Browse Items (11 total)

  • Tags: historic marker

TCC00129.jpg
The Blue Star Memorial Highway historic marker, located on Conway Road near Lake Margaret Road in Conway in Orlando, Florida, in 2003. Blue Star Memorial Highways are marked to pay homage to the United States Armed Forces. The National Garden Clubs,…

TCC00103.jpg
Sperry Fountain at Lake Eola Park Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2001. The fountain was named in honor of Frank Ezra Sperry (1843-1916), Mayor of Orlando from 1914 to 1916. Born in Bethany, Connecticut, Sperry was a graduate of the Fort Edward…

TCC00124.jpg
Dr. J. B. Callahan Neighborhood Center, located at 101 North Parramore Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2003. From 1921 to 1922, a school for African-American children was constructed in Parramore and named after L. C. Jones, the third…

TCC00085.jpg
The historic marker for Council Oak, located on South Ferncreek Avenue in Orlando, Florida, in 2002. This two-and-a-half-foot concrete marker with a brass plaque designates the traditional meeting place of the Native American chiefs during the Second…

LC00003.jpg
The historic marker for Lady Liberty at Seminole Big Tree Park in 2006. The "companion tree" for The Senator. Lady Liberty is 89 feet high, 10 feet in diameter, and approximately 2,000 years old.

Big Tree Park is located at 761 General Hutchinson…

SC00273.jpg
The Hopper Academy was the first African-American school in the Georgetown district of Sanford. Established in 1886, the school was originally named Colored School No. 11. In 1906, Joseph Nathaniel Crooms became the first principal of the Hopper…

SC00272.jpg
Seminole County Historic Marker about the community of Georgetown in Sanford, Florida. Henry Shelton Sanford established Georgetown in the 1870s as a community for migrating African Americans to settle. Georgetown became a self-sustaining community…