Browse Items (298 total)

  • Tags: Downtown Orlando

OR00400.JPG
The fire alarm for the fire safety system in the 1958 Orlando City Hall in Downtown Orlando, Florida. The building was located on the corner of South Street and Orange Avenue and acted as the place of governance for the growing Orlando area. The fire…

OR00359.JPG
The sign depicts the maximum occupancy for the Orlando City Council Chambers within the Orlando City Hall in Downtown Orlando, Florida. The building was located on the corner of South Street and Orange Avenue and acted as the place of governance for…

eb4e8fa8bf8a514f0c0fa25e47bc22ac.png
An advertisement produced to showcase the advent of mid-century modernism in Orlando, Florida. The film depicts marketing strategies aimed at attracting white middle-to-upper class men in either military or defense technology engineering professions.…

Tags: ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;

OR00342.jpg
A newspaper article about Spencer Locke (b. 1904), a long-time employee of the Downtown Orlando Post Office in Downtown Orlando, Florida. Locke was born in Florida in 1904 and, at the time of this biography, had worked for the post office for 14…

OR00333.pdf
An incoming mail logbook, presumably from the Downtown Orlando Post Office for the month of December, spanning the years of 1946 to 1954. The book logs first-, second-, and third-class mail, and also contains a mail receipt from January 2, 1953.The…

OR00332.jpg
An elevated view of Orlando, Florida, in 1884. The lithograph focused on Sinclair's Real Estate Agency, located on the corner of Pine Street and South Orange Avenue. Other sites highlighted in the lithograph include the home of J. G. Sinclair, the…

OR00321.pdf
Construction of the Federal Building, located at 44 East Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 1917. From 1917 to 1941, the Federal Building was used for multiple purposes, which included housing the Downtown Orlando Post Office. In…

OR00320.pdf
A telegram is from Senator Charles O. Andrews (1877-1946) to James Milligan. It is regarding the dedication ceremony of the new building for the Downtown Orlando Post Office in Downtown Orlando, Florida. In the letter, Sen. Andrews informs Milligan…

OR00297.jpg
A routing slip addressed to Orlando Postmaster Lucius A. Bryant, Jr. (ca. 1919-2012) regarding a visit by Germain Gerin to the Downtown Orlando Post Office in Downtown Orlando, Florida. Gerin, an employee of a post office in Paris, was visiting her…

OR00292.jpg
A newspaper featuring an announcement made by Orlando Postmaster Lucius A. Bryant. According to the article, post office trucks would be available at 12 shopping centers in Orlando the following day. The mobile post officers sold Christmas stamps and…

OR00291.jpg
A letter from George A. Chatelain of Mansura, Louisiana, to Orlando Postmaster Lucius A. Bryant, Jr.. This letter was written in response to Chatelain’s inquiry regarding the purchase of sweet potatoes. Bryant suggests Otto Cooper, presumably a…

OR00290.jpg
A letter from Orlando Postmaster Lucius A. Bryant, Jr. (ca. 1919-2012) to George A. Chatelain of Mansura, Louisiana. This letter was written in response to Chatelain’s inquiry regarding the purchase of sweet potatoes. Bryant suggests Otto Cooper,…

OR00289.jpg
A routing slip from R. Van Camp, manager of the Downtown Orlando Post Office. In the rout slip, Van Camp discusses office assistance of city routes. The content of the routing slip provides the guidelines for office assistance to the city routes.The…

OR00282.jpg
A letter from Orlando Postmaster James D. Beggs, Jr. to Senator Charles O. Andrews (1877-1946). In reference to two prior letters, Beggs had prepared statistics for Sen. Andrews’ speech to be delivered at the dedication ceremony for the new…

OR00281.jpg
A letter from Orlando Postmaster James D. Beggs, Jr. to Senator Charles O. Andrews (1877-1946). In the letter, Beggs informs Sen. Andrews that he has received a telegram from Smith W. Purdum, the Second Assistant Postmaster General. Beggs also…

OR00280.jpg
A letter from Orlando Postmaster James D. Beggs, Jr. to Walter Meyer, the Fourth Assistant Postmaster General. In the letter, Beggs acknowledges the receipt of a telegram from Senator Charles O. Andrews (1877-1946) regarding Meyer’s participation…

