Downtown Orlando Post Office Collection

Selected Items in the Downtown Orlando Post Office Collection (more...)

Map this Collection in RICHES

PO Box Receipt for R. C. M. Zachary (September 30, 1954)
A receipt for a PO box for R. C. M. Zachary with the box number that he paid for, listed along with the dates of purchase and when the rent for the PO box expires. In addition, the receipt shows the exact amount of $4.52 that Zachary paid along with…

New Downtown Orlando Post Office Building
The new Downtown Orlando Post Office building, located at 51 East Jefferson Street, circa 1941. In 1935, when James Beggs, Jr. became the postmaster, he began petitioning to move the post office from its Central Boulevard and Court Avenue location to…

Postal Mail Strap
A leather postal mail strap from the Downtown Orlando Post Office, located at 51 East Jefferson Street. Mail straps were used by Orlando postal workers to tie mail together. Leather satchels were used by U.S. postal workers to carry mail from 1864 to…

St. Joseph's Academy Boys Basketball Team, 1929
St. Joseph's Academy's seven-member boys basketball team standing in a wooded area in 1929. St. Joseph's Academy, located at 53 East Jefferson Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, opened on October 17, 1889, with just 40 students. The school, built…

Seventh and Eighth Graders at St. Joseph's Academy, 1928
Seventh and eighth graders at St. Joseph's Academy, located at 53 East Jefferson Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 1928. St. Joseph's Academy opened on October 17, 1889, with just 40 students. The school, built by Father J. J. Creed of St.…

Letter from R. R. Reid to Bishop John Moore (June 6, 1881)
A letter of correspondence between R. R. Reid, a property and store owner in Palatka, and Bishop John Moore over the purchase of a plot of land. At the time, Bishop Moore was in charge of the St. Augustine Catholic Diocese, which included Orlando,…

St. Joseph's Academy Students
Students outside of St. Joseph’s Academy in Downtown Orlando, Florida. In 1889, St. Joseph’s Academy was constructed on the church grounds of St. James Catholic Church. The Catholic school was administrated by the Sisters of St. Joseph. The…

Students at St. Joseph's Academy
Students outside of St. Joseph’s Academy in Downtown Orlando, Florida. In 1889, St. Joseph’s Academy was constructed on the church grounds of St. James Catholic Church. The Catholic school was administrated by the Sisters of St. Joseph. The…

Envelope to Roger Pounds, Ruth Pounds, and Peggy Jo Pounds
This envelope once contained a letter written to Roger Pounds and his wife and daughter, Ruth Pounds and Peggy Jo Pounds. Pounds was the president of Pounds Crate Company, providing containers for Orlando businesses. He and Ruth also ran a dance…

Postman's Hat
The classic and distinguished hat that was a part of the attire worn by both postmen and mail truck drivers. The iconic badge of the U.S. Post Office adorns the face of the hat to identify postmen as federal employees and also to signify the role…

Envelope to Mayor Carl T. Langford (April 23, 1979)
This envelope originally contained a letter written to Mayor Carl T. Langford a year before he stepped down as Mayor of Orlando. Mayor Langford was a popular mayor, known for his political irreverence and sense of humor. He presided as mayor from…

Mail Satchel Cart
This is a replica of a mail satchel cart used to transport multiple satchels of mail to ease the burden upon the mail carrier. The use of satchel carts is very situational and used in instances where the postal vehicle would be unable to reach a…

Envelope to Texann Ivy (1968)
This envelope originally contained a letter written to prominent Orlando citizen Texann Ivy (now Buck). Texann graduated from high school in Orlando and went to college at Waco's Baylor University. There, she studied art, specializing in sculpture…

Birthday Plate from Father Fox to Lucille Fair
This plate was given to Lucille Fair as a birthday present from Father Michael J. Fox at St. Joseph's Catholic Church. For her birthday, Father Fox presented her with this plate along with a piece of cake as a birthday present. She continued to use…

Envelopes to Betty Riddle
"Two envelopes, which were processed by the Downtown Orlando Post Office and addressed to Betty Riddle. The first envelope was stamped September 15, 1941, while the other envelope, sent nine months later, was stamped June 13, 1942. Riddle was a born…

