Telegram from Charles O. Andrews to James. D. Beggs (April 9, 1941)

Dublin Core

Title

Telegram from Charles O. Andrews to James. D. Beggs (April 9, 1941)

Alternative Title

Telegram from Andrews to Beggs (Apr. 9, 1941)

Subject

Orlando (Fla.)
Post offices

Description

A telegram from Senator Charles O. Andrews (1877-1946) to the Orlando Postmaster, James D. Beggs, Jr. Sen. Andrews informed Beggs that Walter D. Myers, the Fourth Assistant Postmaster General, will be participating in the dedication ceremony of the Downtown Orlando Post Office of April 15, 1941.

The original post office was housed in the Federal Building, located 44 East Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando, Florida, from 1917 to 1941. In 1935, when James D. Beggs, Jr. became the postmaster, he began petitioning to move the post office from its Central Boulevard and Court Avenue location to a more spacious building. In 1939, St. James Catholic Church sold a plot of land of Jefferson Street for the new building. The building was designed by Louis A. Simon in the Northern Italian Palazzo Revival-style, and was constructed by J. P. Cullen & Son. The new building opened in 1941 and housed the post office, the courthouse, and Internal Revenue Service (IRS) offices. The building was named an Orlando Historic Landmark in 1989. However, it was eventually sold back to the St. James Church. In 2003, the building was renovated and came under joint ownership by both the church and the federal government. Today, the building retains its post office services but also includes offices for the Catholic Diocese.

Creator

Andrews, Charles O.

Source

Original telegram from Charles O. Andrews to James. D. Beggs, April 9, 1941: Private Collection of Texann Ivy Buck.

Date Created

1941-04-09

Contributor

Buck, Texann Ivy

Is Referenced By

"Letter from J. D. Beggs to Walter D. Myers (April 9, 1941)." RICHES of Central Florida. https://richesmi.cah.ucf.edu/omeka/items/show/7615.

Format

image/jpg

Extent

154 KB

Medium

1-page typewritten telegram

Language

eng

Type

Text

Coverage

Downtown Orlando Post Office, Downtown Orlando, Florida

Accrual Method

Donation

Mediator

History Teacher

Provenance

Originally created by Charles O. Andrews.

Rights Holder

Copyright to this resource is held by Texann Ivy Buck and is provided here by RICHES of Central Florida for educational purposes only.

Contributing Project

Curator

Stoddard, James

Digital Collection

Source Repository

Private Collection of Texann Ivy Buck

External Reference

Kilsheimer, Joe. "Old Post Offices Aid Revitalization Efforts." AMERICAN CITY AND COUNTY. 119: 20-21.
Rajtar, Steve. A Guide to Historic Orlando. Charleston, SC: History Press, 2006.

Locations

Categories