Browse Items (24 total)

  • Tags: post office

MN00038.pdf
The Maitland News was a local newspaper originally published by the Maitland Realty Company (and later by the Maitland News Company) which began circulation in April 1926. This edition features articles on topics such as an attempted robbery at the…

Tags: ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;

OR00122.jpg
In 1922, the letter carrier’s badge was redesigned. The new badge was solid, of nickel-plated metal, elliptical in shape, and topped with a 1/2 inch tall eagle with wings spread two inches wide. The numbers, raised in the center of the badge, were…

OR00127.jpg
A postage stamp issued in 1947. Claude Pepper (1900-1989), then U.S. Senator from Florida, wrote Postmaster General Hannegan on July 9, 1947, to petition for a postage stamp to commemorate the dedication of the Everglades National Park. The…

OR00126.jpg
A notary/corporate postmark used to officially apply to a piece of mail as it passes through the mailstream. It includes town data and was part of a process where postal workers would stamp markings indicating routing, directory service, postage due,…

OR00113.jpg
This a notary/corporate postmark used to officially apply to a piece of mail as it passes through the mailstream. It includes town data (Orlando) and was part of a process where postal workers would stamp markings indicating routing, directory…

OR00112.jpg
This is a handstamp postmark that was used to mark postage stamp to prevent reuse. Prior to the advent of stamps to prepay postage, such markings only served to provide information to postal clerks as they handled the stampless envelope. After stamps…

OR00111.jpg
This is a neighborhood mailbox padlock from the post-World War II period. Its case and shackle are made of brass, opened by key, and uses a five-lever lock. It was a type of lock distributed by the U.S. Post Office Department to residents of Orlando…

OR00109.JPG
The former building for the Downtown Orlando Post Office, located at 44 East Central Boulevard in Downtown, Orlando, Florida. From 1917 to 1941, the Orlando post office was housed in a building on the corner of Central Boulevard and Court Avenue and…

OR00108.jpg
A traditional mail satchel worn by mail carriers to deliver their packages. The one shown in the picture was one of the series of leather satchels that were manufactured and used from 1868 until 1974, when they were phased out by the canvas satchels…

OR00102.jpg
This is a replica of a mail satchel cart used to transport multiple satchels of mail to ease the burden upon the mail carrier. The use of satchel carts is very situational and used in instances where the postal vehicle would be unable to reach a…

OR00100.jpg
The classic and distinguished hat that was a part of the attire worn by both postmen and mail truck drivers. The iconic badge of the U.S. Post Office adorns the face of the hat to identify postmen as federal employees and also to signify the role…

OR00092.JPG
The new Downtown Orlando Post Office building, located at 51 East Jefferson Street, circa 1941. In 1935, when James Beggs, Jr. became the postmaster, he began petitioning to move the post office from its Central Boulevard and Court Avenue location to…

OR00091.jpg
A receipt for a PO box for R. C. M. Zachary with the box number that he paid for, listed along with the dates of purchase and when the rent for the PO box expires. In addition, the receipt shows the exact amount of $4.52 that Zachary paid along with…

SC00807.JPG
Lot located at 123 South Sanford Avenue in the Georgetown, an historic African-American neighborhood in Sanford, Florida. The earliest known occupant of this lot was George Latham, an African-American resident, in 1911. Lydia Goodwin, another African…

SC00806.JPG
The lot located at 119 South Sanford Avenue in Georgetown, an historic African-American neighborhood in Sanford, Florida. The earliest known occupant of this lot was Stafford Service Station Fill Station in 1947. In 1952, Ed & Jeff's Amoco…

RPD00003.pdf
Episode 3 of RICHES Podcast Documentaries: Serving the Community: The New Deal Post Office of Cocoa Florida. RICHES Podcast Documentaries are short form narrative documentaries that explore Central Florida history and are locally produced. These…

TC00084.jpg
The United States Post Office and Federal Courthouse at 42-44 East Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2007. The building was constructed in a Spanish Colonial Revival style from 1939 to 1941 and dedicated on April 14, 1941. It has…

TC00083.jpg
The United States Post Office and Federal Courthouse at 42-44 East Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2003. The building was constructed in a Spanish Colonial Revival style from 1939 to 1941 and dedicated on April 14, 1941. It has…

TC00082.jpg
The United States Post Office and Federal Courthouse at 42-44 East Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2002. The building was constructed in a Spanish Colonial Revival style from 1939 to 1941 and dedicated on April 14, 1941. It has…

TC00081.jpg
The United States Post Office and Federal Courthouse at 42-44 East Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2001. The building was constructed in a Spanish Colonial Revival style from 1939 to 1941 and dedicated on April 14, 1941. It has…

OC00058.pdf
Postcard showing the United States Post Office and Federal Courthouse at 42-44 East Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando, Florida. The building was constructed in a Spanish Colonial Revival style from 1939 to 1941 and dedicated on April 14, 1941. It…

OC00048.pdf
Postcard showing the United States Post Office and Federal Courthouse at 42-44 East Central Boulevard in Orlando, Florida. The building was constructed in a Spanish Colonial Revival style from 1939 to 1941 and dedicated on April 14, 1941. It has been…