Envelope from Steve Williams to Mary Ivy (March 15, 1968)
This envelope originally contained a letter written by Steve Williams to Mary Ivy. Ivy shared an address with prominent Orlando citizen and Orlando Remembered board member Texann Ivy (now Buck), indicating that they were siblings or more distant…

Students at St. Joseph's Academy, 1913
A class picture taken outside of St. Joseph's Academy in Downtown Orlando, Florida. The academy was created in 1889, along with St. James Cathedral School, and they were both placed along the intersection of Robinson Avenue and Magnolia Avenue. In…

Mail Satchel
A traditional mail satchel worn by mail carriers to deliver their packages. The one shown in the picture was one of the series of leather satchels that were manufactured and used from 1868 until 1974, when they were phased out by the canvas satchels…

Federal Building, 1933
The former building for the Downtown Orlando Post Office, located at 44 East Central Boulevard in Downtown, Orlando, Florida. From 1917 to 1941, the Orlando post office was housed in a building on the corner of Central Boulevard and Court Avenue and…

Envelope from Perrios Haedji to John Kamitsos
A letter sent from Perrios Haedji to John Kamitsos. On the front are three unique stamps with Greek words along with three seals from the Downtown Orlando Post Office approving the letter. Kamitsos' ethnic background was Greek, as his father…

Mailbox Lock
This is a neighborhood mailbox padlock from the post-World War II period. Its case and shackle are made of brass, opened by key, and uses a five-lever lock. It was a type of lock distributed by the U.S. Post Office Department to residents of Orlando…

Handstamp Postmark
This is a handstamp postmark that was used to mark postage stamp to prevent reuse. Prior to the advent of stamps to prepay postage, such markings only served to provide information to postal clerks as they handled the stampless envelope. After stamps…

Postmark Handstamp
This a notary/corporate postmark used to officially apply to a piece of mail as it passes through the mailstream. It includes town data (Orlando) and was part of a process where postal workers would stamp markings indicating routing, directory…

Postmark
A notary/corporate postmark used to officially apply to a piece of mail as it passes through the mailstream. It includes town data and was part of a process where postal workers would stamp markings indicating routing, directory service, postage due,…

Everglades National Park Postage Stamp
A postage stamp issued in 1947. Claude Pepper (1900-1989), then U.S. Senator from Florida, wrote Postmaster General Hannegan on July 9, 1947, to petition for a postage stamp to commemorate the dedication of the Everglades National Park. The…

Construction of the New Downtown Orlando Post Office Building
The new Downtown Orlando Post Office building, located at 51 East Jefferson Street, during construction circa 1941. In 1935, when James Beggs, Jr. became the postmaster, he began petitioning to move the post office from its Central Boulevard and…

Money Transfer from Ebenezer Nanabamyin Okai
A money transfer sent by Ebenezer Nanabamyin Okai in Tema, Ghana, to Elaine Pancake, the customer relations coordinator for the Downtown Orlando Post Office, located at 51 East Jefferson Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida. This particular post…

Envelope from J. Huang to Elaine Pancake
An envelope from J. Huang to Elaine Pancake, the customer relations coordinator for the Downtown Orlando Post Office, located at 51 East Jefferson Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida. This particular post office was constructed in a Spanish Colonial…

Envelope from A. Dellinger  to Elaine Pancake
An envelope sent from A. Dellinger to Elaine Pancake, the customer relations coordinator for the Downtown Orlando Post Office, located at 51 East Jefferson Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida. This particular post office was constructed in a Spanish…

Catholic Mass Procession
A Catholic procession in Downtown Orlando, Florida, sometime between 1939 and 1941. Altar servers are followed by the bishop, priests, and congregants. In these processions, a cross bearer and candle holder, who are not pictured, led the procession…

St. James Cathedral's Original Wooden Church Building
St. James Cathedral was originally finished in June of 1891 under Bishop John Moore of the Diocese of St. Augustine, Father Swembergh, and later Father Creed, who succeeded Father Swembergh following his death. Since its original 40 by 70 feet wooden…

Envelope to Texann Ivy (October 1967)
An envelope sent from Group 21 MEBA to Texann Ivy in October of 1967. Texann Ivy Buck is a graduate of Edgewater High School in Orlando, Florida, and Baylor University in Waco, Texas. Specializing in 20th Century American prints, sculpture, and in…

