307-311 South Sanford Avenue

Dublin Core

Title

307-311 South Sanford Avenue

Alternative Title

307-311 S. Sanford Ave.

Subject

Sanford (Fla.)
African Americans--Florida
Georgetown (Sanford, Fla.)

Description

The building located at 307-311 South Sanford Avenue in Georgetown, an historic African-American neighborhood in Sanford, Florida. The earliest known occupants of Suite 307 were two African-American residents: M. J. Bradford in 1911 and Judge Williams in 1917. By 1924, Williams had vacated this residency and then ran his restaurant at 305 South Sanford Avenue from approximately 1924 to 1925. In 1926, Dixie Gardens Corp. Real Estate was listed at this address, as well as the Boteler-Jackson Company Inc., a wholesale confectioner business, was listed at Suite 307. By 1947, Howard Boteler was operating his business at Suites 305-307 independently of his former company. The Boteler Howard Company, a wholesale confectioner business, was run at 500-502 South Sanford Avenue from approximately 1952 to 1965. In 1965, this address was listed as vacant. By 1975, Café Tavern had taken over the lot.

In 1911, three residents were listed at 309 South Sanford Avenue: Peter Barkett, G. W. Wilson, and Jacob Frazier; the latter two were African Americans. Another African American, S. M. Harris, resided here in 1917. By 1924, James Tsacrios was operating his grocery from this location. The Style Shop Ready-to-wear was listed at this address in 1926 . From approximately 1947 to 1952, a black-owned bar, originally named C.C. Sheffield & Son Beer and later renamed C.C. Sheffield & Son Tavern, was located here. In 1965, Friendly Café was located at this address, though the café later moved to 320 South Sanford Avenue.

The first known occupant of Suite 311 was African-American resident W. R. Charlton in 1911. In 1924, I. E. Kersey & Son Meats was located here, but the lot was listed as vacant in 1926. From approximately 1947 to 1952, an African-American-owned bar, originally named Al's Tavern and later renamed Al's Place Tavern, was run at this address. By 1965, Bennie's Pool Room had been occupying this lot, but it became vacant by 1975.  At the time that this photograph was taken in January 2012, these lots were vacant with no building.

Creator

Rock, Adam

Source

Original color digital image by Adam Rock, January 23, 2012.

Date Created

2012-01-23

Is Part Of

Sanford Avenue Collection, Georgetown Collection, Sanford Collection, Seminole County Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.

Format

image/jpg

Extent

305 KB

Medium

1 color digital image

Language

eng

Type

Still Image

Coverage

Georgetown, Sanford, Florida

Accrual Method

Item Creation

Mediator

History Teacher
Economics Teacher
Geography Teacher

Provenance

Originally created by Adam Rock and published by RICHES of Central Florida.

Contributing Project

Curator

Cepero, Laura
Rock, Adam

Digital Collection

Source Repository

External Reference

Flewellyn, Valada S. African Americans of Sanford. Charleston, SC: Arcadia Pub, 2009.
"Pathways to History - Historic Georgetown." City of Sanford. http://www.sanfordfl.gov/index.aspx?page=483.
Sanford, Florida City Directory, 1911. Sanford, Florida: R.L. Polk & Company, 1911.
Sanford, Florida City Directory, 1917-1918. Jacksonville, FL: R.L. Polk & Co., 1917.
Sanford, Florida City Directory, 1924. Sanford, Florida: R.L. Polk & Company, 1924.
Sanford, Florida City Directory, 1926. Sanford, Florida: R.L. Polk & Company, 1926.
Sanford, Florida City Directory, 1947. Sanford, Florida: R.L. Polk & Company, 1947.
Sanford, Florida City Directory, 1952. Sanford, Florida: R.L. Polk & Company, 1952.
Sanford, Florida City Directory, 1965. Sanford, Florida: R.L. Polk & Company, 1965.
Sanford, Florida City Directory, 1975. Sanford, Florida: R.L. Polk & Company, 1975.

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

1 color digital image

Locations

Categories