Browse Items (15 total)

  • Tags: USPS

OR00289.jpg
A routing slip from R. Van Camp, manager of the Downtown Orlando Post Office. In the rout slip, Van Camp discusses office assistance of city routes. The content of the routing slip provides the guidelines for office assistance to the city routes.The…

OR00288.jpg
Frank Marcum Sommerkamp III (ca. 1924-2008), the Regional Postmaster General of the Southern District during the Gerald Ford Administration. Born in Washington, Sommerkamp served in the U.S. Army Air Force during World War II, earning the…

OR00287.jpg
A letter from A. B. Cleveland, District Manager for the U.S. Postal Service (USPS). to all Sectional Center Managers of the Tampa District. Cleveland enclosed a photograph of Regional Postmaster General Frank Marcum Sommerkamp III (ca. 1924-2008) for…

OR00285.pdf
A letter from Jim Macbeth, the Chief of the Florida Bureau of Historical Museums, to A. B. Cleveland, Tampa District Manager for the U.S. Postal Service (USPS). In the letter, Macbeth requests any obsolete artifacts relating to USPS. In particular,…

OR00284.jpg
A letter from Tampa District Manager A. B. Cleveland to all Sectional Center Managers of the Tampa District. In the letter requests any obsolete artifacts from the U.S. Postal Service (USPS), to be donated to the Florida Bureau of Historical Museums.…

OR00283.jpg
A letter from Orlando Postmaster Lucius A. Bryant, Jr. (ca. 1919-2012) to H. V. Campbell, the manager of the Tampa district. The letter is regarding a memorandum from November 3, 1973, that requests any obsolete artifacts from the U.S. Postal Service…

HH00538.jpg
A newspaper article published in The Oviedo Voice on January 2, 2003. The article announces the return of the county and municipal government to their normal schedules for trash collection, recyclable collection, the school system, and mail delivery.

OR00136.jpg
Created in 1889, the St. James School was originally a foundation for the former St. Joseph's Academy. However, after the Academy closed in 1929, the introduction of the Cathedral school began and it has continued the traditions of St. Joseph's by…

OR00135.JPG
From this view of the Historic Post Office building, a giant crucifix is visible. This represents the area occupied by the Chancery center for the Diocese of Orlando. In 2001, Bishop Norbert Dorsey bought most of the building, which is on land the…

OR00134.jpg
A replica of a 1931 Ford Model A mail truck. During the 20th century, the U.S. Post Office Department began to increasingly rely on automobiles for the rapid and effective delivery of mail. First used in rural areas, mail trucks began to see…

OR00130.jpg
An envelope sent from A. Dellinger to Elaine Pancake, the customer relations coordinator for the Downtown Orlando Post Office, located at 51 East Jefferson Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida. This particular post office was constructed in a Spanish…

OR00116.jpg
An envelope from J. Huang to Elaine Pancake, the customer relations coordinator for the Downtown Orlando Post Office, located at 51 East Jefferson Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida. This particular post office was constructed in a Spanish Colonial…

OR00108.jpg
A traditional mail satchel worn by mail carriers to deliver their packages. The one shown in the picture was one of the series of leather satchels that were manufactured and used from 1868 until 1974, when they were phased out by the canvas satchels…

OR00102.jpg
This is a replica of a mail satchel cart used to transport multiple satchels of mail to ease the burden upon the mail carrier. The use of satchel carts is very situational and used in instances where the postal vehicle would be unable to reach a…

OR00100.jpg
The classic and distinguished hat that was a part of the attire worn by both postmen and mail truck drivers. The iconic badge of the U.S. Post Office adorns the face of the hat to identify postmen as federal employees and also to signify the role…