Browse Items (143 total)

  • Tags: Cook, Thomas

TC00069.jpg
The LizArt Live! auction at Orlando City Hall, located at 400 South Orange Avenue, in Downtown Orlando, Florida 2002. The statues range between 5 feet and six inches in height to seven feet and six inches in length. The lizard statues were originally…

TC00084.jpg
The United States Post Office and Federal Courthouse at 42-44 East Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2007. The building was constructed in a Spanish Colonial Revival style from 1939 to 1941 and dedicated on April 14, 1941. It has…

TC00083.jpg
The United States Post Office and Federal Courthouse at 42-44 East Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2003. The building was constructed in a Spanish Colonial Revival style from 1939 to 1941 and dedicated on April 14, 1941. It has…

TC00082.jpg
The United States Post Office and Federal Courthouse at 42-44 East Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2002. The building was constructed in a Spanish Colonial Revival style from 1939 to 1941 and dedicated on April 14, 1941. It has…

TC00081.jpg
The United States Post Office and Federal Courthouse at 42-44 East Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2001. The building was constructed in a Spanish Colonial Revival style from 1939 to 1941 and dedicated on April 14, 1941. It has…

TC00067.jpg
The Orange County Courthouse, located at 425 North Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2003. In 1857, B. F. Caldwell donated four acres of land at the northeast corner of Central Boulevard and Main Street (present-day Magnolia Avenue) for…

TCC00066.jpg
The City of Orlando Fire Station No. 1, located at the corner of North Magnolia Avenue and Wall Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2004. Inspired by a fire in 1883, Orlando's first volunteer fire department was established by William C. Sherman,…

TCC00152.jpg
Robinson Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida in 2007. The Orlando area was originally occupied by the Creek and Seminole tribes. In 1838, Fort Gatlin was erected on the shores of Lake Gatlin, just a few miles south of present-day Downtown Orlando.…

TCC00149.jpg
Construction at the Orange Avenue Plaza Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2007. The Orlando area was originally occupied by the Creek and Seminole tribes. In 1838, Fort Gatlin was erected on the shores of Lake Gatlin, just a few miles south of…

TCC00147.jpg
The holiday star located at the intersection of Central Boulevard and Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2007. The holiday star tradition was started in 1955 by two department stores: Ivey's and Dickson & Ives. The stores hung a large…

TCC00145.jpg
The holiday star located at the intersection of Central Boulevard and Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2003. The holiday star tradition was started in 1955 by two department stores: Ivey's and Dickson & Ives. The stores hung a large…

TCC00142.jpg
The intersection of Orange Avenue and Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando in 2001, Florida. The SunTrust Center can be seen on the left and a Lynx bus stop can be seen on the right.

The Orlando area was originally occupied by the Creek and…

TCC00139.jpg
The Lynx Central Station, located at 455 North Garland Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, during renovations in 2004. The former bus station was located at 78 West Central Boulevard, which is the site of City of Orlando Fire Station No. 1 as of…

TCC00134.jpg
North Court Avenue at East Washington Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2003. The Orlando area was originally occupied by the Creek and Seminole tribes. In 1838, Fort Gatlin was erected on the shores of Lake Gatlin, just a few miles south of…

TCC00133.jpg
The Orange Blossom Special, the last train at the Church Street Station, located at 76-135 West Church Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2001. The original site was occupied by a railroad depot built around 1883 for the Atlantic Coast Line…

TCC00132.jpg
The Orange Blossom Special, the last train at the Church Street Station, located at 76-135 West Church Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2001. The original site was occupied by a railroad depot built around 1883 for the Atlantic Coast Line…

TCC00131.jpg
Church Street Station, located at 76-135 West Church Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2002. The original site was occupied by a railroad depot built around 1883 for the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad Company. The depot was designed by T. B.…

TCC00130.jpg
The Church Street Market Building, located at the corner of West Pine Street and South Garland Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2002. In 1972, entrepreneur Bob Snow made plans to develop an entertainment complex in order to revitalize Downtown…

