Lyman High School Greyhounds Varsity Football Squad, 1966

Dublin Core

Title

Lyman High School Greyhounds Varsity Football Squad, 1966

Alternative Title

Lyman Greyhounds

Subject

Longwood (Fla.)
High schools--Florida
High school sports
Schools
School sports--United States
Sports--Florida
High school football players
Football--Florida

Description

Lyman High School's Greyhound varsity football squad for the 1965-1966 school year. Lyman is a Seminole County Public School located in Longwood, Florida. In 1923, a board of trustees agreed to construct a new school to accommodate the growing population in the Longwood and Altamonte Springs area. Construction began at 1725 County Road 427 in 1924 and opened in September 1924 with Professor Howard Douglas as its first principal. Lyman School, as it was originally called, was named after Howard Charles Lyman, a citizen who was active in planning the school's establishment but died a few days before construction began. In just two years, Lyman became an accredited junior high school and its campus had been expanded with six rooms. With W. J. Wells as principal, the Lyman School achieved accreditation through 12th grade in 1929. In 1963, the school was renamed Lyman High School when it became an accredited institution with Carlton D. Henley as principal. In 1966, Lyman High became integrated with both white and black students.

A new campus was constructed at 865 South Ronald Reagan Boulevard in 1969. The original campus became R. T. Milwee Junior High School, named after Rayburn T. Milwee, Sr., who taught at Lyman from 1939 to 1949, served as principal from 1949 to 1952, and served as Superintendent of Seminole County Schools from 1952 to 1967. In 1970, Seminole County transitioned from the junior high school system to the middle school system, causing Lyman High School to now accommodate 9th grade in addition to 10th, 11th, and 12th grades. During the transition period from 1970 to 1971, the school mandated "double sessions," in which half of the school would attend from 7:00 am to 1:30 pm and the other half would attend from 11:30 am to 6:00 pm.

In June of 1971, the Milwee Middle school, where Lyman's original campus was, closed and reopened as a satellite campus for Lyman High School during the 1971-1972 school year. For the 1972-1973 academic year, all Lyman students returned to the primary campus and the satellite campus was used for Lake Brantley High School instead. In 2000, Lyman established the Institute for Engineering, a magnet program emphasizing mathematics and science.

Abstract

Yearbook photo of varsity squad, American Football
Lyman High School 1965-1966 school year

Source

Print reproduction of original 7.75 x 4.75 inch black and white photograph by The Greyhound Staff of 1966: The Greyhound 1966, item 373.105 LYM 1966, (Longwood, FL: Lyman High School, 1966): Seminole County Public Schools Collection, UCF Public History Center, Sanford, Florida.

Publisher

Date Created

ca. 1965-1966

Date Copyrighted

1966

Date Issued

1966

Contributor

Barnes, James
Legg, Cindy
Grimwood, Stephen
Perrault, Carole
Sukhia, Douglas
Kent, Kathy
Blair, Tim
Benkelman, Ann
Lincoln, Gail
Gunter, Gary
Carroll, Bobbie
Sherwen, Libby
Crocker, Alice
Payne, Nancy
Hearn, Dennis
Sweeney, Pat

Has Format

Original black and white photograph by The Greyhound Staff of 1966.

Is Format Of

Digital reproduction of reprinted 7.75 x 4.75 inch black and white photograph by The Greyhound Staff of 1966: The Greyhound 1966, item 373.105 LYM 1966, (Longwood, FL: Lyman High School, 1966).

Is Part Of

The Greyhound 1966, item 373.105 LYM 1966, (Longwood, FL: Lyman High School, 1966).
Seminole County Public Schools Collection, UCF Public History Center, Sanford, Florida.
Seminole County Public Schools Collection, Student Museum and UCF Public History Center Collection, Sanford Collection, Seminole County Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.

Is Referenced By

The Greyhound 1966, item 373.105 LYM 1966, (Longwood, FL: Lyman High School, 1966), page 130.

Format

image/jpg

Extent

669 KB

Medium

7.75 x 4.75 inch black and white photograph

Language

eng

Type

Still Image

Coverage

Lyman High School, Longwood, Florida

Accrual Method

Donation

Mediator

History Teacher
Geography Teacher

Provenance

Originally published by Lyman High School.

Rights Holder

Copyright to this resource is held by Lyman High School and is provided here by RICHES of Central Florida for educational purposes only.

Contributing Project

Copyright to the resource is held by Lyman High School and is provided here by RICHES of Central Florida for educational purposes only.

Curator

Cepero, Laura

Digital Collection

External Reference

"The History of Lyman High School." Lyman High School Classes of 1975 & 1976. http://www.lyman7576.com/history.html.
"Lyman High School's Namesake." Lyman High Class of 1970. http://www.lymanhigh.org/lymanhistory.html.
"Lyman History." Lyman High School, Seminole County Public Schools. http://lyman.scps.k12.fl.us/Parents/ParentsAH/HistoryofLyman.aspx.
"Milwee History." Milwee Middle School. http://www.milwee.scps.k12.fl.us/Home/HomeRedirects/OurHistory.aspx.

Transcript

VARSITY FOOTBALL SQUAD
1 st ROW: Jim Lucas, Gary Smith, Mike Hargis, Paul Lambert, Denis Marois, David Straughan, Larry Baker. 2nd ROW: Ferman Harmon, Mike Warren, Ron Boston, John Angel, Ivan Rakyta, Bob Olson, Jody Toole, Ron Greene, Tom Fletter. 3rd ROW: Lester Woodall, Greg Danko, Larry Chubb, David Drueding, John Stuart, Byrd Brownell, Bruce Stuart, Russell Brandes, Larry Miller, Danny Overton.

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

1 black and white photograph

Physical Dimensions

7.75 x 4.75 inch

Locations

Categories