Browse Items (32 total)

  • Tags: lake

LCC000574.pdf
A postcard depicting an illustrated map of the cities on the shores Lac Léman, or Lake Geneva. The lake is located on the north side of the Alps and is shared by Switzerland and France.This postcard is part of a collection of postcards kept by…

HH00404.pdf
A map of Lake Charm, a 19-acre lake located in the Lake Jesup Watershed of Oviedo, Florida, sometime between 1865 and 1870. The map shows mostly orange groves and farmland owned by a handful of individuals: Walter Gwynn, Dr. Henry Foster, Mary E.…

ONP00024.jpg
A newspaper article dated June 9, 1964. The article briefly describes remarks by C. W. Sheffield, an Orange County sanitary engineer. Sheffield states that Lake Apopka, Florida is healthier than it has been in four years, primarily due to dilution…

ONP00009.jpg
A 1-page memorandum from W. R. Peavy, Jr., a fishery biologist with the Florida Game and Freshwater Fish Commission, regarding the May 1962 Lake Apopka fish kill. The memorandum revises the earlier estimate of fish killed, found in Harold L. Moody's…

ONP00003.jpg
A water quality survey for Lake Apopka. Samples shown were taken by Harold L. Moody, a fishery biologist working for the Florida Game and Freshwater Fish Commission. The samples were drawn from several locations across the lake, over a range of one…

OC00140.jpg
Discovery Island, located at the Walt Disney World Resort Bay Lake near Orlando, Florida, in September of 1991. Before the arrival of Walt Disney World, the 11.5-acre island was called Raz Island, in honor of the family that inhabited it. In the late…

SC00181.jpg
Sanford's riverfront in the late 1950s. Pictured is a gasoline tank and farm, which has since been replaced by Sailpointe Apartments at 401 West Seminole Boulevard.

The present-day Sanford, Florida, area was originally inhabited by the Mayaca and…

SC00173.jpg
Sanford's Riverfront from a north view during the 19th century, with a steamship pictured in the background. The present-day Sanford, Florida, area was originally inhabited by the Mayaca and Joroco tribes by the time Europeans arrived. The tribe was…

SC00172.jpg
Veterans Memorial Park, located at 110 East Seminole Boulevard in Sanford, Florida, in 2011. The park was built in 1925 and included a bandshell. A flagpole and fountain were dedicated in memory of World War I veterans in 1927. The park was renamed…

SC00179.jpg
The Riverfront in Sanford, Florida. 2011. The present-day Sanford, Florida, area was originally inhabited by the Mayaca and Joroco tribes by the time Europeans arrived. The tribe was decimated by war and disease by 1760 and was replaced by the…

SC00166.jpg
Newspaper article about the last barge docked on the Standard Oil Terminal along Lake Monroe in Sanford, Florida. The terminal opened in 1931 and closed in 1969.

The present-day Sanford, Florida, area was originally inhabited by the Mayaca and…

SC00164.jpg
Downtown Sanford in the late 1950s or early 1960s. The present-day Sanford, Florida, area was originally inhabited by the Mayaca and Joroco tribes by the time Europeans arrived. The tribe was decimated by war and disease by 1760 and was replaced by…

SC00163.jpg
Downtown Sanford, Florida, in 1952. The present-day Sanford, Florida, area was originally inhabited by the Mayaca and Joroco tribes by the time Europeans arrived. The tribe was decimated by war and disease by 1760 and was replaced by the Seminole…

SC00161.jpg
The City of Stanford in the 1890s, after the Great Fire of 1887. The present-day Sanford, Florida, area was originally inhabited by the Mayaca and Joroco tribes by the time Europeans arrived. The tribe was decimated by war and disease by 1760 and was…

SC00160.jpg
The docks at Palmetto Avenue in Sanford, Florida, in 1882. Sanford's telegraph office and Henry Shelton Sanford's company store are located at the base of Palmetto Avenue. Henry Shelton Sanford (1823-1891) was an American diplomat, lawyer, and…

SC00159.jpg
The City of Sanford riverfront in the 1880s, just before the Great Fire of 1887. The present-day Sanford, Florida, area was originally inhabited by the Mayaca and Joroco tribes by the time Europeans arrived. The tribe was decimated by war and disease…

SC00158.jpg
The Veterans Memorial Park bandshell on Lake Monroe during the 1950s. Veterans Memorial Park, located at 110 East Seminole Boulevard in Sanford, Florida, was built in 1925 and included a bandshell. A flagpole and fountain were dedicated in memory of…

TCC00118.jpg
Lake Lucerne in Downtown Orlando, Florida, 2001. Lake Lucerne is one of two primary lakes connected with the earliest days of the City of Orlando. Along with Lake Eola, it defined one of the natural borders of the young town in the 1860s and 1870s.…

TCC00115.jpg
Lake Eola Park in Downtown Orlando, Florida, 2007. Lake Eola and its surrounding park is one of the unusual features that sets Orlando apart from other cities. In the middle of the lake rests the Linton E. Allen Memorial Fountain, Orlando's…

TCC00110.jpg
The former Harley Hotel building, located at 151 East Washington Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2003. Lake Eola and the Linton E. Allen Memorial Fountain can be seen in the distance.

The site was originally occupied by Memorial High…

TCC00103.jpg
Sperry Fountain at Lake Eola Park Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2001. The fountain was named in honor of Frank Ezra Sperry (1843-1916), Mayor of Orlando from 1914 to 1916. Born in Bethany, Connecticut, Sperry was a graduate of the Fort Edward…

TCC00100.jpg
A wakeboard ramp on Lake Eola Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2007. Lake Eola and its surrounding park is one of the unusual features that sets Orlando apart from other cities. In the middle of the lake rests the Linton E. Allen Memorial Fountain,…

TCC00007.jpg
The Downtown Orlando skyline, with Lake Eola in the distance, in 2002. The Orlando area was originally occupied by the Creek and Seminole tribes. In 1838, Fort Gatlin was erected on the shores of Lake Gatlin, just a few miles south of present-day…