Employees at New Downtown Orlando Post Office Building
Postal employees after the construction of the new Downtown Orlando Post Office building, located at 51 East Jefferson Street, circa 1941. The photograph includes 109 employees ranging from superintendent to clerk. The Postmaster and Assistant…

Envelope from Ferguson/CFSC to Texann Ivy Buck
An envelope sent from Ferguson/CFSC to Texann Ivy Buck. The envelope was sent multiple times, as there are six stamps. Buck is a graduate of Edgewater High School in Orlando, Florida, and Baylor University in Waco, Texas. Specializing in 20th Century…

Florida Centennial Stamp
A Florida Centennial postage stamp, along with identifying labels. The image of the Great Seal of the State of Florida is surrounded by the Old City Gates in St. Augustine on the left and the State Capitol Building on the right. The two images have…

U.S. Post Office Mailman Badge
A mailman badge worn on hats and coats by post office staff. In 1922, the letter carrier’s badge was redesigned. The new badge was solid, of nickel-plated metal, elliptical in shape, and topped with a 1/2 inch tall eagle with wings spread two…

U.S. Post Office Mailman Badge, 1922
In 1922, the letter carrier’s badge was redesigned. The new badge was solid, of nickel-plated metal, elliptical in shape, and topped with a 1/2 inch tall eagle with wings spread two inches wide. The numbers, raised in the center of the badge, were…

Letter from J. D. Beggs (March 13, 1941)
A letter of correspondence concerning the formal dedication of the new Downtown Orlando Post Office building, located at 51 East Jefferson Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida. The ceremony was sponsored by the Greater Orlando Chamber of Commerce. The…

U.S. Post Office Building Postcard
A postcard displaying a drawing of the new Downtown Orlando Post Office building, located at 51 East Jefferson Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida. The post office was built and finished in 1941 as a result of funding provided by the federal…

Here's What Orlando's $600,000 New Federal Building Will Look Like
A newspaper article about the planning and construction of the new Downtown Orlando Post Office building, located at 51 East Jefferson Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida. The lot was formerly the site of a Catholic school in coordination with the…

Personnel at the Downtown Orlando Post Office, 1941
Taken in 1941, this group photograph shows all the operational staff at the newly constructed Downtown Orlando Post Office, located at 51 East Jefferson Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida. All employees of the Post Office, including the custodians,…

Personnel at the Downtown Orlando Post Office, 1930
The staff of the Downtown Orlando Post Office, located at 44 East Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 1930, including Postmaster Dr. Laycock and assistant Postmaster Dedaney. All employees of the Post Office, including the custodians,…

Personnel at the Downtown Orlando Post Office, 1938
The staff of the Downtown Orlando Post Office, located at 44 East Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 1938, including Postmaster Beggs. All employees of the Post Office, including the custodians, were considered full employees of the…

Replica Mail Truck
A replica of a 1931 Ford Model A mail truck. During the 20th century, the U.S. Post Office Department began to increasingly rely on automobiles for the rapid and effective delivery of mail. First used in rural areas, mail trucks began to see…

Downtown Orlando Post Office Building from East Robinson Street
From this view of the Historic Post Office building, a giant crucifix is visible. This represents the area occupied by the Chancery center for the Diocese of Orlando. In 2001, Bishop Norbert Dorsey bought most of the building, which is on land the…

St. James Cathedral School, 2011
Created in 1889, the St. James School was originally a foundation for the former St. Joseph's Academy. However, after the Academy closed in 1929, the introduction of the Cathedral school began and it has continued the traditions of St. Joseph's by…

Downtown Orlando Post Office Exhibit
This exhibit, produced by Orlando Remembered shows objects from the Downtown Orlando Post Office, located at 51 E Jefferson Street. The post office was constructed in 1941 on land purchased from the adjacent St James Catholic Church. It still…

St. James Catholic Cathedral Exhibit
This exhibit shows objects from St. James Catholic Cathedral, located at 215 North Orange Ave. In 1881, the church developed the property as a parochial school. The school, known as St. James Academy, was home to 200 students until 1929. In the 1930s…

