Construction of the Downtown Orlando Post Office, July 1940

Dublin Core

Title

Construction of the Downtown Orlando Post Office, July 1940

Alternative Title

Downtown Orlando Post Office Construction

Subject

Orlando (Fla.)
Post offices
Construction

Description

Construction of the new Downtown Orlando Post Office building, located at 51 East Jefferson Street, in 1940. The original post office was housed in the Federal Building, located 44 East Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando, Florida, from 1917 to 1941. In 1935, when James Beggs, Jr. became the postmaster, he began petitioning to move the post office from its Central Boulevard and Court Avenue location to a more spacious building. In 1939, St. James Catholic Church sold a plot of land on Jefferson Street for the new building. The building was designed by Louis A. Simon in the Northern Italian Palazzo Revival-style, and was constructed by J. P. Cullen and Sons. The new building opened in 1941 and housed the post office, the courthouse, and Internal Revenue Service (IRS) offices. The building was named an Orlando Historic Landmark in 1989. However, it was eventually sold back to the St. James Church. In 2003, the building was renovated and came under joint ownership by both the church and the federal government. Today, the building retains its post office services but also includes offices for the Catholic Diocese.

Source

Original black and white photographs by O'Rork Studios, July 1, 1940: Private Collection of Texann Ivy Buck.

Date Created

1940-07-01

Contributor

Buck, Texann Ivy

Is Format Of

Digital reproduction of original black and white photographs by O'Rork Studios, July 1, 1940.

Is Part Of

Downtown Orlando Post Office Collection, Orlando Remembered Collection, Orlando Collection, Orange County Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.

Format

application/pdf

Extent

260 KB
262 KB

Medium

2 black and white photographs

Language

eng

Type

Still Image

Coverage

Downtown Orlando Post Office, Downtown Orlando, Florida

Accrual Method

Donation

Mediator

History Teacher
Geography Teacher

Rights Holder

Copyright to this resource is held by Texann Ivy Buck and is provided here by RICHES of Central Florida for educational purposes only.

Contributing Project

Curator

Cepero, Laura

Digital Collection

Source Repository

Private Collection of Texann Ivy Buck

External Reference

Kilsheimer, Joe. "Old Post Offices Aid Revitalization Efforts" AMERICAN CITY AND COUNTY. 119: 20-21.
Rajtar, Steve. A Guide to Historic Orlando. Charleston, SC: History Press, 2006.

Locations

Categories