Westside Grammar Elementary School Fourth Grade Class, 1963-1964

Dublin Core

Title

Westside Grammar Elementary School Fourth Grade Class, 1963-1964

Alternative Title

Westside Grammar School Class

Subject

Sanford (Fla.)
Schools
Education--Florida

Description

Lucile Campbell's fourth grade class at Westside Grammar Elementary School during the 1963-1964 school year. Freeman E. Baggett was the principal for that school year.

Sanford High School was originally established at 301 West Seventh Street in 1902. The building was designed by W.G. Talley in the Romanesque revival style. Due to an increasing student population, a new school building was constructed on Sanford Avenue in 1911. The original building on Seventh Street served as Westside Grammar Elementary School, which was later renamed Sanford Grammar School. In 1984, the building was placed on the National Registry of Historic Places and converted into the Student Museum. The building reopened as the University of Central Florida's Public History Center in 2012. In 1927, a high school campus was designed by Elton J. Moughton in the Mediterranean revival style and constructed at 1700 French Avenue. The school reopened on January 10 and was renamed Seminole High School. In 1960, the high school moved to a new campus at 2701 Ridgewood Avenue and the former building on French Avenue was converted to Sanford Junior High School, which was later renamed Sanford Middle School. The old building was demolished in the summer of 1991 and replaced by a $5.77 million school complex. As of 2013, Seminole High School offers various Advanced Placement courses, the Academy for Health Careers, and the International Baccalaureate Programme for students.

Source

Original 9.5 x 13 inch black and white photograph: Coursen Studio, Daytona Beach, Florida: item SM-200-567, UCF Public History Center, Sanford, Florida.

Publisher

Coursen Studio

Date Created

ca. 1963-1964

Is Format Of

Digital reproduction of original 9.5 x 13 inch black and white photograph: Coursen Studio, Daytona Beach, Florida.

Is Part Of

UCF Public History Center, Sanford, Florida.
Seminole County Public Schools Collection, Student Museum and UCF Public History Center Collection, Sanford Collection, Seminole County Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.

Format

image/jpg

Extent

171 KB

Medium

9.5 x 13 inch black and white photograph

Language

eng

Type

Still Image

Coverage

Westside Grammar Elementary School, Sanford, Florida

Spatial Coverage

28.805814, -81.270562

Temporal Coverage

1963-08-01/1964-06-30

Accrual Method

Donation

Mediator

History Teacher
Geography Teacher

Provenance

Originally created by Coursen Studio.

Rights Holder

Copyright to this resource is held by the Student Museum and is provided here by RICHES of Central Florida for educational purposes only.

Contributing Project

Curator

Cepero, Laura

Digital Collection

External Reference

Sanford Grammar School 1902-1977. Sanford, FL: Seminole County Public School Board, 1977.
Adams, William A. "Sanford Grammar School Nomination Proposal National Register of Historic Places." May, 1984.
"Public History Center." Public History Center, University of Central Florida. http://www.publichistorycenter.cah.ucf.edu/.
"Seminole High School." Seminole High School, Seminole County Public Schools. http://www.seminolehs.scps.k12.fl.us/.
"Student Museum." Seminole County Public Schools. http://www.scps.k12.fl.us/studentmuseum/Home.aspx.

Transcript

Lucille Campbell
TEACHER 5TH GRADE

WESTSIDE GRAMMAR ELEMENTARY SCHOOL

Freeman E. Baggett

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

1 black and white photograph

Physical Dimensions

9.5 x 13 inch

Locations

Categories