Letter from Paul H. Heimer to J. P. Cullen & Son (April 28, 1941)
Letter from Heimer to Cullen (Apr. 28, 1941)
A letter from Construction Engineer Paul H. Heimer to J. P. Cullen & Son regarding final photographs of the new Downtown Orlando Post Office. J. P. Cullen & Son was the general contractor for the construction of the new Downtown Orlando Post Office building, located at 51 East Jefferson Street. The original post office was housed in the Federal Building, located 44 East Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando, Florida, from 1917 to 1941. In 1935, when James D. Beggs, Jr. became the postmaster, he began petitioning to move the post office from its Central Boulevard and Court Avenue location to a more spacious building. In 1939, St. James Catholic Church sold a plot of land on Jefferson Street for the new building. The building was designed by Louis A. Simon in the Northern Italian Palazzo Revival-style, and was constructed by J. P. Cullen & Son. The new building opened in 1941 and housed the post office, the courthouse, and Internal Revenue Service (IRS) offices. The building was named an Orlando Historic Landmark in 1989. However, it was eventually sold back to the St. James Church. In 2003, the building was renovated and came under joint ownership by both the church and the federal government. Today, the building retains its post office services but also includes offices for the Catholic Diocese.
Heimer, Paul H.
Original letter from Paul H. Heimer to J. P. Cullen & Son, April 28, 1941: Private Collection of Texann Ivy Buck.
Buck, Texann Ivy
Is Format Of
Digital reproduction of original letter from Paul H. Heimer to J. P. Cullen & Son, April 28, 1941.
Is Part Of
Downtown Orlando Post Office Collection, Orlando Remembered Collection, Orlando Collection, Orange County Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.
1-page typewritten letter
Downtown Orlando Post Office, Downtown Orlando, Florida
Originally created by Paul H. Heimer.
Copyright to this resource is held by Texann Ivy Buck and is provided here by RICHES of Central Florida for educational purposes only.
Private Collection of Texann Ivy Buck