Letter from A. C. Hahn to L. A. Bryant (December 17, 1968)
A letter of correspondence from A. C. Hahn to L. A. Bryant dated December 17, 1968. At the time that the letter was written, Hahn was the Acting Regional Director of the U.S. Post Office Department and Bryant was the Postmaster for the Downtown…

Construction of the Downtown Orlando Post Office, January 1917
Construction of the Federal Building, located at 44 East Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 1917. From 1917 to 1941, the Federal Building was used for multiple purposes, which included housing the Downtown Orlando Post Office. In…

Construction of the Downtown Orlando Post Office, February 1917
Construction of the Federal Building, located at 44 East Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 1917. From 1917 to 1941, the Federal Building was used for multiple purposes, which included housing the Downtown Orlando Post Office. In…

Construction of the Downtown Orlando Post Office, March 1917
Construction of the Federal Building, located at 44 East Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 1917. From 1917 to 1941, the Federal Building was used for multiple purposes, which included housing the Downtown Orlando Post Office. In…

Construction of the Downtown Orlando Post Office, April 1917
Construction of the Federal Building, located at 44 East Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 1917. From 1917 to 1941, the Federal Building was used for multiple purposes, which included housing the Downtown Orlando Post Office. In…

Construction of the Downtown Orlando Post Office, May 1917
Construction of the Federal Building, located at 44 East Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 1917. From 1917 to 1941, the Federal Building was used for multiple purposes, which included housing the Downtown Orlando Post Office. In…

Construction of the Downtown Orlando Post Office, June 1917
Construction of the Federal Building, located at 44 East Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 1917. From 1917 to 1941, the Federal Building was used for multiple purposes, which included housing the Downtown Orlando Post Office. In…

Construction of the Downtown Orlando Post Office, July 1917
Construction of the Federal Building, located at 44 East Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 1917. From 1917 to 1941, the Federal Building was used for multiple purposes, which included housing the Downtown Orlando Post Office. In…

Construction of the Downtown Orlando Post Office, September 1917
Construction of the Federal Building, located at 44 East Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 1917. From 1917 to 1941, the Federal Building was used for multiple purposes, which included housing the Downtown Orlando Post Office. In…

Construction of the Downtown Orlando Post Office, October 1917
Construction of the Federal Building, located at 44 East Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 1917. From 1917 to 1941, the Federal Building was used for multiple purposes, which included housing the Downtown Orlando Post Office. In…

Construction of the Downtown Orlando Post Office, February 1940
Construction of the new Downtown Orlando Post Office building, located at 51 East Jefferson Street, in 1940. The original post office was housed in the Federal Building, located 44 East Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando, Florida, from 1917 to…

Construction of the Downtown Orlando Post Office, March 1940
Construction of the new Downtown Orlando Post Office building, located at 51 East Jefferson Street, in 1940. The original post office was housed in the Federal Building, located 44 East Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando, Florida, from 1917 to…

Construction of the Downtown Orlando Post Office, April 1, 1940
Construction of the new Downtown Orlando Post Office building, located at 51 East Jefferson Street, in 1940. The original post office was housed in the Federal Building, located 44 East Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando, Florida, from 1917 to…

Construction of the Downtown Orlando Post Office, April 15, 1940
Construction of the new Downtown Orlando Post Office building, located at 51 East Jefferson Street, in 1940. The original post office was housed in the Federal Building, located 44 East Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando, Florida, from 1917 to…

Construction of the Downtown Orlando Post Office, May 1, 1940
Construction of the new Downtown Orlando Post Office building, located at 51 East Jefferson Street, in 1940. The original post office was housed in the Federal Building, located 44 East Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando, Florida, from 1917 to…

Construction of the Downtown Orlando Post Office, May 18, 1940
Construction of the new Downtown Orlando Post Office building, located at 51 East Jefferson Street, in 1940. The original post office was housed in the Federal Building, located 44 East Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando, Florida, from 1917 to…

Construction of the Downtown Orlando Post Office, June 1940
Construction of the new Downtown Orlando Post Office building, located at 51 East Jefferson Street, in 1940. The original post office was housed in the Federal Building, located 44 East Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando, Florida, from 1917 to…

Construction of the Downtown Orlando Post Office, July 1940
Construction of the new Downtown Orlando Post Office building, located at 51 East Jefferson Street, in 1940. The original post office was housed in the Federal Building, located 44 East Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando, Florida, from 1917 to…

