Browse Items (54 total)

  • Tags: parks

OC00050.pdf
Postcard showing the Dickson-Azalea Park, owned by the City of Orlando. The park is located south of Robinson Street, north of Central Boulevard, and west of Rosearden Drive. Fern Creek runs through the park, which drains into Mayor Carl T. Langford…

OC00054.pdf
Postcard, posted in 1951, showing the Sperry Fountain on the southern shore of Lake Eola in Downtown Orlando, Florida. The fountain was named in honor of Frank Sperry, a mayor of Orlando. Lake Eola and the surrounding park are one of the unusual…

OC00055.pdf
Lake Lucerne is one of two primary lakes connected with the earliest days of the city of Orlando, Florida. Along with Lake Eola, it defined one of the natural borders of the young town in the 1860s and 1870s. Lake Lucerne sits at the southern end of…

Episode 20 of RICHES Podcast Documentaries: Women of Many Hats: The Rossetter Sisters of Eau Gallie, Florida. RICHES Podcast Documentaries are short form narrative documentaries that explore Central Florida history and are locally produced. These…

FSM00051.jpg
This photograph is of the waterfront on Commercial Street in Sanford, Florida. The Palm Avenue Dock is in the distance and the foreground is the park at the Sanford House Hotel. There is a century plant in the center of walkway in the park.The…

SH00001.jpg
Mermaids at Weeki Wachee Springs State Park in 1974. Weeki Wachee, located at 6131 Commercial Way in Spring Hill, Florida, is best known for its famous tourist attraction, Weeki Wachee Springs. Weeki Wachee Springs features performances by underwater…

SH00004.jpg
Members of the Cepero family at Weeki Wachee Springs State Park in 1991. Photographed from left to right are Dennis Cepero (b. 1986), Ray (née Raúl) Cepero (b. 1947), David Cepero (b. 1978), Laura Lynn Cepero (b. 1987), and Alicia Lynn…

SSC00003.jpg
Ray (née Raúl) Cepero (b. 1947) and his wife, Nancy Lynn Cepero (b. 1954), at the Silver Springs State Park, formerly located at 1425 Northeast 58th Avenue in Silver Springs, Florida, in 1999. Silver Springs was originally settled by the Timucuans…

SSC00004.jpg
An alligator at the Silver Springs State Park, formerly located at 1425 Northeast 58th Avenue in Silver Springs, Florida, in 1999. Silver Springs was originally settled by the Timucuans in the early 1500s. Although they were able to reclaim their…

SSC00005.jpg
The Juniper Springs Recreation Area, located at 26701 Florida State Road 40 in the Ocala National Forest in Silver Springs, Florida, in 1997. In the first photograph, Dennis Cepero (b. 1986) can be seen on the far right. In the second photograph, the…

OC00200.jpg
A postcard showing the Sperry Fountain on the southern shore of Lake Eola in Downtown Orlando, Florida. The fountain was named in honor of Frank E. Sperry (1843-1916), Mayor of Orlando from 1913 to 1916. Lake Eola and the surrounding park are one of…

SH00005.jpg
A postcard featuring an underwater mermaid at Weeki Wachee Springs State Park in 1949. Weeki Wachee, located at 6131 Commercial Way in Spring Hill, Florida, is best known for its famous tourist attraction, Weeki Wachee Springs. The attraction…

SSC00004.jpg
A color postcard featuring a model posing next to a horseshow palm at the Silver Springs State Park, formerly located at 1425 Northeast 58th Avenue in Silver Springs, Florida, in 1949. Silver Springs was originally settled by the Timucuans in the…

CVHP00026.pdf
An oral history interview of Richard Tobias Sloane (b. 1934), who served in the U.S. Navy from 1964 to 1969, during the Vietnam War. Sloane was born in Queens, New York City, New York, on March 4, 1934. In August of 1964, he was commissioned into the…

Tags: ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;

HH00377.pdf
The Dance Floor at Sweetwater Park, located at 201 East Magnolia Street in Oviedo, Florida, circa 1942. In 1926, Theodore Luqueer Mead and his wife, Edith Katharine Antill Edwards Mead, donated five acres of wooded hammock land to be used for the…

HH00404.pdf
A map of Lake Charm, a 19-acre lake located in the Lake Jesup Watershed of Oviedo, Florida, sometime between 1865 and 1870. The map shows mostly orange groves and farmland owned by a handful of individuals: Walter Gwynn, Dr. Henry Foster, Mary E.…