TCC00129.jpg
The Blue Star Memorial Highway historic marker, located on Conway Road near Lake Margaret Road in Conway in Orlando, Florida, in 2003. Blue Star Memorial Highways are marked to pay homage to the United States Armed Forces. The National Garden Clubs,…

TCC00118.jpg
Lake Lucerne in Downtown Orlando, Florida, 2001. Lake Lucerne is one of two primary lakes connected with the earliest days of the City of Orlando. Along with Lake Eola, it defined one of the natural borders of the young town in the 1860s and 1870s.…

TCC00115.jpg
Lake Eola Park in Downtown Orlando, Florida, 2007. Lake Eola and its surrounding park is one of the unusual features that sets Orlando apart from other cities. In the middle of the lake rests the Linton E. Allen Memorial Fountain, Orlando's…

TCC00110.jpg
The former Harley Hotel building, located at 151 East Washington Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2003. Lake Eola and the Linton E. Allen Memorial Fountain can be seen in the distance.

The site was originally occupied by Memorial High…

TCC00103.jpg
Sperry Fountain at Lake Eola Park Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2001. The fountain was named in honor of Frank Ezra Sperry (1843-1916), Mayor of Orlando from 1914 to 1916. Born in Bethany, Connecticut, Sperry was a graduate of the Fort Edward…

TCC00100.jpg
A wakeboard ramp on Lake Eola Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2007. Lake Eola and its surrounding park is one of the unusual features that sets Orlando apart from other cities. In the middle of the lake rests the Linton E. Allen Memorial Fountain,…

TCC00098.jpg
The Wells' Built Museum of African American History and Culture, located at 511 West South Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2007. The hotel was constructed by one of Orlando's first African-American physicians, Dr. William Monroe Wells, to…

TCC00097.jpg
The former Orlando Hotel building, located at 129-135 West Church Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida,in 2002. The site was originally occupied by the Slemons Department Store.In 1924, the current brick building was constructed by the J. C. Hanner…

TCC00096.jpg
The former Harley Hotel building, located at 151 East Washington Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2007. The site was originally occupied by Memorial High School, the second high school constructed in Orlando.In 1961, the school building was…

TCC00095.jpg
The Angebilt Hotel, located at 37 North Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florda, in 2002. The building was constructed between 1921 and 1923. Plans to build the hotel were announced in June 1921 and construction cost $1 million. Florida's first…

TCC00094.jpg
The Angebilt Hotel, located at 37 North Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florda, in 2002. The building was constructed between 1921 and 1923. Plans to build the hotel were announced in June 1921 and construction cost $1 million. Florida's first…

TCC00093.jpg
55 West, located at 55 West Church Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, during construction in 2007. 55 West is an apartment building that overlooks Church Street Station and stands next to the SunTrust Center. Construction was completed in 2009. 55…

TCC00087.jpg
The Davis National Guard Armory, located at 649 West Livingston Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2003. In September of 1937, the City of Orlando donated land and $80,000 to deter the U.S. National Guard from relocating outside of Orlando. The…

TCC00085.jpg
The historic marker for Council Oak, located on South Ferncreek Avenue in Orlando, Florida, in 2002. This two-and-a-half-foot concrete marker with a brass plaque designates the traditional meeting place of the Native American chiefs during the Second…

TCC00176.jpg
St. James Catholic Cathedral, located at 215 North Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2001. In 1881, Bishop John Moore purchased a block of land bound by Orange Avenue, Magnolia Avenue, Jefferson Street, and Robinson Street. On January…

TCC00167.jpg
Sioux Villa, located at 60 Waverly Place in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2007. In 1906, this two-story bungalow was built for Mahlon Gore on the south shore of Lake Lucerne. Gore was born in Climax, Michigan, on February 4, 1837. In 1861, he…

TCC00162.jpg
The Mount Pleasant Baptist Church of Orlando, located at 701 West South Street, in Downtown Orlando, Florida, 2003. This African-American congregation was organized in 1919 and originally met in various locations. When land was purchased for the…

