Workmen Clear Hole #4 Green
Sanford Country Club and Golf Course
Workmen clearing Hole #4 green at the Sanford Country Club using teams of horses and shovels. Sanford Country Club and Golf Course was originally purchased as a portion of a 20,000-acre tract by General Joseph Finegan for $40. In 1870, Henry Sanford purchased the tract and sold some of it in 1878 to Charles Amory. In 1922, the city of Sanford bought 152-acres to design and construct a municipal 18-hole golf course. The course opened in October of 1922 with only four holes available for playing. The remainder of the golf course was opened in September of 1924. From the year 1927-1939, the golf course and country club experienced once of its most successful periods, seen some of golf's greatest athletes such as Gene Sarazen and Walter Hagen. The club, for a time, saw a state of disrepair and depression. For a short time, the club became the Seminole County Club after renovation in 1945. Then, in the late 1940s, the New York Giants received the Mayfair Inn for Spring training which allowed them to take control of the golf course. This led to the most prosperous period of the golf course and country club becoming a part of the PGA tour between 1955 to 1957, seeing players like Arnold Palmer tee-off on the course. Now called the Mayfair Country Club, the club and golf course is located at 3536 Country Club Road in Sanford, Florida.
Chase & Company
Original 3 x 5 inch black and white photograph by Chase & Company, 1922: Chase Collection (MS 14), box 211, folder Sanford Country Club and Golf Course, Special and Area Studies Collections, George A. Smathers Libraries, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida.
Is Format Of
Digital reproduction of original 3 x 5 inch black and white photograph by Chase & Company, 1922.
Is Part Of
Chase Collection (MS 14), box 211, folder Sanford Country Club and Golf Course, Special and Area Studies Collections, George A. Smathers Libraries, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida.
Sanford Collection, Chase Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.
Is Referenced By
Folder referenced in Chase Collection finding guide, http://web.uflib.ufl.edu/spec/pkyonge/chase.htm.
3 x 5 inch black and white photograph
Audience Education Level
SS.K.A.1.2; SS.K.G.1.4; SS.K.G.2.1; SS.1.A.1.1; SS.1.A.2.2; SS.1.G.1.4; SS.1.G.1.5; SS.1.G.1.6; SS.2.A.1.1 SS.2.G.1.2; SS.3.A.1.1; SS.3.G.1.1; SS.3.G.2.4; SS.3.G.2.5; SS.3.G.2.6; SS.4.A.1.1; SS.4.A.7.1; SS.4.G.1.1; SS.5.A.1.1; SS.5.G.1.3; SS.5.G.1.4; SS.6.W.1.3; SS.7.G.2.3; SS.8.A.1.2; SS.8.A.1.5; SS.8.G.2.1; SS.912.A.1.1; SS.912.A.1.4; SS.912.A.4.11; SS.912.G.1.2; SS.912.G.1.4; SS.912.G.2.1; SS.912.W.1.3
Entire Chase Collection is comprised of four separate accessions from various donors, including Cecilia Johnson, the granddaughter of Joshua Coffin Chase and the children of Randall Chase.
The displayed collection item is housed at Special and Area Studies Collections at the University of Florida in Gainesville, Florida. Rights to this item belong to the said institution, and therefore inquiries about the item should be directed there. RICHES of Central Florida has obtained permission from Special and Area Studies Collections at the University of Florida to display this item for educational purposes only.
Special and Area Studies Collections, University of Florida
"The Mayfair Country Club. History." The Mayfair Country Club. http://www.mayfairlinks.com/history/.
Fisher, Hugh and Serena. "Historical Markers Located in Seminole County Florida." Sanford Historical Society, Inc. http://sanfordhistory.tripod.com/id22.html.
Sanford Historical Society, Inc. Sanford. Charleston, South Carolina: Arcadia Publishing, 2003.
External Reference Title
Still Image Item Type Metadata
1 black and white photograph
3 x 5 inch