Browse Items (44 total)

  • Tags: Jefferson Street

OR00332.jpg
An elevated view of Orlando, Florida, in 1884. The lithograph focused on Sinclair's Real Estate Agency, located on the corner of Pine Street and South Orange Avenue. Other sites highlighted in the lithograph include the home of J. G. Sinclair, the…

OR00257.jpg
A letter from M. C. Muddleson to Orlando Postmaster James D. Beggs, Jr., dated January 16, 1941. In the letter, Muddleson discusses plans for the dedication ceremony of the new Downtown Orlando Post Office building, located at 51 East Jefferson…

OR00136.jpg
Created in 1889, the St. James School was originally a foundation for the former St. Joseph's Academy. However, after the Academy closed in 1929, the introduction of the Cathedral school began and it has continued the traditions of St. Joseph's by…

OR00135.JPG
From this view of the Historic Post Office building, a giant crucifix is visible. This represents the area occupied by the Chancery center for the Diocese of Orlando. In 2001, Bishop Norbert Dorsey bought most of the building, which is on land the…

OR00134.jpg
A replica of a 1931 Ford Model A mail truck. During the 20th century, the U.S. Post Office Department began to increasingly rely on automobiles for the rapid and effective delivery of mail. First used in rural areas, mail trucks began to see…

OR00131.jpg
Taken in 1941, this group photograph shows all the operational staff at the newly constructed Downtown Orlando Post Office, located at 51 East Jefferson Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida. All employees of the Post Office, including the custodians,…

OR00125.JPG
A newspaper article about the planning and construction of the new Downtown Orlando Post Office building, located at 51 East Jefferson Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida. The lot was formerly the site of a Catholic school in coordination with the…

OR00124.jpg
A postcard displaying a drawing of the new Downtown Orlando Post Office building, located at 51 East Jefferson Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida. The post office was built and finished in 1941 as a result of funding provided by the federal…

OR00123.JPG
A letter of correspondence concerning the formal dedication of the new Downtown Orlando Post Office building, located at 51 East Jefferson Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida. The ceremony was sponsored by the Greater Orlando Chamber of Commerce. The…

OR00122.jpg
In 1922, the letter carrier’s badge was redesigned. The new badge was solid, of nickel-plated metal, elliptical in shape, and topped with a 1/2 inch tall eagle with wings spread two inches wide. The numbers, raised in the center of the badge, were…

OR00121.jpg
A mailman badge worn on hats and coats by post office staff. In 1922, the letter carrier’s badge was redesigned. The new badge was solid, of nickel-plated metal, elliptical in shape, and topped with a 1/2 inch tall eagle with wings spread two…

OR00120.JPG
Postal employees after the construction of the new Downtown Orlando Post Office building, located at 51 East Jefferson Street, circa 1941. The photograph includes 109 employees ranging from superintendent to clerk. The Postmaster and Assistant…

Tags: ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;

OR00130.jpg
An envelope sent from A. Dellinger to Elaine Pancake, the customer relations coordinator for the Downtown Orlando Post Office, located at 51 East Jefferson Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida. This particular post office was constructed in a Spanish…

OR00116.jpg
An envelope from J. Huang to Elaine Pancake, the customer relations coordinator for the Downtown Orlando Post Office, located at 51 East Jefferson Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida. This particular post office was constructed in a Spanish Colonial…

OR00115.jpg
A money transfer sent by Ebenezer Nanabamyin Okai in Tema, Ghana, to Elaine Pancake, the customer relations coordinator for the Downtown Orlando Post Office, located at 51 East Jefferson Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida. This particular post…

OR00114.JPG
The new Downtown Orlando Post Office building, located at 51 East Jefferson Street, during construction circa 1941. In 1935, when James Beggs, Jr. became the postmaster, he began petitioning to move the post office from its Central Boulevard and…

OR00127.jpg
A postage stamp issued in 1947. Claude Pepper (1900-1989), then U.S. Senator from Florida, wrote Postmaster General Hannegan on July 9, 1947, to petition for a postage stamp to commemorate the dedication of the Everglades National Park. The…

OR00126.jpg
A notary/corporate postmark used to officially apply to a piece of mail as it passes through the mailstream. It includes town data and was part of a process where postal workers would stamp markings indicating routing, directory service, postage due,…

OR00113.jpg
This a notary/corporate postmark used to officially apply to a piece of mail as it passes through the mailstream. It includes town data (Orlando) and was part of a process where postal workers would stamp markings indicating routing, directory…