TCC00161.jpg
The First Presbyterian Church of Orlando, located at 106 East Church Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2003. The building was constructed in 1889 in the Carpenter Gothic style. The church was organized in 1876 with Reverend Henry Keigwinas the…

TCC00160.jpg
The First United Methodist Church (UMC) of Orlando, located at 142 East Jackson Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2003. In 1859, Methodist circuit riders began conducting services in Orlando. Originally called the Methodist Episcopal Church,…

TCC00153.jpg
Ebenezer United Methodist Church (UMC), located at 594-596 West Church Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2003. The earliest structure at this location was a wooden church built in 1872 on Terry Avenue. Ebenezer was the first African-American…

TCC00204.jpg
Powell Cemetery, located at 3858 South Orange Avenue in Orlando, Florida, in 2003. The cemetery is located on land originally owned by Isaac and Sarah Ann Powell. The cemetery is approximately a quarter of an acre and has 32 gravestones, many of…

TCC00199.jpg
Orange Hill Cemetery, located approximately at 1700 East Michigan Street in Orlando, Florida, in 2001. Forty acres of land for the graveyard was purchased by Orange County in 1904 to use for the burial of paupers. The cemetery was active from 1917 to…

TCC00192.jpg
Lake Hill Cemetery, located at 5950 Old Winter Garden Road in Orlando, Florida, in 2001. The cemetery, just west of Orlando, is the site of the remains of various early settlers of the city, including Aaron and Mary Jernigan. Originally called …

TCC00191.jpg
Headstone of Julius "July" Perry (1868-1920) in the Section K of the Greenwood Cemetery, located at 1603 Greenwood Street in Orlando,Florda, in 2002. An African-American landowner in Ocoee, July Perry is best known as a victim of mob violence during…

TCC00190.jpg
Greenwood Cemetery, located at 1603 Greenwood Street in Orlando, Florida, in 2002. The cemetery was established in 1880 and officially named Greenwood Cemetery at the suggestion of Samuel Robinson and Cassius Boone. In 1911, the cemetery was expanded…

TCC00186.jpg
The Conway United Methodist Church Cemetery in 2011. Located at 3401 South Conway Road in Conway in Orlando, Florida, the Conway United Methodist Church (UMC) was formed in 1870 as the Prospect Methodist Episcopal Church, South (MECS). In 1874,…

TCC00183.jpg
Headstone of Joseph A. Barber (1860-1920) at the Conway United Methodist Church Cemetery in 2003. Born on Lake Conway, Barber became the first tax collector for Osceola County in 1890 and served in said position for four years. He also served as a…

TCC00182.jpg
Headstone of David Mizell, Jr. (1808-1884), an early settler on Lake Mizell, at the Conway United Methodist Church Cemetery in 2003. Mizell became the first chairman of the Orange County Commission in 1869 and served until through 1871. He also…

OC00097.jpg
The Tinker Field Stadium, located at 287 South Tampa Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2003. Tinker Field is named after Joseph B. Tinker, who was a shortstop for the Chicago Cubs, manager of the Orlando Tigers, and the first Floridian to be…

OC00087.jpg
The Tinker Building, located at 16-18 West Pine Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2002. After moving to Orlando in 1920, Joseph B. Tinker constructed the Commercial-style in 1925, using glazed brick tiles and terracotta, for his real estate…

OC00086.jpg
The Tinker Building, located at 16-18 West Pine Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2003. After moving to Orlando in 1920, Joseph B. Tinker constructed the Commercial-style in 1925, using glazed brick tiles and terracotta, for his real estate…

OC00085.jpg
The Clark C. Griffith Memorial at Tinker Field, located at 287 South Tampa Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2003. Clark Calvin Griffith (1869-1955), also known as "The Old Fox," was a Major League Baseball pitcher, team manager, and team…

TCC00056.jpg
Woolworth-McCrory Building, located at 101 South Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, during demolition in 2003. Woolworth's was a retail company established by Frank Winfield Woolworth in 1879. McCrory's was a chain of five-and-dime stores…

