Construction of the Downtown Orlando Post Office, January 1917
Downtown Orlando Post Office Construction
Construction of the Federal Building, located at 44 East Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 1917. From 1917 to 1941, the Federal Building was used for multiple purposes, which included housing the Downtown Orlando Post Office. In 1935, when James Beggs, Jr. became the postmaster, he began petitioning to move the post office from its Central Boulevard and Court Avenue location to a more spacious building. In 1939, St. James Catholic Church sold a plot of land on Jefferson Street for the new building. The building was designed by Louis A. Simon in the Northern Italian Palazzo Revival-style, and was constructed by J. P. Cullen and Sons. The new building opened in 1941 and housed the post office, the courthouse, and Internal Revenue Service (IRS) offices.
Original black and white photographs, January 1, 1917: Private Collection of Texann Ivy Buck.
Buck, Texann Ivy
Is Format Of
Digital reproduction of original black and white photographs, January 1, 1917.
Is Part Of
Downtown Orlando Post Office Collection, Orlando Remembered Collection, Orlando Collection, Orange County Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.
2 black and white photographs
Downtown Orlando Post Office, Downtown Orlando, Florida
Copyright to this resource is held by Texann Ivy Buck and is provided here by RICHES of Central Florida for educational purposes only.
Private Collection of Texann Ivy Buck