC00747.jpg
Dr. Annye Refoe and Dr. Stephen Caldwell Wright in Sanford, Florida, in 2011. Dr. Refoe, the daughter of Herman L. Refoe, Jr. and Shellye L. Refoe, was born on January 29, 1951. Since her parents both taught at Midway Elementary School, Refoe also…

SC00899.jpg
Dr. George H. Starke (ca. 1899-ca.1979), an African-American physician who practiced in Sanford, Florida. Starke opened his practice in Sanford, in 1927. Shortly thereafter, Dr. Starke became one of only four African-American physicians to be…

SC00902.jpg
Dr. George H. Starke (ca. 1899-ca.1979) receiving an award for his work as a physician. Starke opened his practice in Sanford, Florida, in 1927. Shortly thereafter, Dr. Starke became one of only four African-American physicians to be accepted by…

PB034.jpg
Dr. George H. Starke (ca. 1899-ca. 1979), a friend of the Black Family, displaying the fish he caught and brought back to his home on Locust Avenue in Sanford (now part of Winter Springs) 1960. For many years, Dr. Starke was the only…

HH00029.jpg
This undated newspaper clipping advertises an "Appreciation Day Sunday" held by the Sanford Chamber of Commerce and the Concerned Citizens Committee for Dr. George H. Starke (1898-1978). The Chamber of Commerce hung a banner over First Street in…

PHC00138.jpg
A class at Sanford Grammar School.  Originally located at 301 West Seventh Street in Sanford, Florida, Sanford Grammar School was first established as Sanford High School in 1902. The building was designed by W. G. Talley in the Romanesque revival…

GC00365.pdf
Early Settlers of Orange County, Florida, printed in 1915 and published by Clarence E. Howard of Orlando, Florida. The book also includes an article "Early History of Orlando" written by J.N. Whitner of Sanford, Florida. This 68-page book contains…

Tags: ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;

MHM00026.pdf
The Eatonville Speaker edition for June 22, 1889. Eatonville, Florida, was incorporated as one of the first all-black towns in the country on August 15, 1887. The town was named after Josiah C. Eaton, one of the few white landowners who was willing…

SC00500.jpg
Ed Ward in a celery field in Sanford, Florida.The origins of Sanford's connection to celery farming began on December 26, 1894, when a freeze damaged the area's citrus groves. They began to recover during a warm and wet January which promoted new…

PHC00177.jpg
Edna Chittenden's fifth grade class at Sanford Grammar School during the 1921-1922 school year. Originally established as Sanford High School, the building was constructed at 301 West Seventh Street in Sanford, Florida, in 1902. The building was…

SP00031.jpg
This is a bank statement created by D. G. Ambler for Edwin G. Eastman. The statement provides a list of deposits and transfers between March and June 1871. Ambler was a banker located in Jacksonville, Florida, who handled the financial and banking…

SP00029.pdf
This is a financial transaction written by Edwin G. Eastman for the company Fraser and Dice. It is presumably a makeshift personal check, written on ordinary writing paper. The written note requests that an amount of $1,000 be charged to the account…

HH00476.jpg
A newspaper article from The Seminole Star of an 85-foot yacht from Fort Pierce arriving in the sheltered harbor of Lake Monroe in Sanford, Florida. According to the caption, the harbor ranked high among Central Florida marinas for berthing and other…

SC00725.jpg
Aerial photograph of Sanford, Florida, taken on January 18, 1961. The photograph was taken by the U.S. Navy's Heavy Photographic Squadron 62 (VAP-62), with commanding officer John E. Cousins. This aerial view is at an altitude of 30,000 feet above…

PB004.jpg
Envelope addressed to Harry Black (d. 1911), although the letter was likely for his son, Pilgrim Black (1905-2002), as Harry had passed away years before 1932. Pilgrim Black was born in 1905, although some records list 1907 as his birth year. Pilgrim…

SP00034.pdf
This is a receipt of payment produced for O. C. Rollins on July 20, 1871, by the Erans Hotel. The hotel charged Rollins $16 for eight days board. It is unclear where the Erans Hotel was located. It is also unclear who O. C. Rollins was or why he…

SC00345.jpg
Newspaper article in the The Sanford Herald on the fire that burned down the Sanford State Farmers' Market in 1957. Hundreds of gallons of water were used to put the fire out and damages were estimated at $2.5 million.The Sanford State Farmers'…

FSM00031.jpg
A newspaper advertisement in The South Florida Argus issue for January 3, 1886. This issue includes an advertisement for F. E. Lane, a wholesale and retail dealer in hardware, stoves, and other items. Lane's store was located at the corner of East…

PHC00187.jpg
A facsimile from Myriam Garrett of the Student Museum to George Kosmac, dated October 16, 2007. Attached to the letter from Frederick P. Gaske, a Florida State Historic Preservation Officer, to Bill Vogel, Superintendent of Seminole County Public…

SC00348.jpg
Newspaper article, written for the The Sanford Herald in 1969, on the history and business of the Sanford State Farmers' Market.