Construction of the Downtown Orlando Post Office, August 1, 1940
Construction of the new Downtown Orlando Post Office building, located at 51 East Jefferson Street, in 1940. The original post office was housed in the Federal Building, located 44 East Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando, Florida, from 1917 to…

Construction of the Downtown Orlando Post Office, August 31, 1940
Construction of the new Downtown Orlando Post Office building, located at 51 East Jefferson Street, in 1940. The original post office was housed in the Federal Building, located 44 East Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando, Florida, from 1917 to…

Construction of the Downtown Orlando Post Office, October 1940
Construction of the new Downtown Orlando Post Office building, located at 51 East Jefferson Street, in 1940. The original post office was housed in the Federal Building, located 44 East Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando, Florida, from 1917 to…

Construction of the Downtown Orlando Post Office, November 1940
Construction of the new Downtown Orlando Post Office building, located at 51 East Jefferson Street, in 1940. The original post office was housed in the Federal Building, located 44 East Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando, Florida, from 1917 to…

Construction of the Downtown Orlando Post Office, December 1940
Construction of the new Downtown Orlando Post Office building, located at 51 East Jefferson Street, in 1940. The original post office was housed in the Federal Building, located 44 East Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando, Florida, from 1917 to…

Construction of the Downtown Orlando Post Office, January 1941
Construction of the new Downtown Orlando Post Office building, located at 51 East Jefferson Street, in 1941. The original post office was housed in the Federal Building, located 44 East Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando, Florida, from 1917 to…

Construction of the Downtown Orlando Post Office, February 1, 1941
Construction of the new Downtown Orlando Post Office building, located at 51 East Jefferson Street, in 1941. The original post office was housed in the Federal Building, located 44 East Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando, Florida, from 1917 to…

Construction of the Downtown Orlando Post Office, March 1941
Construction of the new Downtown Orlando Post Office building, located at 51 East Jefferson Street, in 1940. The original post office was housed in the Federal Building, located 44 East Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando, Florida, from 1917 to…

San Juan de Ulloa Hotel, 1940
The San Juan de Ulloa Hotel, located at 32 North Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 1940. The building was constructed from 1885 to 1886 by Captain C. E. Pierce at an initial cost of $150,000. The original owner was Henry S. Kedney, who…

Methods Handbook: City Delivery Service Mechanization
This is a Methods Handbook published and prepared by the Bureau of Operations of the U.S. Post Office Department on August 1, 1958. The mechanization of post offices began in 1956 when the U.S. Post Office Department began researching the coding…

Letter from M. C. Muddleson to James D. Beggs, Jr. (January 16, 1941)
A letter from M. C. Muddleson to Orlando Postmaster James D. Beggs, Jr., dated January 16, 1941. In the letter, Muddleson discusses plans for the dedication ceremony of the new Downtown Orlando Post Office building, located at 51 East Jefferson…

Memorandum by Judge Akerman for James D. Beggs, Jr.
A memorandum by Judge Alexander Akerman (1869-1948) for Orlando Postmaster James D. Beggs, Jr. regarding the establishment of a federal court in Orlando for the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida. In the memo Judge Akerman…

Memorandum from Assistant Postmaster General to Postmasters with Gross Receipts of $1 million to $20 Million (December 7, 1954)
A memorandum is from the Assistant Postmaster General Joseph A. Clarke to postmasters who are in charge of offices that gross between $1 million to $20 million. In the memo, Clarke discusses the reorganization of the Division of Finance within the…

Letter from Mahim A. Leitzel to James D. Beggs, Jr. (April 10, 1941)
In this letter, Mahim A. Leitzel informs James D. Beggs, Jr. that he plans to attend the dedication ceremony of the Downtown Orlando Post Office in Downtown Orlando, Florida, on April 15, 1941. The original post office was housed in the Federal…

Letter from John Masek to H. Leeds Anwyll, Red McGee, A. Wright, and James D. Beggs, Jr. (October 23, 1940)
A letter from John Masek of the Orlando Philatelic Society to H. Leeds Anwyll, citrus executive and newspaper reporter/editor Red McGee, A. Wright, and Orlando Postmaster James D. Beggs, Jr. It is regarding the dedication ceremony of the new Downtown…