HH00407.jpg
A Fourth of July barbecue at Sweetwater Park, located at 201 East Magnolia Street in Oviedo, Florida. Theodore Luqueer Mead and his wife, Edith Katharine Antill Edwards Mead, donated five acres of wooded hammock land to be used for the park. The…

CC00011.pdf
A brochure for the New Smyrna Sugar Mill Ruins, located at 600 Old Mission Road in New Smyrna Beach, Florida. For many years, the site, also known as the Cruger and DePeyster Sugar Mill, was mistaken for the ruins of a Spanish mission with origins…

SCC00029.jpg
Created in October of 1926 by Sanford’s city engineer, Fred T. Williams, this surveyor's map depicts the City of Sanford, Florida, and its environs. During his tenure as city engineer from the 1920s through the early 1940s, Williams created…

LCC000721.pdf
A postcard depicting a view of Fifth Avenue and 59th Street from Central Park in New York City, New York. Two hotels, the Savoy-Plaza Hotel and The Sherry-Netherland, are featured in the image.This postcard is part of a collection of postcards kept…

DB00008.pdf
A postcard depicting the Sheraton Plaza, located at 13 South Atlantic Avenue in Daytona Beach, Florida. The park is now known as Breakers Sheraton Plaza and Environmental Learning Center. Daytona Beach was originally inhabited by the Timucua before…

PAR00023.jpg
The Cultural Festival at Kaley Square Park in the Parramore neighborhood of Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 1998. The festival featured a "dunk the pastors" booth and was created to represent local cultures. The first photograph shows a group of…

eb4e8fa8bf8a514f0c0fa25e47bc22ac.png
An advertisement produced to showcase the advent of mid-century modernism in Orlando, Florida. The film depicts marketing strategies aimed at attracting white middle-to-upper class men in either military or defense technology engineering professions.…

Tags: ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;

WW00014.jpg
A trained raccoon opening a gift from an employee of Weeki Wachee Springs in the 1950s. For several years, Weeki Wachee offered a "covered wagon" ride through the forest as one of the park's attractions. Along the sides of the forest were a variety…

WW00015.jpg
Bonnie Georgiadis and three other Weeki Wachee mermaids training for future performances by practicing a pose. Bonnie Georgiadis was a mermaid from 1950 to 1968. After retiring from underwater theater, she took on other responsibilities at the park,…

WW00016.jpg
A Weeki Wachee Springs mermaid posing underwater with a report card. The card includes grades for bathing, ballet, breathing and boys. Weeki Wachee Springs is a state park that opened to the public in October of 1949 by Newton Perry along with a…

WW00017.pdf
Ann Tanzler, wife of Jacksonville Mayor Hans G. Tanzler, putting on a diving mask with the aid of two Weeki Wachee mermaids. An accompanying press release sent out on November 22, 1971, describes the busy life of Ann Tanzler, who, on top of being a…

WW00018.jpg
Rita King, mermaid at Weeki Wachee Springs, holding two juvenile alligators. Along with a group of investors, Newton Perry opened Weeki Wachee Springs to the public in October of 1947. At the time, roadside attractions were becoming popular stops…

WW00019.jpg
Two mermaids at Weeki Wachee Springs walking a young boar on a leash. Along with a group of investors, Newton Perry opened Weeki Wachee Springs to the public in October of 1947. At the time, roadside attractions were becoming popular stops along…

WW00020.jpg
John Hamlet, naturalist, placing his hand into a trained boar's mouth as part of an attraction at Weeki Wachee Springs. Along with a group of investors, Newton Perry opened Weeki Wachee Springs to the public in October of 1947. At the time, roadside…

WW00021.jpg
A raccoon and caged baboon on the river bank of the Weeki Wachee River. This river was used for Weeki Wachee Spring's Jungle Cruise attraction. This attraction would take guests down the river in a glass bottom boat, where they would observe caged…

WW00022.jpg
The Mermaid Villa building at Weeki Wachee Springs. Mermaids used the building to change into their costumes for their underwater performances, shower after their performances, and lounge while on break. Along with a group of investors, Newton Perry…

