Famous Entrance to Hialeah Race Course's New Club House Postcard

Dublin Core

Title

Famous Entrance to Hialeah Race Course's New Club House Postcard

Alternative Title

Hialeah Race Course Postcard

Subject

Hialeah (Fla.)
Hialeah Racetrack (Hialeah, Fla.)
Horse racing--Florida

Description

A postcard depicting the new clubhouse at Hialeah Park Racing and Casino, located at 2200 East 4th Avenue in Hialeah, Florida. The race track was originally established by Glenn Curtiss (1878-1930) and James H. Bright for greyhound racing in 1922 and was used called the Miami Kennel Club. In 1930, after being several damaged by the Great Miami Hurricane of 1926, the track was sold to Joseph E. Widener (1871-1943), who opened a renovated track with new clubhouses, under the name Hialeah Park, on January 14, 1932. On March 2, 1979, the race track was added to the U.S. National Register of Historic Places, and on January 12, 1988, the site became eligible for designation as a National Historic Landmark. In 2001, Hialeah Park stopped hosting races and closed the park to the public due to state law that decreased the race track's ability to compete with nearby courses. The park's stables were demolished in 2007. The race track reopened on November 28, 2009, several months after the state legislature and the Seminole Tribe of Florida came to an agreement allowing Hialeah Park to operate slot machines and to hold Quarter Horse races.

This postcard is part of a collection of postcards kept by Lucile Campbell, a schoolteacher in Sanford, Florida, for 30 years. In 1931, she took advantage of a special rate for teachers and sailed to Europe, where she traveled for several months and is thought to have acquired many of these postcards. During the 1940-1941 school year, Campbell taught at Sanford Grammar School. Before her retirement in 1970, she taught at many other area schools, including the Oviedo School, Westside Grammar School, and Pinecrest Elementary School. Campbell used these postcards as aids in her classrooms to teach advanced subjects, such as Shakespearean drama. The collection, along with her other teaching aids, papers, and photographs, was later found at Sanford Grammar School after it became the University of Central Florida's Public History Center. Campbell's postcard collection and photographs provide insight into the life of a respected Florida educator.

Source

Original 3 x 5 inch color postcard: ACC# SM-00-243, file folder 1 (U.S. blanks), box 10A, Lucile (Mary Lucile) Campbell Collection, UCF Public History Center, Sanford, Florida.

Publisher

Curt Teich and Company

Date Created

ca. 1930-1939

Date Copyrighted

ca. 1930-1939

Contributor

Campbell, Lucile

Is Format Of

Digital reproduction of original 3 x 5 inch color postcard.

Is Part Of

File folder 1 (U.S. blanks), box 10A, Lucile (Mary Lucile) Campbell Collection, UCF Public History Center, Sanford, Florida.
Lucile Campbell Collection, Student Museum and UCF Public History Center Collection, Seminole County Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.

Format

application/pdf

Extent

325 KB

Medium

3 x 5 inch color postcard

Language

eng

Type

Still Image

Coverage

Hialeah, Florida

Accrual Method

Donation

Mediator

History Teacher
Economics Teacher
Geography Teacher

Provenance

Originally published by Curt Teich and Company.

Rights Holder

Copyright to this resource is held by the UCF Public History Center and is provided here by RICHES of Central Florida for educational purposes only.

Contributing Project

Aphasia Project

Curator

Raffel, Sara

Digital Collection

External Reference

"Our History." Hialeah Park Racing & Casino. http://hialeahparkcasino.com/about/history/.

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

1 color photographic postcard

Physical Dimensions

3 x 5 inches

Locations

Categories