Letter from J. P. Cullen to Federal Works Agency Public Buildings Administration (April 30, 1941)

Dublin Core

Title

Letter from J. P. Cullen to Federal Works Agency Public Buildings Administration (April 30, 1941)

Alternative Title

Letter from Cullen to Federal Works Agency (Apr. 30, 1941)

Subject

Orlando (Fla.)
Post offices

Description

A letter from J. P. Cullen to the Federal Works Agency's (FWA) Public Buildings Administration regarding photos of the construction of the Downtown Post Office. Cullen was the head of J. P. Cullen & Son, the general contractor for the construction of the new Downtown Orlando Post Office building, located at 51 East Jefferson Street. The letter included four sets of photographs to apprise them of the current progress of construction.

The original post office was housed in the Federal Building, located 44 East Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando, Florida, from 1917 to 1941. In 1935, when James D. Beggs, Jr. became the postmaster, he began petitioning to move the post office from its Central Boulevard and Court Avenue location to a more spacious building. In 1939, St. James Catholic Church sold a plot of land on Jefferson Street for the new building. The building, located at 51 East Jefferson Street, was designed by Louis A. Simon in the Northern Italian Palazzo Revival-style, and was constructed by J. P. Cullen & Son. The new building opened in 1941 and housed the post office, the courthouse, and Internal Revenue Service (IRS) offices. The building was named an Orlando Historic Landmark in 1989. However, it was eventually sold back to the St. James Church. In 2003, the building was renovated and came under joint ownership by both the church and the federal government. Today, the building retains its post office services but also includes offices for the Catholic Diocese.

Creator

Cullen, J. P.

Source

Original letter from J. P. Cullen to Federal Works Agency Public Buildings Administration, April 30, 1941: Private Collection of Texann Ivy Buck.

Date Created

1941-04-30

Contributor

Buck, Texann Ivy

Is Format Of

Digital reproduction of original letter from J. P. Cullen to Federal Works Agency Public Buildings Administration, April 30, 1941.

Is Part Of

Downtown Orlando Post Office Collection, Orlando Remembered Collection, Orlando Collection, Orange County Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.

Is Referenced By

"Letter from Paul H. Heimer to J. P. Cullen & Son (May 3, 1941)." RICHES of Central Florida. https://richesmi.cah.ucf.edu/omeka/items/show/7608.

Format

image/jpg

Medium

1-page typewritten letter

Language

eng

Type

Text

Coverage

Downtown Orlando Post Office, Downtown Orlando, Florida

Accrual Method

Donation

Mediator

History Teacher

Provenance

Originally created by J. P. Cullen.

Rights Holder

Copyright to this resource is held by Texann Ivy Buck and is provided here by RICHES of Central Florida for educational purposes only.

Contributing Project

Curator

Stoddard, James

Digital Collection

Source Repository

Private Collection of Texann Ivy Buck

External Reference

Kilsheimer, Joe. "Old Post Offices Aid Revitalization Efforts." AMERICAN CITY AND COUNTY. 119: 20-21.
Rajtar, Steve. A Guide to Historic Orlando. Charleston, SC: History Press, 2006.

Locations

Categories