Tourists at the Mayfair Inn Swimming Pool

Dublin Core

Title

Tourists at the Mayfair Inn Swimming Pool

Alternative Title

Mayfair Inn Pool

Subject

Tourism--Florida
Hotels--Florida
Swimming pools
New York Giants (Baseball team)
Resorts--Florida
Tourists--Florida

Description

Tourists at the Mayfair Inn swimming pool. The swimming pool was installed by William E. Kirchhoff, Jr.'s agricultural crew and became Sanford's first swimming pool. The pool overlooked Lake Monroe.

Originally named after the Sanford Mayor and president of Seminole County Bank, construction of the Forrest Lake Hotel began in 1916. Local architect Elton J. Moughton designed the hotel. In 1925, Hotel Forrest Lake opened and became a popular destination for tourists visiting Sanford. By 1929, the hotel closed after the stock market crash and the downfall of Florida's tourism and real estate boom. William E. Kirchhoff leased the building in 1934 and the hotel reopened in 1935 with the new name Mayfair Hotel. Under Kirchhoff's ownership, the Mayfair Hotel became known as one of the finest hotels in the South. Kirchhoff sold the hotel in 1948 to Horace Stoneham, owner of the New York Giants. Stoneham then sold the building to the Bernard McFadden Foundation. After the Naval Air Station Sanford acquired $1.3 million to fund the construction of a naval academy in 1963, the Foundation made significant alterations to the building to house students from the Sanford Naval Academy. The Foundation later sold the building to the New Tribes Mission in 1977. The New Tribes Mission's goal is to reach tribes who have no access to the Gospel through translated publications and missionary work.

Abstract

A pool-side view of the Mayfair Hotel.

Source

Original black and white photograph.

Publisher

The Seminole Herald

Date Created

1951-1959

Has Format

Print reproduction of original black and white photograph: The Seminole Herald: Cities/Towns-Sanford Collection, Library and Archives, Orange County Regional History Center, Orlando, Florida.

Is Format Of

Digital reproduction of print reproduction of original black and white photograph: The Seminole Herald.

Is Part Of

Cities/Towns-Sanford Collection, Library and Archives, Orange County Regional History Center, Orlando, Florida.
Hotel Forrest Lake Collection, Sanford Collection, Seminole County Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.

Format

image/jpeg

Extent

415 KB

Medium

1 black and white photograph

Language

eng

Type

Still Image

Coverage

Sanford, Florida

Spatial Coverage

28.811748, -81.257222

Temporal Coverage

1951-01-01/1959-12-31

Accrual Method

Donation

Audience Education Level

SS.K.A.1.2; SS.1.A.1.1; SS.2.A.1.1; SS.3.A.1.1; SS.3.G.2.6; SS.4.A.1.1; SS.4.E.1.2; SS.5.A.1.1; SS.6.W.1.3; SS.8.A.1.5; SS.912.A.1.1; SS.912.G.1.2; SS.912.W.1.3

Mediator

History Teacher
Economics Teacher
Geography Teacher

Provenance

Originally published by The Seminole Herald.

Rights Holder

Copyright to this resource is held by The Seminole Herald and is provided here by RICHES of Central Florida for educational purposes only.

Curator

Cepero, Laura

Digital Collection

External Reference

Sanford Historical Society (Fla.). Sanford. Charleston, SC: Arcadia, 2003.
Sanford Historic Preservation Board. "The Sanford Historic Preservation Board Presents the Sanford Historic Downtown Walking Tour." http://sanfordhistory.tripod.com/Links/wtour.pdf.
The Seminole Herald. Sanford: Our First 125 Years. [Sanford, FL]: The Herald, 2002.

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

1 black and white photograph

Locations

Categories

Transcribe This Item

  1. SC00039.jpg