St. Paul Missionary Baptist Church Bell

Dublin Core

Title

St. Paul Missionary Baptist Church Bell

Alternative Title

St. Paul Missionary Baptist Church

Subject

Sanford (Fla.)
Churches--Florida
Baptists--Florida
Baptist Church

Description

St. Paul Missionary Baptist Church, located at 813 Pine Avenue in Sanford, Florida in 2011. Considered the oldest African-American Baptist church in Sanford, Florida, St. Paul Missionary Baptist Church was first organized under an arbor brush in 1878. Construction of the first church building began in 1880 on land purchased from General Henry S. Sanford and his wife Gertrude in November of 1881. The church was a small wooden structure administered by its first settled pastor, Reverend Paul Youmans, until 1886. A new, larger church was constructed in 1889 and served the congregation until its condemnation in 1958. After the church was condemned, members of the congregation held services at Hopper Elementary for approximately one month. Following the use of the elementary school, the congregation met at the Seventh Day Adventist Church located on the corner of Pine Avenue and East Seventh Street. After the completion of their current church, the congregation finally relocated to their new building on February 5, 1961. This church structure stands at the same location of the initial church's small wooden building, and continues to demonstrate deep pride within their community's faith, history, and involvement.

Creator

MacDonald, Kathleen

Source

Original color digital image by Kathleen A. MacDonald, August 3, 2011.

Publisher

RICHES of Central Florida

Date Created

2011-08-03

Format

image/jpg

Extent

1.54 MB

Medium

Born digital image

Language

eng

Type

Still Image

Coverage

Sanford, Florida

Spatial Coverage

28.804809, -81.262503

Temporal Coverage

2011-08-03/

Accrual Method

Item Creation

Audience Education Level

SS.K.A.1.2
SS.1.A.1.1
SS.2.A.1.1
SS.2.C.2.5
SS.3.A.1.1
SS.3.A.1.2
SS.3.G.4.4
SS.4.A.1.1
SS.5.A.1.1
SS.6.W.1.3
SS.8.A.1.5
SS.8.A.2.7
SS.912.A.1.2
SS.912.W.1.3

Mediator

History Teacher

Provenance

Originally created by Kathleen MacDonald and owned by RICHES of Central Florida.

Rights Holder

RICHES of Central Florida

Curator

MacDonald, Kathleen

Digital Collection

RICHES MI

External Reference

Bentley, Altermese Smith. History of the First South Florida Missionary Baptist Association, 1888-1988. Chuluota, Fla: Published for the Association by Mickler House Publishers, 1988.
Joiner, E. Earl. A History of Florida Baptists. Jacksonville, Fla: Printed by Convention Press, 1972.
Flewellyn, Valada S. African Americans of Sanford. Charleston, SC: Arcadia Pub, 2009.

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

1 color digital image

Files

SC00697.jpg

Citation

MacDonald, Kathleen. “St. Paul Missionary Baptist Church Bell.” RICHES of Central Florida accessed January 29, 2023, https://richesmi.cah.ucf.edu/omeka/items/show/2256.

Locations

Categories

Transcribe This Item

  1. SC00697.jpg