Master Plan, Sanford Municipal Airport, Sanford, Seminole County, Florida

Dublin Core

Title

Master Plan, Sanford Municipal Airport, Sanford, Seminole County, Florida

Alternative Title

Sanford Municipal Airport Master Plan

Subject

Sanford (Fla.)
Airports--Florida
Maps--Illustrations

Description

Master plan for the Sanford Municipal Airport, located at 1200 Red Cleveland Boulevard in Sanford, Florida. This map was drawn by R. G. Lubinski and shows the planned layout of the airport. F. T. Williams served as the chief engineer.

The airport originally began as the Naval Air Station (NAS) Sanford. The air station was commissioned on November 3, 1942, as a naval aviation training facility during World War II. The Navy continued to train pilots at NAS Sanford throughout the Korean War and Vietnam War. NAS Sanford was temporarily decommissioned after World War II in 1946, and decommissioned again in 1950 when it was the Naval Auxiliary Air Station (NAAS) Sanford, due to the outbreak of the Korean War and the ongoing Cold War. Soon afterward, the station was renamed NAS Sanford and redesigned as a full naval air station. On February 6, 1959, NAS Sanford was dedicated as Ramey Field in honor of Lieutenant Commander Robert W. Ramey. In 1968, due to lack of funding caused by the Vietnam War, Congress directed the closure of NAS Sanford.

The City of Sanford assumed authority over the former NAS Sanford facility the year after it closed and renamed it the Sanford Airport, which was managed by Commander J. S. "Red" Cleveland. The airport underwent various name changes over the next several decades: Sanford Regional Airport, Central Florida Regional Airport, Orlando Sanford Regional Airport, and its current name, Orlando-Sanford International Airport. Throughout the 1980s and 1990s, several Naval buildings were demolished and new buildings were constructed.

Creator

Lubinski, R. G.

Source

Original 20.75 x 22.375 inch drawing by R. G. Lubinski: "Master Plan, Sanford Municipal Airport, Sanford, Seminole County, Florida." Sanford, Florida: ;Sanford Museum, Sanford, Florida.

Date Created

ca. 1968-1999

Is Format Of

Digital reproduction of original 20.75 x 22.375 inch drawing by R. G. Lubinski: "Master Plan, Sanford Municipal Airport, Sanford, Seminole County, Florida." Sanford, Florida.

Is Part Of

Sanford Museum, Sanford, Florida.
Naval Air Station Sanford Collection, Sanford Collection, Seminole County Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.

Format

image/jpg

Extent

109 KB

Medium

20.75 x 22.375 inch drawing

Language

eng

Type

Still Image

Coverage

Sanford Municipal Airport, Sanford, Florida

Accrual Method

Donation

Mediator

History Teacher
Economics Teacher
Geography Teacher

Provenance

Originally created by R. G. Lubinski.

Rights Holder

Copyright to this resource is held by the Sanford Museum and is provided here by RICHES of Central Florida for educational purposes only.

Curator

Cepero, Laura

Digital Collection

Source Repository

External Reference

Metzger, Lewis W. From Celery City to Navy Town: The Impact of Naval Air Station Sanford during World War II. Orlando, Fla: University of Central Florida, 2010.
"Naval Air Station Sanford Memorial." Sanford Airport Memorial Committee. http://www.nassanfordmemorial.com/home.htm.
Shettle, M. L. United States Naval Air Stations of World War II. Bowersville, GA: Schaertel Pub. Co, 1995.

Transcript

GENEVA AVE.

MELLONVILLE AVE.

SIPES AVE.

ONORO ROAD

MASTER PLAN
SANFORD MUNICIPAL AIRPORT
SANFORD, SEMINOLE COUNTY, FLORIDA.
F.T. WILLIAMS, CITY ENG.
DRAWN BY R.G. LUBINSKI[?]
SANFORD, FLORIDA

LEGEND:
HEAVY SOLID LINE - PRESENT WPA PROJECT SODDED FIELD
LIGHT SOLID LINE - SECOND STAGE of DEVELOPMENT. 4000 ft. RUNWAYS
DOTTED LINE - ULTIMATE DEVELOPMENT

GOLDEN LAKE

CRIPPEN ROAD

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

1 drawing

Physical Dimensions

20.75 x 22.375 inch

Locations

Categories