Located at 1300 South French Avenue, was founded in 1934 in order to provide a central location in which farmers would…

SC00346.jpg
Newspaper article in the The Sanford Herald on the retirement of Edith Dutton in 1968, secretary to the manager of the Sanford State Farmers' Market, after 28 years of service.The Sanford State Farmers' Market, at 1300 South French Avenue, was…

SC00347.jpg
Newspaper article on three construction companies' contract bids to rebuild the Sanford State Farmers' Market after it was destroyed by fire in 1957. Bids ranged from approximately $209,000 to $214,000.

The Sanford State Farmers' Market, at 1300…

PHC00066.jpg
Female students at Sanford High School's second campus, located at the corner of East Ninth Street and South Palmetto Avenue in Sanford, Florida, in the 1920s. Sanford High School was originally established at 301 West Seventh Street in Sanford,…

PHC00068.jpg
Female students at Sanford High School's original campus, located at 301 West Seventh Street in Sanford, Florida, in 1911. Sanford High School was originally established in 1902. The building was designed by W. G. Talley in the Romanesque revival…

PHC00135.jpg
A fifth grade class at Sanford Grammar School in 1920. Originally located at 301 West Seventh Street in Sanford, Florida, Sanford Grammar School was first established as Sanford High School in 1902. The building was designed by W. G. Talley in the…

HH00429.jpg
A newspaper article published by The Central Florida Press on June 20, 1930. The article describes rumors about the establishment of a new bank in the old First National Bank No. 2 Building, located at 101 East First Street in Sanford, Florida.…

FSM00041.jpg
A newspaper article about a fire that occurred on August 18, 1886, in Sanford, Florida. According to the article, the fire was first discovered in the Trafford and Company hardware store, located at the corner of North Park Avenue and West Commercial…

SC00935.jpg
A  postcard featuring East First Street in Sanford, Florida, in the 1930s or 1940s. The Victory Bar and the Sanford Atlantic National Bank, which was located at 1010 East First Street can been seen on the left. On the right of the photograph is a…

SC00117.pdf
Forty-six page record book for the Florida State League of professional baseball clubs, Class D, 1947. Information provided in the book includes a list of the league's presidents, the 1947 directors, official scorers, umpires, a photograph of the…

Tags: ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;

GC00366.pdf
Road map showing the Florida Turnpike, it's toll plazas, exits and service stations. The brochure was produced in 1967. Construction for the Florida Turnpike began on July 4, 1955 in response to unprecedented growth in population and tourism in…

Tags: ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;

SC00894.jpg
The Ford Motor Company dealership that was located on the southeast corner of North Palmetto Avenue and East Commercial Avenue in Downtown Sanford, Florida, around 1924. The building was designed by architect Elton James Moughton. As of 2012, the…

SC00633.jpg
The former location of the Chase & Company office, located at 110 West First Street in Sanford, Florida, in 2011. The building served as Chase & Co.'s office since 1887 and its office for fire insurance beginning in 1917. The building is…

PB032.jpg
The former lot of a grocery store, located at 206 South Sanford Avenue owned by Harry Black (d. 1911), the grandfather of Patricia Ann Black, in 2012. Harry and Maggie Benjamin Black (ca. 1870-ca. 1934) were the parents of Leckward Black, Mustar…

SCC00614.jpg
The former location of a John J. Mauser cigar shop at 120 North Park Avenue in Sanford, Florida. The cigar shop occupied the space approximately between 1910 and 1922. John J. Mauser manufactured Lucky Sanford, Banker's Choice, and Clear Havana…

SC00893.jpg
The former lot of the Ford Motor Company dealership that was located on the southeast corner of Palmetto Avenue and Commercial Avenue in Downtown Sanford, Florida. The dealership was located here in the 1920s. At the time that this photograph was…

PHC00065.jpg
Former students of Sanford High School's second campus, located at the corner of East Ninth Street and South Palmetto Avenue in Sanford, Florida, in the 1920s. Sanford High School was originally established at 301 West Seventh Street in Sanford,…

FSM00049.jpg
The former building at First Street and Magnolia Avenue in Sanford, Florida, prior to the construction of the N. P. Yowell Building and Garner Woodruff Building. The building was named after Fort Reid, which was established by Colonel William S.…

FSM00021.jpg
The fountain at intersection of North Park Avenue and East First Street Sanford, Florida, in 1900. The fountain used free-flowing artesian wells under the city. The Lyman Bank, pictured on the right, was the first brick building in Sanford. Located…

SC00636.jpg
A newspaper advertisement about the estimated amount of 400 carloads of celery that will be shipped out of Sanford in 1917 by Stokes Seed Company, which was also one of the first vendors to lease a stall at the first Sanford State Farmers' Market…

SC00524.jpg
Franklin W. Chase and Randall Chase at Isleworth Grove in January of 1953. In this photograph, the Chases are analyzing Sweet Black C Valencias that budded between 1902 and 1904. The California straw in the picture originated from Belair Grove near…

HH00452.jpg
A newspaper article published by The Central Florida Press on June 20, 1930. The article reports news in Geneva, a community northeast of Oviedo, Florida. News topics include the disappearance of 19-year-old Charles W. Summersill, Howard Lindsey's…