Co-Educational Physical Education Class at Seminole High School

Dublin Core

Title

Co-Educational Physical Education Class at Seminole High School

Alternative Title

Co-Ed P.E. at Seminole High

Subject

Sanford (Fla.)
High schools--Florida
Students--Florida
High school students--Florida
Sports--Florida
High school sports
Physical education and training--Florida
Sports--Florida
High school sports
Tennis--United States
Tennis players--United States

Description

Co-educational physical education class at Seminole High School in 1959. Originally located at 301 West Seventh Street in Sanford, Florida, Seminole High School was first established as Sanford High School in 1902. The building was designed by W. G. Talley in the Romanesque revival style. Due to an increasing student population, a new school building was constructed on Sanford Avenue in 1911. The original building on Seventh Street served as Westside Grammar Elementary School, which was later renamed Sanford Grammar School. In 1984, the building was placed on the National Registry of Historic Places and converted into the Student Museum. The building reopened as the University of Central Florida's Public History Center in 2012. In 1927, a high school campus was designed by Elton J. Moughton in the Mediterranean revival style and constructed at 1700 French Avenue. The school reopened on January 10 and was renamed Seminole High School. In 1960, the high school moved to a new campus at 2701 Ridgewood Avenue and the former building on French Avenue was converted to Sanford Junior High School, which was later renamed Sanford Middle School. The old building was demolished in the summer of 1991 and replaced by a $5.77 million school complex. As of 2013, Seminole High School offers various Advanced Placement courses, the Academy for Health Careers, and the International Baccalaureate Programme for students.

Abstract

Scarpbook photograph of Seminole High boys and girls tennis players

Source

Original 6 x 4 inch black and white photograph, 1959: Special Project 100th Anniversary SCPS Box, Seminole County Public Schools Collection, UCF Public History Center, Sanford, Florida.

Date Created

1959

Is Format Of

Digital reproduction of original 6 x 4 inch black and white photograph.

Is Part Of

Special Project 100th Anniversary SCPS Box, Seminole County Public Schools Collection, UCF Public History Center, Sanford, Florida.
Seminole County Public Schools Collection, Student Museum and UCF Public History Center Collection, Sanford Collection, Seminole County Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.

Format

image/jpg

Extent

464 KB

Medium

6 x 4 inch black and white photograph

Language

eng

Type

Still Image

Coverage

Seminole High School, Sanford, Florida

Spatial Coverage


Temporal Coverage


Accrual Method

Donation

Mediator

History Teacher
Geography Teacher

Rights Holder

Copyright to this resource is held by the UCF Public History Center and is provided here by RICHES of Central Florida for educational purposes only.

Curator

Cepero, Laura

Digital Collection

External Reference

"Seminole High School." Seminole High School, Seminole County Public Schools. http://www.seminolehs.scps.k12.fl.us/.
Sanford Historical Society (Fla.). Sanford. Charleston, SC: Arcadia, 2003.

Transcript

P.E. Becomes Diversified
athletics 1959
Seminole High School

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

1 black and white photograph

Physical Dimensions

6 x 4 inch

Locations

Categories

Transcribe This Item

  1. PHC00009.jpg