Church Street, Showing Huguenot and St. Philip's Church Postcard

Dublin Core

Title

Church Street, Showing Huguenot and St. Philip's Church Postcard

Alternative Title

Huguenot and St. Philip's Church Postcard

Subject

Churches--United States
Episcopal Church--United States

Description

A postcard depicting a view of Church Street in Charleston, South Carolina, on which stand two of the oldest churches in the United States. St. Philip's Episcopal Church opened in 1723, after moving from its original 1680 site, which is now the site of St. Michael's Episcopal Church. The Huguenot Church was built in 1687 by a group of French Protestants who had settled in Charleston, but it was destroyed in 1796. The present structure is the third, which was completed in 1845 in the Gothic Revival style of architecture.

This postcard is part of a collection of postcards kept by Lucile Campbell, a schoolteacher in Sanford, Florida, for 30 years. In 1931, she took advantage of a special rate for teachers and sailed to Europe, where she traveled for several months and is thought to have acquired many of these postcards. During the 1940-1941 school year, Campbell taught at Sanford Grammar School. Before her retirement in 1970, she taught at many other area schools, including the Oviedo School, Westside Grammar School, and Pinecrest Elementary School. Campbell used these postcards as aids in her classrooms to teach advanced subjects, such as Shakespearean drama. The collection, along with her other teaching aids, papers, and photographs, was later found at Sanford Grammar School after it became the University of Central Florida's Public History Center. Campbell's postcard collection and photographs provide insight into the life of a respected Florida educator.

Source

Original 3 x 5 inch color postcard: ACC# SM-00-243, file folder 1 (U.S. blanks), box 10A, Lucile (Mary Lucile) Campbell Collection, UCF Public History Center, Sanford, Florida.

Publisher

Trouche, Paul E.

Date Created

ca. 1950-1959

Date Copyrighted

ca. 1950-1959

Contributor

Campbell, Lucile

Is Format Of

Digital reproduction of original 3 x 5 inch color postcard.

Is Part Of

File folder 1 (U.S. blanks), box 10A, Lucile (Mary Lucile) Campbell Collection, UCF Public History Center, Sanford, Florida.
Lucile Campbell Collection, Student Museum and UCF Public History Center Collection, Seminole County Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.

Format

application/pdf

Extent

325 KB

Medium

3 x 5 inch color postcard

Language

eng

Type

Still Image

Coverage

St. Philip's Episcopal Church, Charleston, South Carolina
Huguenot Church, Charleston, South Carolina

Accrual Method

Donation

Mediator

History Teacher
Geography Teacher

Provenance

Originally published by Paul E. Trouche.

Rights Holder

Copyright to this resource is held by the UCF Public History Center and is provided here by RICHES of Central Florida for educational purposes only.

Contributing Project

Aphasia Project

Curator

Raffel, Sara

Digital Collection

External Reference

"Our History: A Brief History of St. Philip's Church." St. Philip's Church. http://www.stphilipschurchsc.org/our-history.
"A History of the Huguenot Church." French Protestant (Huguenot) Church. http://www.huguenot-church.org/history.html.

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

1 color postcard

Physical Dimensions

3 x 5 inches

Locations

Categories