Browse Items (124 total)

  • Tags: Orange Avenue

OR00162.JPG
McElroy Apartments was originally a building owned by Sylvan McElroy Sr., whose family was one of the first settlers in Orlando, Florida, arriving in 1881. McElroy attended Rollins Academy (present-day Rollins College) in Winter Park, the Stetson…

OR00332.jpg
An elevated view of Orlando, Florida, in 1884. The lithograph focused on Sinclair's Real Estate Agency, located on the corner of Pine Street and South Orange Avenue. Other sites highlighted in the lithograph include the home of J. G. Sinclair, the…

SL00054.jpg
A letter from Carolyn S. Cope was sent in response to an inquiry from Dorothy Barbour regarding outparcel land surrounding the Florida Mall. Cope was a real estate broker at of Two XI, Inc., located in Coconut Grove in Miami, Florida. The mall was…

SL00053.jpg
A letter from Dorothy Barbour to Carolyn S. Cope, whose first name is misspelled in the letter. In the letter, Barbour requests land information connected to the planned site for the Florida Mall in Orlando, Florida. Cope was a real estate broker for…

SL00036.jpg
An aerial photograph showing the Bee Line Mall and its surrounding areas in 1966. The photograph is annotated to show the surrounding roadways, Sky Lake, Oak Ridge, Candlelight Park, the Gold Key Inn, Piccadilly Restaurant, and Travelodge. Sky Lake…

OR00137.mp3
An oral history interview of Dann Pottinger, conducted by Caitlin Baldwin on November 9, 2015. Pottinger was born August 14, 1947, on the British Bay Island in Honduras. He moved to Orlando, Florida as a small child and attended primary school in the…

HH00250.pdf
A scrapbook for the 75th anniversary celebration of the Oviedo Woman's Club (OWC) on February 22, 1981. The scrapbook includes a sign-in sheet, notes, letters, envelopes

Tags: ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;

HH00411.pdf
The centennial edition of The Oviedo Outlook published in 1979 to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the founding of Oviedo, Florida. The newspaper begins with a brief history of Oviedo, followed by articles devoted to important members of the…

Tags: ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;

OR00118.JPG
St. James Cathedral was originally finished in June of 1891 under Bishop John Moore of the Diocese of St. Augustine, Father Swembergh, and later Father Creed, who succeeded Father Swembergh following his death. Since its original 40 by 70 feet wooden…

OR00117.JPG
A Catholic procession in Downtown Orlando, Florida, sometime between 1939 and 1941. Altar servers are followed by the bishop, priests, and congregants. In these processions, a cross bearer and candle holder, who are not pictured, led the procession…

OR00110.jpg
A letter sent from Perrios Haedji to John Kamitsos. On the front are three unique stamps with Greek words along with three seals from the Downtown Orlando Post Office approving the letter. Kamitsos' ethnic background was Greek, as his father…

CFMH00164.JPG
Gargamel! performing live at The Social, located at 54 North Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, on July 31, 2003. The first photograph features, from left to right, Wayne Larsen on keyboards, Ryan Dailey on guitar, Chuck Ellis on vocals,…

CFMH00145.JPG
Beeb$ and Her Money Makers at the group's CD release party at The Beacham Theater in Downtown Orlando, Florida, on . The first two photographs feature kazoo player and vocalist Michelle Beebs and the third photographs shows bassist Levon White.Led by…

CFMH00160.JPG
JunkieRush at a sold-out show at The Social, located at 54 North Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando on July 30, 2007. This photograph features drummer Bobby Koelble.Formed in 2000 by guitarist/vocalist/songwriter Bobby Koelble, who was also a member…

CFMH00159.JPG
A crowd lined up down the street for a sold-out JunkieRush show at The Social, located at 54 North Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, on July 30, 2007. The Social is an Indie music venue in Downtown Orlando that hosts international,…

