Public Libraries in the United States of America: Their History, Condition, and Management from the Albertson Public Library

Dublin Core

Title

Public Libraries in the United States of America: Their History, Condition, and Management from the Albertson Public Library

Alternative Title

Public Libraries in the USA

Subject

Orlando (Fla)
Libraries--Florida

Description

A library book called Public Libraries in the United States of America: Their History, Condition, and Management from the Albertson Public Library. The book is from the Albertson Public Library, located at 101 East Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando, Florida.

Before there was a public library in Orlando, the local Sorosis Club ran a circulating library for the city. After years of running the library out of homes and clubhouses, the Sorosis Club joined the Board of Education in an effort to organize an official public library. In 1919, the Mayor of Orlando, Eugene Goodman Duckworth (1875-1959), secured the corner of Central Avenue and Rosalind Avenue as the site for the new library. A $73,983 contract was drafted and Murry S. King (1870-1925) was hired as the architect. On December 28, 1922, the cornerstone was laid and, on November 8, 1923, the Albertson Public Library opened with 20,000 books, which included the Sorosis Club's collection, as well as 12,000 books from Captain Charles L. Albertson, a retired police inspector from New York for whom the library was named.

Near the end of 1963, plans for a new library were being made. The Albertson Public Library, along with two branches, were to be demolished in order to make room for the new building. In the meantime, a temporary location at 905 North Orange Avenue was used as the library headquarters. On August 7, 1966, the Orlando Public Library opened. Although the name of the library changed, Albertson is still commemorated in the new library for his generous donation with a plaque at the entrance of the building, and the genealogy and local history section of the library is named after him. Less than 10 years later, in 1974, officials began to consider expansion of the library. In 1978, the Orlando City Counsel allocated the block of land to the west of the building for expansion. Architect Duane Stark was given the expansion task, as well as renovating the existing building. The current 290,000 square foot building opened on April 6, 1986.

Source

Original book: United States. Public Libraries in the United States of America: Their History, Condition, and Management. Washington: Govt. Print. Off, 1876.

Date Created

ca. 1986

Date Copyrighted

1986

Is Format Of

Original color digital image by Rachel Williams, July 11, 2014.

Is Part Of

Orlando Remembered Exhibit, Orlando Public Library, Orlando, Florida.
Orlando Public Library Collection, Orlando Remembered Collection, Orlando Collection, Orange County Collection. RICHES of Central Florida.

Format

image/jpg

Extent

105 KB

Medium

1 book

Language

eng

Type

Physical Object

Coverage

Albertson Public Library, Downtown Orlando, Florida

Accrual Method

Donation

Mediator

History Teacher

Provenance

Originally published by the United States Government Printing Office.

Rights Holder

This resource is not subject to copyright in the United States and there are no copyright restrictions on reproduction, derivative works, distribution, performance, or display of the work. Anyone may, without restriction under U.S. copyright laws:
  • reproduce the work in print or digital form
  • create derivative works
  • perform the work publicly
  • display the work
  • distribute copies or digitally transfer the work to the public by sale or other transfer of ownership, or by rental, lease, or lending.
This resources is provided here by RICHES of Central Florida for educational purposes only. For more information on copyright, please refer to Section 5 of Copyright Law of the United States of America and Related Laws Contained in Title 17 of the United States Code.

Contributing Project

Curator

Williams, Rachel
Cepero, Laura

Digital Collection

Source Repository

Orlando Remembered

External Reference

Bacon, Eve. Orlando: A Centennial History. Chuluota, Fla: Mickler House, 1975.
"Orlando's First Library." Orange County Library System. http://www.ocls.info/About/History/default.asp.
Rajtar, Steve. A Guide to Historic Orlando. Charleston, SC: History Press, 2006.

Transcript

PUBLIC LIBRARIES
IN THE
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
THEIR
HISTORY, CONDITION, AND MANAGEMENT

SPECIAL REPORT

DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR, BUREAU OF EDUCATION

PART I

WASHINGTON
GOVERNMENT PRINTING OFFICE
1876

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

1 book

Locations

Categories