OR00112.jpg
This is a handstamp postmark that was used to mark postage stamp to prevent reuse. Prior to the advent of stamps to prepay postage, such markings only served to provide information to postal clerks as they handled the stampless envelope. After stamps…

OR00111.jpg
This is a neighborhood mailbox padlock from the post-World War II period. Its case and shackle are made of brass, opened by key, and uses a five-lever lock. It was a type of lock distributed by the U.S. Post Office Department to residents of Orlando…

OR00108.jpg
A traditional mail satchel worn by mail carriers to deliver their packages. The one shown in the picture was one of the series of leather satchels that were manufactured and used from 1868 until 1974, when they were phased out by the canvas satchels…

OR00107.JPG
A class picture taken outside of St. Joseph's Academy in Downtown Orlando, Florida. The academy was created in 1889, along with St. James Cathedral School, and they were both placed along the intersection of Robinson Avenue and Magnolia Avenue. In…

OR00106.JPG
"Two envelopes, which were processed by the Downtown Orlando Post Office and addressed to Betty Riddle. The first envelope was stamped September 15, 1941, while the other envelope, sent nine months later, was stamped June 13, 1942. Riddle was a born…

OR00102.jpg
This is a replica of a mail satchel cart used to transport multiple satchels of mail to ease the burden upon the mail carrier. The use of satchel carts is very situational and used in instances where the postal vehicle would be unable to reach a…

OR00100.jpg
The classic and distinguished hat that was a part of the attire worn by both postmen and mail truck drivers. The iconic badge of the U.S. Post Office adorns the face of the hat to identify postmen as federal employees and also to signify the role…

OR00098.JPG
Students outside of St. Joseph’s Academy in Downtown Orlando, Florida. In 1889, St. Joseph’s Academy was constructed on the church grounds of St. James Catholic Church. The Catholic school was administrated by the Sisters of St. Joseph. The…

OR00095.JPG
Seventh and eighth graders at St. Joseph's Academy, located at 53 East Jefferson Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 1928. St. Joseph's Academy opened on October 17, 1889, with just 40 students. The school, built by Father J. J. Creed of St.…

OR00094.JPG
St. Joseph's Academy's seven-member boys basketball team standing in a wooded area in 1929. St. Joseph's Academy, located at 53 East Jefferson Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, opened on October 17, 1889, with just 40 students. The school, built…

OR00093.jpg
A leather postal mail strap from the Downtown Orlando Post Office, located at 51 East Jefferson Street. Mail straps were used by Orlando postal workers to tie mail together. Leather satchels were used by U.S. postal workers to carry mail from 1864 to…

OR00092.JPG
The new Downtown Orlando Post Office building, located at 51 East Jefferson Street, circa 1941. In 1935, when James Beggs, Jr. became the postmaster, he began petitioning to move the post office from its Central Boulevard and Court Avenue location to…

OR00091.jpg
A receipt for a PO box for R. C. M. Zachary with the box number that he paid for, listed along with the dates of purchase and when the rent for the PO box expires. In addition, the receipt shows the exact amount of $4.52 that Zachary paid along with…

OR00003.jpg
Denmark's Sporting Goods, located at 149 North Magnolia Avenue (formerly Main Street) in Downtown Orlando, Florida. Denmark's was founded in 1941 by Tom Denmark and quickly became one of Central Florida's largest sporting goods suppliers. The store…

PHC00053.pdf
Seminole County Public Schools' Teacher Records from 1913 to 1954. When the Seminole County School Board was established in 1913, it began recording teachers' names, ages, certifications, years of experience, number of months contracted, and salaries…

Tags: ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;

TCC00176.jpg
St. James Catholic Cathedral, located at 215 North Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2001. In 1881, Bishop John Moore purchased a block of land bound by Orange Avenue, Magnolia Avenue, Jefferson Street, and Robinson Street. On January…

TCC00018.jpg
The JCPenney Building, located at the corner of Orange Avenue and Jefferson Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2001. James Cash Penney established his company in the early 1900s. The company was incorporated under the name J. C. Penney Company…

OC00046.pdf
Street map of the City of Orlando, Florida, printed in 1936. The map shows the route of a 23-mile scenic drive around 18 lakes in Orlando. It has listings of apartment houses, churches, hotels, real estate brokers, newspapers, schools, clubs,…

Tags: ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;

OC00025.pdf
Tourist guide of Orlando, Florida published in 1919. Grant's Tourist Guide includes a sketch of Orlando written by Samuel A. Robinson and delivered as a speech in 1918 to the Orlando Board of Trade. The guide has numerous printed photographs of…

Tags: ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;