CFMH00133.jpg
Kaleigh Baker and The Downgetters performing live at Ralphfest 2 at The Beacham Theater, located at 46 North Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, on November 24, 2012. The Downgetters is an all-star band from Orlando, featuring, from left to…

CFMH00132.jpg
Milkanette "Milka" Ramos performing live with the band, MILKA, at Ralphfest 2 at The Social, located at 54 North Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, on November 24, 2012. MILKA is a rock band formed in Orlando, consisting of Ramos on guitar…

CFMH00131.jpg
The Beacham Theater, located at 46 North Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, during Ralphfest 2. Ralphfest is an annual concert festival in Downtown Orlando, Florida, that celebrates the memory and musical influence of Ralph Ameduri, Jr.…

CFMH00123.JPG
The Bloody Jug Band at The Social, located at 54 North Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, during the Florida Music Festival on April 26, 2014. The Florida Music Festival, or FMF, was founded by aXis Magazine & Promotions in 2002 as a…

CFMH00113.jpg
The Supervillains performing live at the Beacham Theater, located at 46 North Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, on November 21, 2012. The first and second photographs feature, from left to right, drummer/vocalist Dominic Maresco and bassist…

CFMH00110.JPG
The Supervillains performing live at The Social, located at 54 North Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, on July 20, 2007. The first photograph features, from left to right, Scott "Skart" Suldo on guitar, Dominic Maresco on drums, Jonathan…

HH00481.jpg
An area map of Oviedo, Florida, and its surrounding areas. A number of advertisements from the businesses surrond the perimeter of the map. While the date is unknown, the map is believed to have been published sometime between 1970 and 1978. The…

Tags: ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;

DB00007.jpg
A postcard featuring a horse and buggy on Orange Avenue in Daytona, Florida, around 1910. Palm fronds, live oaks, and electric power lines line both sides of the street.In 1871, Mathias Day, Jr. (1824-1904), a migrant from Mansfield, Ohio, purchased…

OR00071.JPG
A thermometer from Hotel Bass, which operated under that title from 1946 to 1965. The hotel was owned by Walter C. Bass (1900-1973) and his wife, Ethel Bass. Located at 217 South Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, the building itself was…

OR00088.JPG
An etching of the Barnett Plaza and the adjacent CNA Tower, built in 1962. The plaza and the tower were constructed on the block surrounded by South Orange Avenue, East Church Street, South Magnolia Avenue (formerly South Main Street), and East…

OR00087.JPG
This painting accompanies the Orlando Remembered exhibit at the Downtown Orlando Information Center, located at 201 South Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida. The painting was created by James Stoll, who has contributed various works of art,…

OR00086.JPG
This painting accompanies the Orlando Remembered exhibit at the Downtown Orlando Information Center, located at 201 South Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida. The painting was created by James Stoll, who has contributed various works of art,…

OR00085.JPG
This painting accompanies the Orlando Remembered exhibit at the Downtown Orlando Information Center, located at 201 South Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida. The painting was created by James Stoll, who has contributed various works of art,…

OR00084.JPG
This painting accompanies the Orlando Remembered exhibit at the Downtown Orlando Information Center, located at 201 South Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida. The painting was created by James Stoll, who has contributed various works of art,…

OR00083.JPG
This painting accompanies the Orlando Remembered exhibit at the Downtown Orlando Information Center, located at 201 South Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida. The painting was created by James Stoll, who has contributed various works of art,…

OR00082.JPG
This painting accompanies the Orlando Remembered exhibit at the Downtown Orlando Information Center, located at 201 South Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida. The painting was created by James Stoll, who has contributed various works of art,…

OR00081.JPG
This painting accompanies the Orlando Remembered exhibit at the Downtown Orlando Information Center, located at 201 South Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida. The painting was created by James Stoll, who has contributed various works of art,…

OR00079.jpg
The Downtown Orlando Information Center with the BB&T Bank building in the background. The Barnett Plaza was built in 1962 and was the location of the CNA Tower. The center is located at 400 South Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida.