OR00279.jpg
A telegram from Senator Charles O. Andrews (1877-1946) to the Orlando Postmaster, James D. Beggs, Jr. Sen. Andrews informed Beggs that Walter D. Myers, the Fourth Assistant Postmaster General, will be participating in the dedication ceremony of the…

OR00278.jpg
A telegram from Senator Charles O. Andrews (1877-1946) to the Orlando Postmaster, James D. Beggs, Jr. Sen. Andrews informed Beggs that Walter D. Myers, the Fourth Assistant Postmaster General, will be participating in the dedication ceremony of the…

OR00277.jpg
A letter from Orlando Postmaster James D. Beggs, Jr. to Senator Charles O. Andrews (1877-1946), regarding the Senator’s request to be informed about the history of the Downtown Orlando Post Office. Beggs states he has enclosed the requested…

OR00276.jpg
A letter from Charles O. Andrews (1877-1946) to the Orlando Postmaster, James D. Beggs, Jr. Sen. In the letter, Sen. Andrews requests a brief history of the Downtown Orlando Post Office. He planned to use said information to present that the…

OR00275.jpg
A letter from Orlando Postmaster James D. Beggs, Jr. to Senator Charles O. Andrews (1877-1946). The letter was written in response to Sen. Andrews' request to be informed about the history of the Downtown Orlando Post Office. Beggs states he will…

OR00273.jpg
A history of how the Greater Orlando Chamber of Commerce petitioned the federal government to construct the new Downtown Orlando Post Office and federal court building in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 1935. After a request was filed by U.S.…

OR00271.jpg
A letter from Construction Engineer Paul H. Heimer to J. P. Cullen & Son acknowledging receipt of their letter from April 30, 1941. J. P. Cullen & Son was the general contractor for the construction of the new Downtown Orlando Post Office…

OR00270.jpg
A letter from Senior Materials Engineer of J. P. Cullen & Son to coworkers regarding the use of Magnolia non-staining cement for the new Downtown Orlando Post Office building, located at 51 East Jefferson Street, in Downtown Orlando, Florida. J.…

OR00269.jpg
A letter from Construction Engineer Paul H. Heimer to J. P. Cullen & Son regarding final photographs of the new Downtown Orlando Post Office. J. P. Cullen & Son was the general contractor for the construction of the new Downtown Orlando Post…

OR00268.jpg
A letter from J. P. Cullen to District 4 Engineer Charles C. Converse regarding photos of the construction of the Downtown Post Office. Cullen was the head of J. P. Cullen & Son, the general contractor for the construction of the new Downtown…

OR00267.jpg
A letter from J. P. Cullen to the Federal Works Agency's (FWA) Public Buildings Administration regarding photos of the construction of the Downtown Post Office. Cullen was the head of J. P. Cullen & Son, the general contractor for the…

OR00266.jpg
A letter from J. P. Cullen to construction engineer Paul H. Heimer inquiring about the name and address of the District Engineer. Cullen was the head of J. P. Cullen & Son, the general contractor for the construction of the new Downtown Orlando…

OR00263.jpg
An Action Plan for the Downtown Orlando Post Office, dated November 17, 1983. The plan sets forth the goals of the post office and the plan to accomplish the goals. Some of the goals include adjusting carrier routes to eight hours, reducing overtime…

OR00262.jpg
A letter from John Masek of the Orlando Philatelic Society to H. Leeds Anwyll, citrus executive and newspaper reporter/editor Red McGee, A. Wright, and Orlando Postmaster James D. Beggs, Jr. It is regarding the dedication ceremony of the new Downtown…

OR00261.pdf
In this letter, Mahim A. Leitzel informs James D. Beggs, Jr. that he plans to attend the dedication ceremony of the Downtown Orlando Post Office in Downtown Orlando, Florida, on April 15, 1941. The original post office was housed in the Federal…

OR00257.jpg
A letter from M. C. Muddleson to Orlando Postmaster James D. Beggs, Jr., dated January 16, 1941. In the letter, Muddleson discusses plans for the dedication ceremony of the new Downtown Orlando Post Office building, located at 51 East Jefferson…

