Construction of the Downtown Orlando Post Office, 1917

Dublin Core

Title

Construction of the Downtown Orlando Post Office, 1917

Alternative Title

Downtown Orlando Post Office Construction

Subject

Orlando (Fla.)
Post offices
Construction

Description

Construction of the Federal Building, located at 44 East Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 1917. From 1917 to 1941, the Federal Building was used for multiple purposes, which included housing the Downtown Orlando Post Office. In 1935, when James Beggs, Jr. became the postmaster, he began petitioning to move the post office from its Central Boulevard and Court Avenue location to a more spacious building. In 1939, St. James Catholic Church sold a plot of land on Jefferson Street for the new building. The building was designed by Louis A. Simon in the Northern Italian Palazzo Revival-style, and was constructed by J. P. Cullen and Sons. The new building opened in 1941 and housed the post office, the courthouse, and Internal Revenue Service (IRS) offices.

The Confederate Soldiers, Sailors, and Statesmen Memorial can also be seen in the first photograph. The memorial was erected in 1911 by the Annie Coleman Chapter of the United Daughters of the Confederacy (UDC). The construction of the monument was spearheaded by Mrs. Abernethy, the President of the Annie Coleman Chapter. The monument was erected at the intersection of East Central Avenue and Main Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida In 1917, the Confederate Memorial was deemed a traffic hazard and was moved to its permanent location on the east side of Lake Eola.

Source

Original black and white photographs, 1917: Private Collection of Texann Ivy Buck.

Date Created

1917

Contributor

Buck, Texann Ivy

Is Format Of

Digital reproduction of original black and white photographs, 1917.

Format

image/jpg

Extent

277 KB
332 KB
400 KB
376 KB

Medium

6 black and white photographs

Language

eng

Type

Still Image

Coverage

Downtown Orlando Post Office, Downtown Orlando, Florida

Accrual Method

Donation

Mediator

History Teacher
Geography Teacher

Rights Holder

Copyright to this resource is held by Texann Ivy Buck and is provided here by RICHES of Central Florida for educational purposes only.

Contributing Project

Curator

Stoddard, James

Digital Collection

Source Repository

Private Collection of Texann Ivy Buck

External Reference

Branham, A.G. "History of the Confederate Monument" (paper presented at the Annie Coleman Chapter U.D.C., Orlando, Florida, April 12, 1917). Orange County Regional History Center.
Bacon, Eve. Orlando: A Centennial History. Chuluota, Fla: Mickler House, 1975.
Florida, and Florida Association of Museums. Florida Civil War Heritage Trail. [Tallahassee, Fla.]: Dept. of State, Division of Historical Resources, 2011.
Poppenheim, Mary B. The History of the United Daughters of the Confederacy. Richmond, Va: United Daughters of the Confederacy, 1994.

Locations

Categories