St. James Catholic Cathedral, 2001

Dublin Core

Title

St. James Catholic Cathedral, 2001

Alternative Title

St. James Catholic Cathedral

Subject

Orlando (Fla.)
Buildings--Florida
Churches--Florida
Catholic Church--Florida
Cathedrals--United States
Catholicism--United States
Catholics--Florida

Description

St. James Catholic Cathedral, located at 215 North Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2001. In 1881, Bishop John Moore purchased a block of land bound by Orange Avenue, Magnolia Avenue, Jefferson Street, and Robinson Street. On January 23, 1887, the cornerstone of the Holy Nativity Catholic Church was set under the leadership of Father Felix P. Swembergh. The building was designed by Kurz and Allison's Art Studio of Chicago, Illinois, in the American Gothic style. The structure was completed in June of 1891, under the guidance of Father Joseph J. Creed, who replaced Father Swembergh after his death in October 1887. It was renamed as St. James Catholic Church the following year.

In 1889, a storm destroyed the church's roof and the City of Orlando condemned the building. The church was rebuilt in 1889 in the old Carpenter Gothic style and seated 240. It was torn down around 1950 and the new building, designed by Donovan Dean and Arthur White, was completed on January 20, 1952. In 1977, the building was designated as the diocese's cathedral due to the destruction of the St. Charles Borromeo Cathedral by fire. In July of 2009, the cathedral was closed for renovations and was re-dedicated on November 20, 2010.

Creator

Cook, Thomas

Source

Original color image by Thomas Cook, 2001: Private Collection of Thomas Cook.

Date Created

2001

Contributor

Cook, Thomas

Is Part Of

Thomas Cook Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.

Format

image/jpg

Extent

179 KB
208 KB
219 KB
251 KB
344 KB

Medium

5 color digital images

Language

eng

Type

Still Image

Coverage

Holy Nativity Catholic Church, Downtown Orlando, Florida
St. James Catholic Church, Downtown Orlando, Florida
St. James Catholic Cathedral, Downtown Orlando, Florida

Accrual Method

Donation

Mediator

History Teacher
Geography Teacher
Humanities Teacher
Visual Arts Teacher

Provenance

Originally created by Thomas Cook and published by RICHES of Central Florida.

Rights Holder

Copyright to this resource is held by Thomas Cook and is provided here by RICHES of Central Florida for educational purposes only.

Curator

Cepero, Laura

Digital Collection

Source Repository

Private Collection of Thomas Cook

External Reference

"About Us" St. James Catholic Cathedral. http://www.stjamesorlando.org/about-us/.
Rajtar, Steve. A Guide to Historic Orlando. Charleston, SC: History Press, 2006.
Antequino, Stephanie Gaub, and Tana Mosier Porter. Lost Orlando Charleston, S.C.: Arcadia Pub, 2012.

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

5 color digital images

Locations

Categories