OR00072.jpg
Walter C. Bass (1900-1973) was born in Kissimmee, Florida, on January 9, 1900. He had attended the University of Florida (UF) and was a member of Kappa Sigma fraternity, a 32d Degree Mason, a member of the Grotto and the Elks Club. Bass belonged to…

OR00070.jpg
Hotel Bass, which was operated under that title from 1946 to 1965. The hotel was owned by Walter C. Bass (1900-1973) and his wife, Ethel Bass. Located at 217 South Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, the building itself was built in 1907 and…

OR00069.jpg
This image is of South Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, sometime between 1930 and 1950. This lot, as well as the rest of the block, was later replaced by the CNA Tower and Barnett Plaza.

OR00067.JPG
In this image, Max Yacobian is seen trimming the hair of Doug Crenshaw in 1953. The boy's father and grandfather, Don Crenshaw and Earl Crenshaw, respectively, are also in attendance. Yacobian worked as a barber at Star Barbershop since 1938, and…

OR00066.JPG
This photograph shows three businesses located on South Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, sometime between 1941 and 1946: City Cab Company Taxi Service, Kelly's Tires, and the American Fire and Casualty Company. City Cab Co. was founded by…

OR00036.jpeg
The former location of Kiddie Korner, a children's store that was also know as Kiddie Shoppe. The store was opened by Nat Berman and Pauline Berman at 66 North Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in the early 1930s. The shoppe later expanded…

OR00034.jpeg
The former location of the Associated Radio Store, located at 149 North Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2014. At the time that this photograph was taken, IKON Office Solutions was operating from this address.

OR00033.jpeg
Sears, Roebuck & Company store, which was located at 111-113 North Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida. Sears moved into the first floor of Philips Apartments in 1931. Before Sears arrived, the building, as well as the city of Orlando, was…

OR00030.jpeg
St. James Catholic Cathedral is located at 215 North Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida. In 1881, Bishop John Moore (b. ca. 1834-1901) purchased a block of land bound by Orange Avenue, Magnolia Avenue, Jefferson Street, and Robinson Street.…

OR00027.jpg
Walton MacJordan (b. 1905) was born in 1905 in Kentucky and attended college at the University of Alabama. He moved to Georgia and started his career in retail by becoming the youngest manager of a department store in the South. In 1932, he moved to…

OR00023.jpg
St. James Catholic Cathedral, located at 215 North Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, around 1940. In 1881, Bishop John Moore (b. ca. 1834-1901) purchased a block of land bound by Orange Avenue, Magnolia Avenue, Jefferson Street, and…

OR00022.jpg
A Sears, Roebuck & Company window display showing women's swimsuits during the 1940s or 1950s. The Sears store was located at 111-113 North Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida. Sears moved into the first floor of Philips Apartments in…

OR00021.jpg
A replica of a Sears, Roebuck & Company watch from 1886. A Sears store was located at 111-113 North Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida. Sears moved into the first floor of Philips Apartments in 1931. Before Sears arrived, the building,…

OR00020.jpg
The Sears, Roebuck & Company store located at 111-113 North Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida. Sears moved into the first floor of Philips Apartments in 1931. Before Sears arrived, the building, as well as the city of Orlando, was…

OR00019.jpg
A Sears, Roebuck & Company blimp on the roof of the Sears store located at 111-113 North Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida. Sears moved into the first floor of Philips Apartments in 1931. Before Sears arrived, the building, as well as…

OR00018.jpg
A Sears, Roebuck & Company merchandise catalog for 1939. A Sears store was located at 111-113 North Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida. Sears moved into the first floor of Philips Apartments in 1931. Before Sears arrived, the building,…

OR00017.jpg
Roger Holler, Sr. originally worked for General Motors when he migrated to Orlando, Florida. Soon after relocating, Holler opened his own dealership with Chevrolet. In this photograph, Holler is seen wearing a cowboy hat with a fleet of Sears,…

OR00015.jpg
A General Electric Radio purchased from the Associated Radio Store, located at 149 North Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida. Before the advent of television, radio served as a major source of communication and entertainment. In 1885,…