Downtown Orlando Post Office Action Plan (November 17, 1983)
An Action Plan for the Downtown Orlando Post Office, dated November 17, 1983. The plan sets forth the goals of the post office and the plan to accomplish the goals. Some of the goals include adjusting carrier routes to eight hours, reducing overtime…

Letter from Frederick C. Belen to Jimmy Bryant (November 15, 1966)
A letter from Deputy Postmaster General Frederick C. Belen (ca. 1904-1999) to Orlando Postmaster Lucius A. Bryant. In the letter, Belen thanks Bryant for a weekend fishing trip in Orlando. Originally an attorney, Belen also served as counsel, chief…

Orlando's Postmasters and Terms of Office, 1898 to 1951
A memorandum from the U.S. Post Office Department listing the names and terms of service of postmasters for Orlando, Florida, from 1898 1951. The postmasters included W. R. O'Neal, 1898 to 1914; W. C. McLean, 1914 to 1923; Claudia DeLaney, 1923 to…

Letter from J. P. Cullen & Son to Paul H. Heimer (April 30, 1941)
A letter from J. P. Cullen to construction engineer Paul H. Heimer inquiring about the name and address of the District Engineer. Cullen was the head of J. P. Cullen & Son, the general contractor for the construction of the new Downtown Orlando…

Letter from J. P. Cullen to Federal Works Agency Public Buildings Administration (April 30, 1941)
A letter from J. P. Cullen to the Federal Works Agency's (FWA) Public Buildings Administration regarding photos of the construction of the Downtown Post Office. Cullen was the head of J. P. Cullen & Son, the general contractor for the…

Letter from J. P. Cullen to Charles C. Converse (May 5, 1941)
A letter from J. P. Cullen to District 4 Engineer Charles C. Converse regarding photos of the construction of the Downtown Post Office. Cullen was the head of J. P. Cullen & Son, the general contractor for the construction of the new Downtown…

Letter from Paul H. Heimer to J. P. Cullen & Son (April 28, 1941)
A letter from Construction Engineer Paul H. Heimer to J. P. Cullen & Son regarding final photographs of the new Downtown Orlando Post Office. J. P. Cullen & Son was the general contractor for the construction of the new Downtown Orlando Post…

Letter from Senior Materials Engineer to J. P. Cullen & Son (April 23, 1941)
A letter from Senior Materials Engineer of J. P. Cullen & Son to coworkers regarding the use of Magnolia non-staining cement for the new Downtown Orlando Post Office building, located at 51 East Jefferson Street, in Downtown Orlando, Florida. J.…

Letter from Paul H. Heimer to J. P. Cullen & Son (May 3, 1941)
A letter from Construction Engineer Paul H. Heimer to J. P. Cullen & Son acknowledging receipt of their letter from April 30, 1941. J. P. Cullen & Son was the general contractor for the construction of the new Downtown Orlando Post Office…

History of Orlando Post Office Promotion
A history of how the Greater Orlando Chamber of Commerce petitioned the federal government to construct the new Downtown Orlando Post Office and federal court building in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 1935. After a request was filed by U.S.…

Suggested Program for Dedication of the New U. S. Post Office and Court House
The suggested program for the dedication ceremony for the new Downtown Orlando Post Office. This document includes a list of the members of the Greater Orlando Chamber of Commerce and a schedule of events. The original post office was housed in the…

Letter from James D. Beggs, Jr. to Charles O. Andrews (April 7, 1941)
A letter from Orlando Postmaster James D. Beggs, Jr. to Senator Charles O. Andrews (1877-1946). The letter was written in response to Sen. Andrews' request to be informed about the history of the Downtown Orlando Post Office. Beggs states he will…

Letter from Charles O. Andrews to James D. Beggs, Jr. (April 4, 1941)
A letter from Charles O. Andrews (1877-1946) to the Orlando Postmaster, James D. Beggs, Jr. Sen. In the letter, Sen. Andrews requests a brief history of the Downtown Orlando Post Office. He planned to use said information to present that the…