OR00232.pdf
The San Juan de Ulloa Hotel, located at 32 North Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 1940. The building was constructed from 1885 to 1886 by Captain C. E. Pierce at an initial cost of $150,000. The original owner was Henry S. Kedney, who…

OR00241.pdf
Construction of the new Downtown Orlando Post Office building, located at 51 East Jefferson Street, in 1940. The original post office was housed in the Federal Building, located 44 East Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando, Florida, from 1917 to…

OR00202.pdf
Construction of the new Downtown Orlando Post Office building, located at 51 East Jefferson Street, in 1941. The original post office was housed in the Federal Building, located 44 East Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando, Florida, from 1917 to…

OR00200.pdf
Construction of the new Downtown Orlando Post Office building, located at 51 East Jefferson Street, in 1941. The original post office was housed in the Federal Building, located 44 East Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando, Florida, from 1917 to…

OR00204.pdf
Construction of the new Downtown Orlando Post Office building, located at 51 East Jefferson Street, in 1940. The original post office was housed in the Federal Building, located 44 East Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando, Florida, from 1917 to…

OR00198.pdf
Construction of the new Downtown Orlando Post Office building, located at 51 East Jefferson Street, in 1940. The original post office was housed in the Federal Building, located 44 East Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando, Florida, from 1917 to…

OR00211.pdf
Construction of the new Downtown Orlando Post Office building, located at 51 East Jefferson Street, in 1940. The original post office was housed in the Federal Building, located 44 East Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando, Florida, from 1917 to…

OR00213.pdf
Construction of the new Downtown Orlando Post Office building, located at 51 East Jefferson Street, in 1940. The original post office was housed in the Federal Building, located 44 East Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando, Florida, from 1917 to…

OR00192.pdf
Construction of the new Downtown Orlando Post Office building, located at 51 East Jefferson Street, in 1940. The original post office was housed in the Federal Building, located 44 East Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando, Florida, from 1917 to…

OR00215.pdf
Construction of the new Downtown Orlando Post Office building, located at 51 East Jefferson Street, in 1940. The original post office was housed in the Federal Building, located 44 East Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando, Florida, from 1917 to…

OR00209.pdf
Construction of the new Downtown Orlando Post Office building, located at 51 East Jefferson Street, in 1940. The original post office was housed in the Federal Building, located 44 East Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando, Florida, from 1917 to…

OR00196.pdf
Construction of the new Downtown Orlando Post Office building, located at 51 East Jefferson Street, in 1940. The original post office was housed in the Federal Building, located 44 East Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando, Florida, from 1917 to…

OR00194.pdf
Construction of the new Downtown Orlando Post Office building, located at 51 East Jefferson Street, in 1940. The original post office was housed in the Federal Building, located 44 East Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando, Florida, from 1917 to…

OR00205.pdf
Construction of the new Downtown Orlando Post Office building, located at 51 East Jefferson Street, in 1940. The original post office was housed in the Federal Building, located 44 East Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando, Florida, from 1917 to…

OR00235.pdf
Construction of the new Downtown Orlando Post Office building, located at 51 East Jefferson Street, in 1940. The original post office was housed in the Federal Building, located 44 East Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando, Florida, from 1917 to…

OR00206.pdf
Construction of the new Downtown Orlando Post Office building, located at 51 East Jefferson Street, in 1940. The original post office was housed in the Federal Building, located 44 East Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando, Florida, from 1917 to…

OR00233.pdf
Construction of the new Downtown Orlando Post Office building, located at 51 East Jefferson Street, in 1940. The original post office was housed in the Federal Building, located 44 East Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando, Florida, from 1917 to…

OR00230.pdf
Construction of the Federal Building, located at 44 East Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 1917. From 1917 to 1941, the Federal Building was used for multiple purposes, which included housing the Downtown Orlando Post Office. In…

OR00228.pdf
Construction of the Federal Building, located at 44 East Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 1917. From 1917 to 1941, the Federal Building was used for multiple purposes, which included housing the Downtown Orlando Post Office. In…

