The more successful of the two, Belair Grove, was an experimental grove located three miles southwest of the city named after Sanford. It was part of the Sanford Grant, a 12,547.15-square acre allotment of land purchased by Henry Sanford in 1870. In Belair, Sanford introduced over 140 varieties of citrus plants. All were tested to determine if Florida citrus growers could effectively grow and introduce new varieties into the burgeoning citrus market. Sanford also grew exotic plants acquired from Central and South America, many of which survived the 1886 freeze. Sanford mainly used Belair as his own experiment station, but ultimately the findings and reports would be used by other citrus growers throughout Florida. Eventually, following Sanford's death in 1891, his wife, Gertrude Ellen Dupuy Sanford (1841-1902), handed over the operations of Belair to Sydney Octacius Chase, Sr. (1860-1941) and Joshua Coffin Chase (1858-1948).