TCC00053.jpg
The Woolworth-McCrory Building, located at 101 South Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2001. Woolworth's was a retail company established by Frank Winfield Woolworth in 1879. McCrory's was a chain of five-and-dime stores established by…

TCC00052.jpg
Wall Street Plaza, located at 26 Wall Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2001. Wall Street Plaza is a complex of locally-owned bars, restaurants, and nightclubs established in 1995. The plaza originally had just one bar and has grown to include…

TCC00049.jpg
Vivaldi Ristorante, located at 107 West Pine Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2003. Vivaldi is an Italian restaurant named after Antonio Lucio Vivaldi, a Baroque composer, Catholic priest, and violinist in Venice, Italy, during the 18th…

TCC00047.jpg
The Teele Building, located at 123 West Church Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2002. This site was originally occupied by Joseph Bumby's warehouse for hay, grain, and fertilizer. In the late 1880s, W .L. and Silas Dolive operated a packing…

TCC00045.jpg
The Rutland Building, located at 63 North Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2002. The original two-story structure was designed by F. Earl Deloe in the Art Moderne-style for Joseph Rutland's menswear store in 1941. In 1952, three…

TCC00044.jpg
The Orlando SouthTrust Bank, located at 135 West Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2002. In 1887, the SouthTrust Corporation was founded as Birmingham Trust and Savings Company in Birmingham, Alabama. The bank was renamed the…

TCC00036.jpg
The Metcalf Building, located at 101 South Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida. in 2002. The building opened in 1924 and was the third skyscraper in Orlando. A. G. Bentley built the structure for the Orlando Federal Savings and Loan…

TCC00033.jpg
The McEwan Sanitarium, located at 100 East Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2000. The two-story clinic was constructed in 1911 and expanded to three stories around 1920. The building served as the hospital of Dr. John McEwan, who…

TCC00031.jpg
The McCrory Building, located at 101 South Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2001. The Art Moderne-style structure, with parts from an 1888 building, was constructed by the J. G. Stores Corporation in 1942. McCrory operated its store and…

TCC00030.jpg
The entrance of the McCrory Building, located at 101 South Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2002. The Art Moderne-style structure, with parts from an 1888 building, was constructed by the J. G. Stores Corporation in 1942. McCrory…

TCC00028.jpg
The Masonic Temple, located on 205 East Central Boulevard, in Downtown Orlando, Florida, 2002. The building was constructed in the 20th Century Commercial style in 1925 and was dedicated on January 13, 1926. The original owner was the Free and…

TCC00027.jpg
The Kuhl-Delaney Building, located at 69 East Pine Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2002. In 1882, James Delaney opened a grocery store in a wooden building at the corner of Pine Street and Magnolia Avenue. The building caught fire on January…

TCC00026.jpg
The Kuhl-Delaney Building, located at 69 East Pine Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2001. In 1882, James Delaney opened a grocery store in a wooden building at the corner of Pine Street and Magnolia Avenue. The building caught fire on January…

TCC00024.jpg
The Kress Building, located at 15 West Church Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2001. S. H. Kress & Company is a chain of retail department stores founded by Samuel H. Kress in 1896. The building was designed with Art Deco details by Edward…

TCC00020.jpg
The floor plans for the Kress Building, located at 15 West Church Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2001. The plans include marquise, plaster ceilo grilles, and plaster plans. S. H. Kress & Company is a chain of retail department stores…

TCC00018.jpg
The JCPenney Building, located at the corner of Orange Avenue and Jefferson Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2001. James Cash Penney established his company in the early 1900s. The company was incorporated under the name J. C. Penney Company…

TCC00017.jpg
The Hanson Building, located at 27 East Pine Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2002. The building was constructed during 1883-1884 in the nineteenth-century commercial style. In 1894, Andrew Hanson purchased the property for the Hanson Shoe…

TCC00014.jpg
The Sun First National Bank of Orlando, located at 190 South Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2001. In 1911, Seth Woodruff founded the People's National Bank and renamed it the First National Bank in 1920. In 1926, the bank announced…

