Wooden Table from Fort Mellon
Fort Mellon Table
This table, made of wood, was submerged under water for 115 years in Lake Monroe, Florida. The table was initially from the old Fort Mellon dock, built by an individual referred to as "Colonel A. C." in 1836. Fort Mellon, established during the Second Seminole War, was originally named Camp Monroe. The name was later changed after Captain Charles Mellon became the sole causality of an Indian attack year later in 1837. The table measures 46 inches long and 17 inches wide. The table is broken up into three distinct sections, with the end sections having their own design crafted out of wood. The center of the table has an "x" in the center. One hundred and fifteen years later, Sidney M. Richarde discovered and removed the wooden table from Lake Monroe. It was donated to the Museum of Seminole County History by Marlene Heaps and Richard Heaps.
Original color digital image, 2015: Museum of Seminole County History, Sanford, Florida.
Is Part Of
Museum of Seminole County History, Sanford, Florida.
Seminole County Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.
1 wooden table
Fort Mellon, Florida
Lake Monroe, Florida
Originally discovered by Sidney M. Richarde.
Donated to the Museum of Seminole County History by Marlene Heaps and Richard Heaps.
Robison, Jim. "Fort Is Named For Lone Officer Killed In Seminole Fight." The Orlando Sentinel, April 13, 2003. http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2003-04-13/news/0304110576_1_seminole-mellon-lake-monroe.
Still Image Item Type Metadata
1 color digital image