Untitled-01.jpg
A postcard depicting several Weeki Wachee mermaids lounging around the pool of the local Holiday Inn with the words "Greetings From Weeki Wachee, Florida" printed on the front. The back of the postcard features an ad for the Holiday Inn that lists…

mermaid.jpg
A postcard showcasing the lobby of the Mermaid Motel, which was located directly across the street from Weeki Wachee Springs. Two cars are parked under a pavilion next to the building. The back of the postcard features an add that describes the…

WW00025.pdf
A postcard featuring the dinosaur-shaped Sinclair Gas Station in Weeki Wachee Springs. A handwritten note by Bonita Colson accompanies the postcard, describing a mobile home rental park across the street from the gas station that Weeki Wachee…

WW00026.jpg
Bonnie Georgiadis assisting an archeological dig of a Native American burial mound at Weeki Wachee Springs in July of 1970. She is using archeological tools to uncover a vase. The dig was conducted by the University of Florida. Along with a group of…

WW00027.pdf
Weeki Wachee Springs employee handbook for mermaids, swimmers and trainees. The first four pages detail scheduling rules, dress code and rules of conduct. Some of the rules for mermaids cover what makeup to wear in and out of the water, where to keep…

WW00008.jpg
A letter from the owner of the May Museum of the Tropics, John M. May, to the directors of the St. Petersburg Springs Co., owners of Weeki Wachee Springs, dated January 28, 1957. May discusses his concerns with management and inquires about…

WW00009.pdf
A letter from Myrtle Colson, manager of the May Museum of the Tropics, to the owner of the museum, John M. May, dated March 28, 1956. Myrtle writes that earlier in the day, she allowed an African-American couple to enter the museum, as he had…

WW00010.pdf
A letter from Myrtle Colson, manager of the May Museum of the Tropics, to the owner of the museum, John M. May, dated February 25, 1959. Colson discusses a surprise audit from the owners of Weeki Wachee, The Florida Chain of Theaters. She writes that…

WW00011.jpg
A letter from John M. May, owner of the May Museum of the Tropics, to John T. Creighten, an employee of the Department of Entomology at the University fo Florida, dated November 20, 1963. replying to Mr. Creighten's interest in the museum and its…

WW00012.jpg
A letter from Myrtle Colson, manager of the May Museum of the Tropics, to the owner of the museum, John M. May, dated June 1, 1958. Colson tells May about the increasing sales to the museum due to efforts of the new owner of Weeki Wachee Springs, and…

WW00013.jpg
A letter from John M. May, owner of the May Museum of the Tropics, to the manager of the museum, Myrtle Colson, dated September 27, 1958. May reassures Colson that she is doing fine, expressing remorse for the losing an employee and hope that their…

WW00028.jpg
Orchid Gardens at Weeki Wachee Springs. The hothouse, which allowed visitors to view a variety of orchids, was one of the original attractions to join the mermaid show at Weeki Wachee Springs. …

WW00001.jpg
John May at the foundation of the May Museum of the Tropics at Weeki Wachee Springs, Florida. The date written on the photograph is November 20th, 1953. …

WW00002.jpg
A postcard of Weeki Wachee Springs sometime in the late 1950s. Louise Nan Steer mentions this postcard in her oral history interview because the blonde girl in the pink bathing suit in the center of the postcard is her twin sister, Lynda. The rest of…

WW00003.pdf
Six pages of the May Museum of the Tropics employee handbook. The owner of the museum, John May, created the handbook for his employees to follow in the 1960s. The table of contents on the first three pages gives insight to what is included in the…

WW00004.pdf
A letter from the manager of the the May Museum of the Tropics, Myrtle Colson, to the owner of the museum, John May. The letter details concerns that the manager was having with an employee as well as her complaints about being excluded from certain…

WW00005.jpg
A team of people guide the placement of a Hercules beetle sculpture in the 1950s. A crane lowers the sculpture in place near the May Museum of the Tropics at Weeki Wachee Springs, Florida. The large beetle sculpture served as an advertisement to…

WW00006.jpg
The entrance of the May Museum of the Tropics. Faux thatched roof, tiki sculptures, and a list of countries the insects in the collection came from adorn the space, giving it an exotic feel. …

WW00007.jpg
The original interior of the May Museum of the Tropics in the 1950s. In the months following the photograph, several specimen began to droop and wilt in the cases due to humidity. The owner, John May, was forced to hand make new display cases out of…