OR00013.jpg
A "Pennsylvania Polka" record manufactured by Decca Records, Inc. in New York City, New York. "Pennsylvania Polka" was performed by Lester Lee and Zeke Manners (1911-2000) on The Lawrence Welk Show. This particular copy was purchased from the…

OR00011.jpg
Toy blocks from Kiddie Korner, a children's store that was also know as Kiddie Shoppe. The store was opened by Nat Berman and Pauline Berman at 66 North Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in the early 1930s. The shoppe later expanded to a…

OR00010.jpg
An intercome telephone from the Sears, Roebuck & Company store, which was located at 111-113 North Orange Avenue in Orlando, Florida. Sears moved into the first floor of Philips Apartments in 1931. Before Sears arrived, the building, as well as…

OR00001.jpg
The wedding ceremony for Andy Serros and Helen Gentile at St. James Cathedral on February 7, 1950. Serros was one of the founders of Orlando Remembered. This wedding was one of the last to be held in the old St. James Church before it was rebuilt to…

PHC00053.pdf
Seminole County Public Schools' Teacher Records from 1913 to 1954. When the Seminole County School Board was established in 1913, it began recording teachers' names, ages, certifications, years of experience, number of months contracted, and salaries…

Tags: ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;

RPD00003.pdf
Episode 3 of RICHES Podcast Documentaries: Serving the Community: The New Deal Post Office of Cocoa Florida. RICHES Podcast Documentaries are short form narrative documentaries that explore Central Florida history and are locally produced. These…

SC00710.jpg
Zion Hope Missionary Baptist Church, located at 710 Orange Avenue in Georgetown, an African-American community in Sanford, Florida, in 2011. Zion Hope was founded in a brush arbor, under the leadership of Reverend Wash Levingston, on June 9, 1888.…

TC00069.jpg
The LizArt Live! auction at Orlando City Hall, located at 400 South Orange Avenue, in Downtown Orlando, Florida 2002. The statues range between 5 feet and six inches in height to seven feet and six inches in length. The lizard statues were originally…

TC00067.jpg
The Orange County Courthouse, located at 425 North Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2003. In 1857, B. F. Caldwell donated four acres of land at the northeast corner of Central Boulevard and Main Street (present-day Magnolia Avenue) for…

TCC00149.jpg
Construction at the Orange Avenue Plaza Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2007. The Orlando area was originally occupied by the Creek and Seminole tribes. In 1838, Fort Gatlin was erected on the shores of Lake Gatlin, just a few miles south of…

TCC00147.jpg
The holiday star located at the intersection of Central Boulevard and Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2007. The holiday star tradition was started in 1955 by two department stores: Ivey's and Dickson & Ives. The stores hung a large…

TCC00145.jpg
The holiday star located at the intersection of Central Boulevard and Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2003. The holiday star tradition was started in 1955 by two department stores: Ivey's and Dickson & Ives. The stores hung a large…

TCC00142.jpg
The intersection of Orange Avenue and Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando in 2001, Florida. The SunTrust Center can be seen on the left and a Lynx bus stop can be seen on the right.

The Orlando area was originally occupied by the Creek and…

TCC00118.jpg
Lake Lucerne in Downtown Orlando, Florida, 2001. Lake Lucerne is one of two primary lakes connected with the earliest days of the City of Orlando. Along with Lake Eola, it defined one of the natural borders of the young town in the 1860s and 1870s.…

TCC00095.jpg
The Angebilt Hotel, located at 37 North Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florda, in 2002. The building was constructed between 1921 and 1923. Plans to build the hotel were announced in June 1921 and construction cost $1 million. Florida's first…

TCC00094.jpg
The Angebilt Hotel, located at 37 North Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florda, in 2002. The building was constructed between 1921 and 1923. Plans to build the hotel were announced in June 1921 and construction cost $1 million. Florida's first…