OR00226.pdf
Construction of the Federal Building, located at 44 East Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 1917. From 1917 to 1941, the Federal Building was used for multiple purposes, which included housing the Downtown Orlando Post Office. In…

OR00224.pdf
Construction of the Federal Building, located at 44 East Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 1917. From 1917 to 1941, the Federal Building was used for multiple purposes, which included housing the Downtown Orlando Post Office. In…

OR00222.pdf
Construction of the Federal Building, located at 44 East Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 1917. From 1917 to 1941, the Federal Building was used for multiple purposes, which included housing the Downtown Orlando Post Office. In…

OR00220.pdf
Construction of the Federal Building, located at 44 East Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 1917. From 1917 to 1941, the Federal Building was used for multiple purposes, which included housing the Downtown Orlando Post Office. In…

OR00189.pdf
Construction of the Federal Building, located at 44 East Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 1917. From 1917 to 1941, the Federal Building was used for multiple purposes, which included housing the Downtown Orlando Post Office. In…

OR00219.pdf
Construction of the Federal Building, located at 44 East Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 1917. From 1917 to 1941, the Federal Building was used for multiple purposes, which included housing the Downtown Orlando Post Office. In…

OR00217.pdf
Construction of the Federal Building, located at 44 East Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 1917. From 1917 to 1941, the Federal Building was used for multiple purposes, which included housing the Downtown Orlando Post Office. In…

OR00188.pdf
A letter of correspondence from A. C. Hahn to L. A. Bryant dated December 17, 1968. At the time that the letter was written, Hahn was the Acting Regional Director of the U.S. Post Office Department and Bryant was the Postmaster for the Downtown…

SL00036.jpg
An aerial photograph showing the Bee Line Mall and its surrounding areas in 1966. The photograph is annotated to show the surrounding roadways, Sky Lake, Oak Ridge, Candlelight Park, the Gold Key Inn, Piccadilly Restaurant, and Travelodge. Sky Lake…

OR00145.jpg
This exhibit, produced by Orlando Remembered, shows objects from the SunTrust Center, located at 200 South Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida. This exhibit features items from previous occupants of the block, including Albert's Drug Store and…

OR00143.jpg
This exhibit, produced by Orlando Remembered, shows objects from Howard Middle School, located at 800 East Robinson Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida. This exhibit shows objects from what was Orlando High School from 1927 to 1952, and then Howard…

OR00142.jpg
This exhibit, produced by Orlando Remembered, shows objects from the Orange County Courthouse, located at 425 North Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida. Included in the exhibit are objects from the Wyoming Hotel, which once stood at the…

OR00137.mp3
An oral history interview of Dann Pottinger, conducted by Caitlin Baldwin on November 9, 2015. Pottinger was born August 14, 1947, on the British Bay Island in Honduras. He moved to Orlando, Florida as a small child and attended primary school in the…

OR00138.jpg
This exhibit, produced by Orlando Remembered shows objects from the Downtown Orlando Post Office, located at 51 E Jefferson Street. The post office was constructed in 1941 on land purchased from the adjacent St James Catholic Church. It still…

HH00250.pdf
A scrapbook for the 75th anniversary celebration of the Oviedo Woman's Club (OWC) on February 22, 1981. The scrapbook includes a sign-in sheet, notes, letters, envelopes

Tags: ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;

OR00136.jpg
Created in 1889, the St. James School was originally a foundation for the former St. Joseph's Academy. However, after the Academy closed in 1929, the introduction of the Cathedral school began and it has continued the traditions of St. Joseph's by…

OR00135.JPG
From this view of the Historic Post Office building, a giant crucifix is visible. This represents the area occupied by the Chancery center for the Diocese of Orlando. In 2001, Bishop Norbert Dorsey bought most of the building, which is on land the…

OR00134.jpg
A replica of a 1931 Ford Model A mail truck. During the 20th century, the U.S. Post Office Department began to increasingly rely on automobiles for the rapid and effective delivery of mail. First used in rural areas, mail trucks began to see…

OR00131.jpg
Taken in 1941, this group photograph shows all the operational staff at the newly constructed Downtown Orlando Post Office, located at 51 East Jefferson Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida. All employees of the Post Office, including the custodians,…

