Sanford Grammar School Faculty

Dublin Core

Title

Sanford Grammar School Faculty

Alternative Title

Sanford Grammar Faculty

Subject

Sanford (Fla.)
Elementary schools--United States
Grammar schools
Faculty (Education)
Teachers--Florida
Educators--Florida
Schools

Description

The Sanford Grammar school faculty standing on the front steps of the school building circa 1922. The faculty members photographed include Ruth Gillon (married name: Ruth Swinney), Gladys Adams, Carolyn Spencer, Mildred Babcock, Pearl Babbet, Ruth Kanner, Edna Chilterden, Mrs. Arrington, Claire McMillen, and Laura Christenden.

Sanford High School was originally established at 301 West Seventh Street in Sanford, Florida 1902. The building was designed by W. G. Talley in the Romanesque revival style. Due to an increasing student population, a new school building was constructed on Sanford Avenue in 1911. The original building on Seventh Street served as Westside Grammar Elementary School, which was later renamed Sanford Grammar School. In 1984, the building was placed on the National Registry of Historic Places and converted into the Student Museum. The building reopened as the University of Central Florida's Public History Center in 2012. In 1927, a high school campus was designed by Elton J. Moughton in the Mediterranean revival style and constructed at 1700 French Avenue. The school reopened on January 10 and was renamed Seminole High School. In 1960, the high school moved to a new campus at 2701 Ridgewood Avenue and the former building on French Avenue was converted to Sanford Junior High School, which was later renamed Sanford Middle School. The old building was demolished in the summer of 1991 and replaced by a $5.77 million school complex. As of 2013, Seminole High School offers various Advanced Placement courses, the Academy for Health Careers, and the International Baccalaureate Programme for students.

Source

Original 7.15 x 9.15 inch black and white photograph: Main Lobby Display, Seminole County Public School Collection, UCF Public History Center, Sanford, Florida.

Date Created

ca. 1922

Contributor

Swinney, Ruth Gillon

Is Format Of

Digital reproduction of original 7.15 x 9.15 inch black and white photograph.

Is Part Of

Main Lobby Display, Seminole County Public School Collection, UCF Public History Center, Sanford, Florida.
Seminole County Public Schools Collection, Student Museum and UCF Public History Center Collection, Sanford Collection, Seminole County Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.

Format

image/jpg

Extent

321 KB

Medium

7.15 x 9.15 inch black and white photograph

Language

eng

Type

Still Image

Coverage

Sanford Grammar School, Sanford, Florida

Spatial Coverage


Temporal Coverage


Accrual Method

Donation

Mediator

History Teacher
Geography Teacher

Provenance

Originally owned by Ruth Gillon Swinney.

Rights Holder

Copyright to this resource is held by the UCF Public History Center and is provided here by RICHES of Central Florida for educational purposes only.

Curator

Joo, Kyung Mee
Cepero, Laura

Digital Collection

External Reference

"Seminole High School." Seminole High School, Seminole County Public Schools. http://www.seminolehs.scps.k12.fl.us/.
"Public History Center." Public History Center, University of Central Florida. http://www.publichistorycenter.cah.ucf.edu/.
Sanford Historical Society (Fla.). Sanford. Charleston, SC: Arcadia, 2003.
"Student Museum." Seminole County Public Schools. http://www.scps.k12.fl.us/studentmuseum/Home.aspx.

Transcript

Back:
__

Ruth Gillon
Gladys Adams
Carolyn Spencer
Mildred Babcock
__
__

Mrs. Barber
Mrs. Babbet, Pearl
Ruth Kanner
Edna Chilterden
Mrs. Arrington
Mrs./Ms. McMillen - Claire
Laura Christenden

__

Sanford Grammar Grades 1-8
Faculty Circa 1922

Hazel,
Pictures donated by
Ruth (Gillon) Swinney
Ph. 322-2352

Front:
Sanford Grammar Faculty - Circa 1922 - Grades 1-8

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

1 black and white photograph

Physical Dimensions

7.15 x 9.15 inches

Locations

Categories