Letter from James D. Beggs, Jr. to Charles O. Andrews (April 9, 1941)
A letter from Orlando Postmaster James D. Beggs, Jr. to Senator Charles O. Andrews (1877-1946), regarding the Senator’s request to be informed about the history of the Downtown Orlando Post Office. Beggs states he has enclosed the requested…

Telegram from Charles O. Andrews to James. D. Beggs (April 9, 1941)
A telegram from Senator Charles O. Andrews (1877-1946) to the Orlando Postmaster, James D. Beggs, Jr. Sen. Andrews informed Beggs that Walter D. Myers, the Fourth Assistant Postmaster General, will be participating in the dedication ceremony of the…

Letter from James D. Beggs, Jr. to Walter D. Myers (April 9. 1941)
A telegram from Senator Charles O. Andrews (1877-1946) to the Orlando Postmaster, James D. Beggs, Jr. Sen. Andrews informed Beggs that Walter D. Myers, the Fourth Assistant Postmaster General, will be participating in the dedication ceremony of the…

Telegram from Smith W. Purdum to James D. Beggs, Jr. (April 8, 1941)
A letter from Orlando Postmaster James D. Beggs, Jr. to Walter Meyer, the Fourth Assistant Postmaster General. In the letter, Beggs acknowledges the receipt of a telegram from Senator Charles O. Andrews (1877-1946) regarding Meyer’s participation…

Letter from James D. Beggs to Charles O. Andrews (April 8, 1941)
A letter from Orlando Postmaster James D. Beggs, Jr. to Senator Charles O. Andrews (1877-1946). In the letter, Beggs informs Sen. Andrews that he has received a telegram from Smith W. Purdum, the Second Assistant Postmaster General. Beggs also…

Letter from James D. Beggs, Jr. to Charles O. Andrews (April 8, 1941)
A letter from Orlando Postmaster James D. Beggs, Jr. to Senator Charles O. Andrews (1877-1946). In reference to two prior letters, Beggs had prepared statistics for Sen. Andrews’ speech to be delivered at the dedication ceremony for the new…

Dublin Core

Title

Downtown Orlando Post Office Collection

Alternative Title

Orlando Post Office Collection

Subject

Orlando (Fla.)
Post offices
Churches--Florida
Catholic Church--Florida
Education--Florida

Description

The new Downtown Orlando Post Office building, located at 51 East Jefferson Street, in 1958. The original post office was housed in the Federal Building, located 44 East Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando, Florida, from 1917 to 1941. In 1935, when James Beggs, Jr. became the postmaster, he began petitioning to move the post office from its Central Boulevard and Court Avenue location to a more spacious building. In 1939, St. James Catholic Church sold a plot of land on Jefferson Street for the new building. The building was designed by Louis A. Simon in the Northern Italian Palazzo Revival-style, and was constructed by J. P. Cullen and Sons. The new building opened in 1941 and housed the post office, the courthouse, and Internal Revenue Service (IRS) offices. The building was named an Orlando Historic Landmark in 1989. However, it was eventually sold back to the St. James Church. In 2003, the building was renovated and came under joint ownership by both the church and the federal government. Today, the building retains its post office services but also includes offices for the Catholic Diocese.

Contributor

Allison, Megan
Baker, Keith
Bernard, Sam
Fallen, Riley
Frye, Stephen
Gold, Stephen
Irizarry, Michael
Joshi, Ashis
Reed, Michael
Shumate, Alayna
Stoddard, James
Tran, Tristan

Is Part Of

Orlando Remembered Exhibit, Downtown Orlando Post Office, Downtown Orlando, Florida.
Orlando Remembered Collection, Orlando Collection, Orange County Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.
Orlando Collection, Orange County Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.
Orange County Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.

Language

eng

Type

Collection

Coverage

Downtown Orlando Post Office, Downtown Orlando, Florida
Federal Building, Downtown Orlando, Florida
St. James Cathedral, Downtown Orlando, Florida
St. Joseph's Academy, Downtown Orlando, Florida

Contributing Project

Curator

Cepero, Laura

Digital Collection

External Reference

Rajtar, Steve. A Guide to Historic Orlando. Charleston, SC: History Press, 2006.
"Postal History." United States Postal Service. https://about.usps.com/who-we-are/postal-history/welcome.htm.
"About Us." St. James Cathedral. http://www.stjamesorlando.org/about-us/.

Collection Tree