TCC00176.jpg
St. James Catholic Cathedral, located at 215 North Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2001. In 1881, Bishop John Moore purchased a block of land bound by Orange Avenue, Magnolia Avenue, Jefferson Street, and Robinson Street. On January…

TCC00204.jpg
Powell Cemetery, located at 3858 South Orange Avenue in Orlando, Florida, in 2003. The cemetery is located on land originally owned by Isaac and Sarah Ann Powell. The cemetery is approximately a quarter of an acre and has 32 gravestones, many of…

TCC00056.jpg
Woolworth-McCrory Building, located at 101 South Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, during demolition in 2003. Woolworth's was a retail company established by Frank Winfield Woolworth in 1879. McCrory's was a chain of five-and-dime stores…

TCC00053.jpg
The Woolworth-McCrory Building, located at 101 South Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2001. Woolworth's was a retail company established by Frank Winfield Woolworth in 1879. McCrory's was a chain of five-and-dime stores established by…

TCC00045.jpg
The Rutland Building, located at 63 North Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2002. The original two-story structure was designed by F. Earl Deloe in the Art Moderne-style for Joseph Rutland's menswear store in 1941. In 1952, three…

TCC00036.jpg
The Metcalf Building, located at 101 South Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida. in 2002. The building opened in 1924 and was the third skyscraper in Orlando. A. G. Bentley built the structure for the Orlando Federal Savings and Loan…

TCC00031.jpg
The McCrory Building, located at 101 South Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2001. The Art Moderne-style structure, with parts from an 1888 building, was constructed by the J. G. Stores Corporation in 1942. McCrory operated its store and…

TCC00030.jpg
The entrance of the McCrory Building, located at 101 South Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2002. The Art Moderne-style structure, with parts from an 1888 building, was constructed by the J. G. Stores Corporation in 1942. McCrory…

TCC00018.jpg
The JCPenney Building, located at the corner of Orange Avenue and Jefferson Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2001. James Cash Penney established his company in the early 1900s. The company was incorporated under the name J. C. Penney Company…

TCC00014.jpg
The Sun First National Bank of Orlando, located at 190 South Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2001. In 1911, Seth Woodruff founded the People's National Bank and renamed it the First National Bank in 1920. In 1926, the bank announced…

TCC00006.jpg
The Dolive Building, located at 110-114 North Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2003. The original stucco structure was built around 1918 by Silas Dolive with twentieth century-style and some Spanish colonial elements. Dolive relocated…

TCC00005.jpg
The Dolive Building, located at 110-114 North Orange Avenue in Orlando, in 2002. The original stucco structure was built around 1918 by Silas Dolive with twentieth century-style and some Spanish colonial elements. Dolive relocated to Orlando in 1886…

TCC00003.jpg
The Dickson & Ives Building, located at 214 South Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2001. In the 1880s, H. H. Dickson and Sidney Ives, Sr. arrived in Orlando and opened mercantile establishments independently of one another. The two…

OC00069.jpg
The Dr. Phillips Theater, located at 23-29 South Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2002. In 1916, Dr. P. Phillips hired Murray S. King to design his theater on the northeast corner of Orange Avenue and Pine Street. In July of 1917, Dr.…

OC00068.jpg
The Beacham, located at 46 North Orange Avenue, in 2001. The was originally built as a jail for Orange County in 1884. Braxton Beacham Sr. bought the building in 1917 and opened it as the Beacham Theatre in 1921. As of 2013, The Beacham operates as a…

MA00001.pdf
The Apopka Chief, volume I, number 47 for March 7, 1924. This edition of the newspaper announces a new publishing plant, built by Lee F. Lovell, measuring 80 feet by 35 feet and featuring a Single Keyboard 14 Linotype. Published by the Apopka…

Tags: ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;

GC00368.pdf
Selected pages from History of Orange County Florida: Narrative and Biographical by William Fremont Blackman, Ph.D., L.L.D. Blackman was formally a professor at Yale University and President of Rollins College. The book was published by the E. O.…

Tags: ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;