St. John Missionary Baptist Church, 2011

Dublin Core

Title

St. John Missionary Baptist Church, 2011

Alternative Title

St. John Missionary Baptist Church

Subject

Sanford (Fla.)
Churches--Florida
African American churches--Southern States
Baptist Church
Baptists--Florida
Georgetown (Sanford, Fla.)

Description

St. John Missionary Baptist Church, located at 920 Cypress Avenue in Georgetown, an African-American community in Sanford, Florida, in 2011. St. John was organized under the leadership of Reverend M. W. Evans on May 10, 1895. Within a few years, the church was rebuilt at its current location, on the corner of Ninth Street and Cypress Avenue, under the guidance of its second pastor, Reverend C. J. Smith.

The church experienced tremendous growth during the first half of the 20th century, allowing for a parsonage to be built in 1922, during the administration of Reverend C. L. Bradley, to aid in the housing of its succeeding pastors. The new construction plan was designed by famed African-American architect, Prince W. Spears.

By 1941, the church experienced its first split, resulting in the creation of the New Bethel Missionary Baptist Church, located just two blocks away at 618 East Tenth Street. Throughout the next decade, St. John's was guided by a variety of reverends and pastors, who helped build additions onto the church structure, including restroom facilities and a basement.

After the church operated without a pastor for a period of 15 months, the congregation called upon Reverend B. Whitehurst in June of 1958 to spear-head the church. Under Rev. Whitehurst, St. John became more spiritually and financially fortified, and took its most progressive steps by involving itself in the fight for the African-American community's fight for equal rights and numerous city and county-wide projects. In 1969, the church was remodeled and refurnished, and continued to experience the growth of its congregation. After 116 years of service to Sanford's African-American population, the church carries on its legacy by maintaining their involvement within the current neighborhood, through the offering of weekly services, prayer groups, and community service projects.

Creator

MacDonald, Kathleen

Source

Original color digital images by Kathleen MacDonald, June 17, 2011.

Date Created

2011-06-17

Is Part Of

Churches of Sanford Collection, Sanford Collection, Seminole County Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.

Format

image/jpg

Extent

5.19 MB
4.83 MB
4.53 MB
5.88 MB

Medium

4 color digital images

Language

eng

Type

Still Image

Coverage

St. John Missionary Baptist Church, Georgetown, Sanford, Florida

Accrual Method

Item Creation

Mediator

History Teacher
Civics/Government Teacher
Geography Teacher

Provenance

Originally created by Kathleen MacDonald and published by RICHES of Central Florida.

Curator

MacDonald, Kathleen

Digital Collection

Source Repository

External Reference

"About Us." St. John Missionary Baptist Church of Sanford Florida, Inc. http://www.stjohnmbchurchsanford.com/#!about_us/c55t.
Joiner, E. Earl. AA History of Florida Baptists. Jacksonville, Fla: Printed by Convention Press, 1972.
Flewellyn, Valada S. African Americans of Sanford. Charleston, SC: Arcadia Pub, 2009.

Transcript

St. JOHN MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH
"Be Ye Doers Of The Word..."

SUNDAY SCHOOL 9:30AM
WORSHIP 11:00AM
WED. PRAYER 6:00PM
"JESUS TO THE RESCUE"
VACATION BIBLE SCHOOL
JUNE 13-17 2011 6-8 PM

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

4 color digital images

Locations

Categories

Transcribe This Item

  1. SC00693.jpg
  2. SC00694.jpg
  3. SC00696.jpg
  4. SC00695.jpg