First Presbyterian Church of Orlando, 2003

Dublin Core

Title

First Presbyterian Church of Orlando, 2003

Alternative Title

First Presbyterian Church of Orlando

Subject

Orlando (Fla.)
Buildings--Florida
Churches--Florida
Presbyterian Church--Florida
Presbyterianism--History
Presbyterians--Southern States--History

Description

The First Presbyterian Church of Orlando, located at 106 East Church Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2003. The building was constructed in 1889 in the Carpenter Gothic style. The church was organized in 1876 with Reverend Henry Keigwinas the first pastor. It first congregated in the Union Free Church, as well as a room in the local courthouse. From 1884 to 1887, the congregation met in a church on West Central Avenue. When that church was lost in a fire, they chose to move to the east side of town. The church purchased the property bounded by Church Street, Jackson Street, Magnolia Avenue, and Rosalind Avenue in 1889 and still remains there as of 2011.

In 1902, the Congregational Church of Orlando merged with the First Presbyterian Church. In 1912, the sanctuary was enlarged to seat 1,000 congregants. A second tower was added at that time as well. In 1914-1915, a major renovation was undertaken that completely changed the look of the building. The congregation added stained glass windows and the church was covered with stucco. It was changed from a traditional Gothic style to the newer Spanish Colonial style with white stucco, curved arches instead of Gothic, pointed features. The original peaked roofs were hidden with the use of curvilinear elements. The stained glass windows, which were designed and made by the Jacoby Art Glass Company of St. Louis, Missouri, were preserved after the building was demolished in 1958 and are stored in the Heritage Center at the church and in the Meditation Room at Westminster Towers. Murray S. King served as the remodeling architect, while Frank Meyers was the contractor.

Creator

Cook, Thomas

Source

Original color image by Thomas Cook, 2003: Private Collection of Thomas Cook.

Date Created

2003

Contributor

Cook, Thomas

Is Part Of

Thomas Cook Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.

Format

image/jpg

Extent

145 KB

Medium

1 color digital image

Language

eng

Type

Still Image

Coverage

First Presbyterian Church, Orlando, Florida

Accrual Method

Donation

Mediator

History Teacher
Geography Teacher
Humanities Teacher
Visual Arts Teacher

Provenance

Originally created by Thomas Cook and published by RICHES of Central Florida.

Rights Holder

Copyright to this resource is held by Thomas Cook and is provided here by RICHES of Central Florida for educational purposes only.

Curator

Cepero, Laura

Digital Collection

Source Repository

Private Collection of Thomas Cook

External Reference

"First Presbyterian Church of Orlando." First Presbyterian Church of Orlando. http://fpco.org/history.
Rajtar, Steve. A Guide to Historic Orlando. Charleston, SC: History Press, 2006.
Antequino, Stephanie Gaub, and Tana Mosier Porter. Lost Orlando. Charleston, S.C.: Arcadia Pub, 2012.

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

1 color digital image

Locations

Categories