OR00125.JPG
A newspaper article about the planning and construction of the new Downtown Orlando Post Office building, located at 51 East Jefferson Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida. The lot was formerly the site of a Catholic school in coordination with the…

OR00124.jpg
A postcard displaying a drawing of the new Downtown Orlando Post Office building, located at 51 East Jefferson Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida. The post office was built and finished in 1941 as a result of funding provided by the federal…

OR00123.JPG
A letter of correspondence concerning the formal dedication of the new Downtown Orlando Post Office building, located at 51 East Jefferson Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida. The ceremony was sponsored by the Greater Orlando Chamber of Commerce. The…

OR00122.jpg
In 1922, the letter carrier’s badge was redesigned. The new badge was solid, of nickel-plated metal, elliptical in shape, and topped with a 1/2 inch tall eagle with wings spread two inches wide. The numbers, raised in the center of the badge, were…

OR00121.jpg
A mailman badge worn on hats and coats by post office staff. In 1922, the letter carrier’s badge was redesigned. The new badge was solid, of nickel-plated metal, elliptical in shape, and topped with a 1/2 inch tall eagle with wings spread two…

OR00120.JPG
Postal employees after the construction of the new Downtown Orlando Post Office building, located at 51 East Jefferson Street, circa 1941. The photograph includes 109 employees ranging from superintendent to clerk. The Postmaster and Assistant…

Tags: ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;

OR00118.JPG
St. James Cathedral was originally finished in June of 1891 under Bishop John Moore of the Diocese of St. Augustine, Father Swembergh, and later Father Creed, who succeeded Father Swembergh following his death. Since its original 40 by 70 feet wooden…

OR00117.JPG
A Catholic procession in Downtown Orlando, Florida, sometime between 1939 and 1941. Altar servers are followed by the bishop, priests, and congregants. In these processions, a cross bearer and candle holder, who are not pictured, led the procession…

OR00115.jpg
A money transfer sent by Ebenezer Nanabamyin Okai in Tema, Ghana, to Elaine Pancake, the customer relations coordinator for the Downtown Orlando Post Office, located at 51 East Jefferson Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida. This particular post…

OR00114.JPG
The new Downtown Orlando Post Office building, located at 51 East Jefferson Street, during construction circa 1941. In 1935, when James Beggs, Jr. became the postmaster, he began petitioning to move the post office from its Central Boulevard and…

OR00127.jpg
A postage stamp issued in 1947. Claude Pepper (1900-1989), then U.S. Senator from Florida, wrote Postmaster General Hannegan on July 9, 1947, to petition for a postage stamp to commemorate the dedication of the Everglades National Park. The…

OR00126.jpg
A notary/corporate postmark used to officially apply to a piece of mail as it passes through the mailstream. It includes town data and was part of a process where postal workers would stamp markings indicating routing, directory service, postage due,…

OR00113.jpg
This a notary/corporate postmark used to officially apply to a piece of mail as it passes through the mailstream. It includes town data (Orlando) and was part of a process where postal workers would stamp markings indicating routing, directory…

OR00112.jpg
This is a handstamp postmark that was used to mark postage stamp to prevent reuse. Prior to the advent of stamps to prepay postage, such markings only served to provide information to postal clerks as they handled the stampless envelope. After stamps…

OR00111.jpg
This is a neighborhood mailbox padlock from the post-World War II period. Its case and shackle are made of brass, opened by key, and uses a five-lever lock. It was a type of lock distributed by the U.S. Post Office Department to residents of Orlando…

OR00109.JPG
The former building for the Downtown Orlando Post Office, located at 44 East Central Boulevard in Downtown, Orlando, Florida. From 1917 to 1941, the Orlando post office was housed in a building on the corner of Central Boulevard and Court Avenue and…

OR00108.jpg
A traditional mail satchel worn by mail carriers to deliver their packages. The one shown in the picture was one of the series of leather satchels that were manufactured and used from 1868 until 1974, when they were phased out by the canvas satchels…

OR00107.JPG
A class picture taken outside of St. Joseph's Academy in Downtown Orlando, Florida. The academy was created in 1889, along with St. James Cathedral School, and they were both placed along the intersection of Robinson Avenue and Magnolia Avenue. In…