Letter from Cecil A. Tucker II to George Percy (May 15, 1991)

Dublin Core

Title

Letter from Cecil A. Tucker II to George Percy (May 15, 1991)

Alternative Title

Tucker to Percy (May 15, 1991)

Subject

Sanford (Fla.)
Buildings--Florida
Farmers' markets--Florida
Historic preservation--Florida
Restoration and conservation
Museums--Florida

Description

Letter from Cecil A. Tucker II, president of the Seminole County Historical Society, to George Percy, director of the Division of Historical Services, in support of the restoration and preservation of the Sanford State Farmers' Market in 1991.

The Sanford State Farmers' Market, at 1300 South French Avenue, was founded in 1934 in order to provide a central location in which farmers would sell their produce directly to consumers. The idea for the Sanford State Farmers' Market was devised by Fred Dorner and Gus Schmach, both members of the Seminole Agricultural Club. Sanford Chamber of Commerce president Harry Papworth also contributed to the development of the market. The Federal Emergency Relief Administration (FERA) authorized construction plans on June 11, 1934. On June 20, 1934, the City of Sanford donated a portion of the Alex V. French properties to the State Marketing Board, which selected the northwest corner of French Avenue and Thirteenth Street. The board approved the installation of telegraph and telephone equipment, as well as a three-pump filling station. The Sanford State Farmer's Market opened on December 18, 1934. By 1939, the Farmers' Market was bringing a total volume of business of $627,065.81. In 1941, business volume reached over $700,000. On April 4, 1957, a fire destroyed the building and caused damages estimated at $2.5 million. Reconstruction began almost immediately and the Farmers' Market was expected to re-open by the fall of 1957. In 1991, plans were created to restore, preserve, and convert the citrus packing house into a museum.

Creator

Tucker, Cecil A. II

Source

Original letter from Cecil A. Tucker II to George Percy, May 15, 1991: State Farmers' Market Collection, Museum of Seminole County History, Sanford, Florida.

Date Created

1991-05-15

Is Format Of

Digital reproduction of original letter from Cecil A. Tucker II to George Percy, May 15, 1991.

Is Part Of

State Farmers' Market Collection, Museum of Seminole County History, Sanford, Florida.
Sanford State Farmers' Market Collection, Sanford Collection, Seminole County Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.

Format

image/jpg

Extent

57.2 KB

Medium

1 page typed letter

Language

eng

Type

Text

Coverage

Museum of Seminole County History, Sanford, Florida
Division of Historical Resources, Tallahassee, Florida
Sanford State Farmers' Market, Sanford, Florida

Spatial Coverage

28.743181, -81.299129
30.438037, -84.284999
28.800733, -81.273112

Temporal Coverage

1991-05-15/1991-05-15

Accrual Method

Donation

Mediator

History Teacher
Economics Teacher
Geography Teacher

Provenance

Originally created by Cecil A. Tucker II.

Rights Holder

Copyright to this resource is held by Cecil A. Tucker II and is provided here by RICHES of Central Florida for educational purposes only.

Contributing Project

Curator

Cepero, Laura

Digital Collection

External Reference

Florida. Florida State Farmers Markets:...Annual Report. Jacksonville, Fla: Board, 1945-, 1945.
Lewis, L. H. Florida State Farmers' Markets. Tallahassee, Fla: State of Florida Dept. of Agriculture, 1955. http://ufdc.ufl.edu/UF00015016.
Sheffield, Glenn. "Sanford State Farmers' Market." The Historical Marker Database. http://www.hmdb.org/Marker.asp?Marker=52232.

Transcript

Seminole County Historical Society
May 15, 1991
Mr. George Percy, Director
Division of Historical Resources
R. A. Gray Building
500 South Bronough Street Tallahassee, Fl 32399-0250
Dear Mr. Percy,
On behalf of the officers, directors, and members of the Seminole County Historical Society, it is with considerable pleasure that I write this letter of support for the request. for a Special Category Grant for the restoration, preservation, and conversion to a museum of Unit 5 at the Sanford State Farmer's Market.
Unit 5 was used primarily as a citrus packing house and is one of the original buildings in the first state owned farmer's market complex in the nation.
We are currently in the process of getting it placed on the National Register of Historic Places in America.
The proposed museum will bring to the attention of the public a portion of little known history of how projects such as the farmer's market system helped shape the economy and destiny of re¬gions throughout our state and nation.
In addition, the anticipated exhibits will reach far beyond this in their interest level of the old tools, machinery and en¬gines of yesteryear.
Should any additional information concerning the historical significance of this project or any part of the grant request be needed, please do not hesitate to call upon us to provide it.

Sincerely yours,

Cecil A. Tucker, II President
Seminole County Historical Society


CC: Board of Seminole County Commissioners

300 BUSH BOULEVARD SANFORD, FLORIDA 32771
PHONE NO. 305-321-2489

Document Item Type Metadata

Original Format

1 page typewritten letter

Locations

Categories