Demolition of Seminole High School

Dublin Core

Title

Demolition of Seminole High School

Alternative Title

Demolition of Seminole High School

Subject

Sanford (Fla.)
High schools--Florida
High schools--Buildings
Buildings--Florida
Demolition
Schools

Description

Seminole High School's second building being demolished by Chapman & Son Demolition in 1991. At the time of the demolition, the building was being used as Sanford Middle School. The old building was replaced by a $5.77 million school complex.

The original Sanford High School was established at 301 West Seventh Street Sanford, Florida, in 1902. The building was designed by W. G. Talley in the Romanesque revival style. Due to an increasing student population, a new school building was constructed on Sanford Avenue in 1911. The original building on Seventh Street served as Westside Grammar Elementary School, which was later renamed Sanford Grammar School. In 1984, the building was placed on the National Registry of Historic Places and converted into the Student Museum. The building reopened as the University of Central Florida's Public History Center in 2012.

In 1927, a new high school campus was designed by Elton J. Moughton in the Mediterranean revival style and constructed at 1700 French Avenue. The school reopened on January 10 and was renamed Seminole High School. In 1960, the high school moved to a new campus at 2701 Ridgewood Avenue and the former building on French Avenue was converted to Sanford Junior High School, which was later renamed Sanford Middle School. As of 2013, Seminole High School offers various Advanced Placement courses, the Academy for Health Careers, and the International Baccalaureate Programme for students.

Source

Original 5 x 7 inch color photograph, 1991: Private Collection of Walter Smith.

Date Created

1991

Contributor

Smith, Walter

Is Format Of

Digital reproduction of original 5 x 7 inch color photograph.

Is Part Of

Seminole County Public Schools Collection, Student Museum and UCF Public History Center Collection, Seminole County Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.

Is Referenced By

Smith, Walter. Interviewed by John Settle. UCF Public History Center, HAR 1063392P. March 2, 2013. Audio/video record available. UCF Public History Center, Sanford, Florida.

Format

image/jpg

Extent

123 KB
104 KB
146 KB
169 KB

Medium

4 color photographs

Language

eng

Type

Still Image

Coverage

Sanford Middle School, Sanford, Florida

Spatial Coverage

28.79645, -81.27456

Temporal Coverage

1991-06-02/1991-06-02

Accrual Method

Donation

Mediator

History Teacher
Geography Teacher

Provenance

Originally owned by Walter Smith.

Rights Holder

Copyright to this resource is held by Walter Smith and is provided here by RICHES of Central Florida for educational purposes only.

Contributing Project

UCF Public History Center History Harvest, Spring 2013

Curator

Cepero, Laura

Digital Collection

Source Repository

Private Collection of Walter Smith

External Reference

Sanford Historical Society (Fla.). Sanford. Charleston, SC: Arcadia, 2003.
"Sanford Middle School." Sanford Middle School, Seminole County Public Schools. http://www.sanford.scps.k12.fl.us/.
"Seminole High School." Seminole High School, Seminole County Public Schools. http://www.seminolehs.scps.k12.fl.us/.

Transcript

CHAPMAN
DEMOLITION
CHAPMAN
DEMOLITION
(407) 423-7073

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

4 color photographs

Physical Dimensions

5 x 7 inch

Locations

Categories