Suggested Program for Dedication of the New U. S. Post Office and Court House
Downtown Orlando Post Office Suggested Program for Dedication
The suggested program for the dedication ceremony for the new Downtown Orlando Post Office. This document includes a list of the members of the Greater Orlando Chamber of Commerce and a schedule of events. The original post office was housed in the Federal Building, located 44 East Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando, Florida, from 1917 to 1941. In 1935, when James D. Beggs, Jr. became the postmaster, he began petitioning to move the post office from its Central Boulevard and Court Avenue location to a more spacious building. In 1939, St. James Catholic Church sold a plot of land of Jefferson Street for the new building. The building, located at 51 East Jefferson Street, was designed by Louis A. Simon in the Northern Italian Palazzo Revival-style, and was constructed by J. P. Cullen & Son. The new building opened in 1941 and housed the post office, the courthouse, and Internal Revenue Service (IRS) offices. The building was named an Orlando Historic Landmark in 1989. However, it was eventually sold back to the St. James Church. In 2003, the building was renovated and came under joint ownership by both the church and the federal government. Today, the building retains its post office services but also includes offices for the Catholic Diocese.
Original program: Private Collection of Texann Ivy Buck.
Buck, Texann Ivy
1-page typewritten program
Downtown Orlando Post Office, Downtown Orlando, Florida
Copyright to this resource is held by Texann Ivy Buck and is provided here by RICHES of Central Florida for educational purposes only.
Private Collection of Texann Ivy Buck