Letter from John Masek to H. Leeds Anwyll, Red McGee, A. Wright, and James D. Beggs, Jr. (October 23, 1940)

Dublin Core

Title

Letter from John Masek to H. Leeds Anwyll, Red McGee, A. Wright, and James D. Beggs, Jr. (October 23, 1940)

Alternative Title

Letter from Masek to Anwyll, McGee, Wright, and Beggs (Oct. 23, 1940)

Subject

Orlando (Fla.)
Post offices

Description

A letter from John Masek of the Orlando Philatelic Society to H. Leeds Anwyll, citrus executive and newspaper reporter/editor Red McGee, A. Wright, and Orlando Postmaster James D. Beggs, Jr. It is regarding the dedication ceremony of the new Downtown Post Office on April 15, 1941 and the society's involvement. The original post office was housed in the Federal Building, located 44 East Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando, Florida, from 1917 to 1941. In 1935, when James D. Beggs, Jr. became the postmaster, he began petitioning to move the post office from its Central Boulevard and Court Avenue location to a more spacious building. In 1939, St. James Catholic Church sold a plot of land on Jefferson Street for the new building. The building was designed by Louis A. Simon, located at 51 East Jefferson Street, in the Northern Italian Palazzo Revival-style, and was constructed by J. P. Cullen & Son. The new building opened in 1941 and housed the post office, the courthouse, and Internal Revenue Service (IRS) offices. The building was named an Orlando Historic Landmark in 1989. However, it was eventually sold back to the St. James Church. In 2003, the building was renovated and came under joint ownership by both the church and the federal government. Today, the building retains its post office services but also includes offices for the Catholic Diocese.

Creator

Masek, John

Source

Original letter from John Masek to H. Leeds Anwyll, Red McGee, A. Wright, and James D. Beggs, Jr., October 23, 1940: Private Collection of Texann Ivy Buck.

Date Created

1940-10-23

Contributor

Buck, Texann Ivy

Is Format Of

Digital reproduction of original letter from John Masek to H. Leeds Anwyll, Red McGee, A. Wright, and James D. Beggs, Jr., October 23, 1940.

Is Part Of

Downtown Orlando Post Office Collection, Orlando Remembered Collection, Orlando Collection, Orange County Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.

Format

image/jpg

Medium

1-page typewritten letter on Orlando Philatelic Society letterhead

Language

eng

Type

Text

Coverage

Downtown Orlando Post Office, Downtown Orlando, Florida

Accrual Method

Donation

Mediator

History Teacher

Provenance

Originally created by John Masek.

Rights Holder

Copyright to this resource is held by Texann Ivy Buck and is provided here by RICHES of Central Florida for educational purposes only.

Contributing Project

Curator

Stoddard, James

Digital Collection

Source Repository

Private Collection of Texann Ivy Buck

External Reference

Kilsheimer, Joe. "Old Post Offices Aid Revitalization Efforts." AMERICAN CITY AND COUNTY. 119: 20-21.
Rajtar, Steve. A Guide to Historic Orlando. Charleston, SC: History Press, 2006.

Locations

Categories