TCC00013.jpg
The Empire Building, located at 13 West Pine Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2001. The building was occupied by the Orlando Telephone Company in the late 1890s. The Empire Block, as it was also known, was occupied by other tenants, such as…

TCC00012.jpg
The Empire Building, located at 13 West Pine Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2001. The building was occupied by the Orlando Telephone Company in the late 1890s. The Empire Block, as it was also known, was occupied by other tenants, such as…

TCC00010.jpg
The Elijah Hand Building, located at 13-25 West Pine Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2002. The site, formerly occupied by the Magnolia Hotel, was purchased by Elijah Hand in 1905. Hand migrated to Orlando from Shelbyville, Indiana, in 1885…

TCC00007.jpg
The Downtown Orlando skyline, with Lake Eola in the distance, in 2002. The Orlando area was originally occupied by the Creek and Seminole tribes. In 1838, Fort Gatlin was erected on the shores of Lake Gatlin, just a few miles south of present-day…

TCC00006.jpg
The Dolive Building, located at 110-114 North Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2003. The original stucco structure was built around 1918 by Silas Dolive with twentieth century-style and some Spanish colonial elements. Dolive relocated…

TCC00005.jpg
The Dolive Building, located at 110-114 North Orange Avenue in Orlando, in 2002. The original stucco structure was built around 1918 by Silas Dolive with twentieth century-style and some Spanish colonial elements. Dolive relocated to Orlando in 1886…

TCC00003.jpg
The Dickson & Ives Building, located at 214 South Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2001. In the 1880s, H. H. Dickson and Sidney Ives, Sr. arrived in Orlando and opened mercantile establishments independently of one another. The two…

TCC00001.jpg
The Bumby Hardware Building, located at 102-110 West Church Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida,in 2001. Originally from England, Joseph Bumby, Sr. relocated to Orlando and built a large, Late Victorian Commercial-style building across the street…

OC00069.jpg
The Dr. Phillips Theater, located at 23-29 South Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2002. In 1916, Dr. P. Phillips hired Murray S. King to design his theater on the northeast corner of Orange Avenue and Pine Street. In July of 1917, Dr.…

OC00068.jpg
The Beacham, located at 46 North Orange Avenue, in 2001. The was originally built as a jail for Orange County in 1884. Braxton Beacham Sr. bought the building in 1917 and opened it as the Beacham Theatre in 1921. As of 2013, The Beacham operates as a…

OC00052.pdf
Postcard showing the First Methodist Episcopal Church of Orlando, formerly located at 142 East Jackson Street. The building was constructed in 1913 in Greek Classical Revival style with yellow brick. The building cost $50,000 to construct. The…

OC00051.pdf
Postcard showing the First Baptist Church of Orlando, formerly located at 100 East Pine Street. The building was constructed in 1915 and designed by J. E. Greene in the Greek Revival Style. The building was demolished circa 1955 and the site is…

OC00050.pdf
Postcard showing the Dickson-Azalea Park, owned by the City of Orlando. The park is located south of Robinson Street, north of Central Boulevard, and west of Rosearden Drive. Fern Creek runs through the park, which drains into Mayor Carl T. Langford…

OC00049.pdf
Postcard showing the Angebilt Hotel, located at 37 North Orange Avenue, was constructed between 1921 and 1923. Plans to build the hotel were announced in June of 1921 and construction cost $1 million. Florida's first registered architect, Murray S.…

LC00003.jpg
The historic marker for Lady Liberty at Seminole Big Tree Park in 2006. The "companion tree" for The Senator. Lady Liberty is 89 feet high, 10 feet in diameter, and approximately 2,000 years old.

Big Tree Park is located at 761 General Hutchinson…

LC00004.jpg
Lady Liberty at Seminole Big Tree Park in 2006. The "companion tree" for The Senator. Lady Liberty is 89 feet high, 10 feet in diameter, and approximately 2,000 years old.

Big Tree Park is located at 761 General Hutchinson Parkway in Longwood,…