Thomas Cook Collection

Selected Items in the Thomas Cook Collection (more...)

Map this Collection in RICHES

LizArt Live! Auction at Orlando City Hall
The LizArt Live! auction at Orlando City Hall, located at 400 South Orange Avenue, in Downtown Orlando, Florida 2002. The statues range between 5 feet and six inches in height to seven feet and six inches in length. The lizard statues were originally…

Orlando Post Office and Federal Courthouse, 2007
The United States Post Office and Federal Courthouse at 42-44 East Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2007. The building was constructed in a Spanish Colonial Revival style from 1939 to 1941 and dedicated on April 14, 1941. It has…

Orlando Post Office and Federal Courthouse, 2003
The United States Post Office and Federal Courthouse at 42-44 East Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2003. The building was constructed in a Spanish Colonial Revival style from 1939 to 1941 and dedicated on April 14, 1941. It has…

Orlando Post Office and Federal Courthouse, 2002
The United States Post Office and Federal Courthouse at 42-44 East Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2002. The building was constructed in a Spanish Colonial Revival style from 1939 to 1941 and dedicated on April 14, 1941. It has…

Orlando Post Office and Federal Courthouse, 2001
The United States Post Office and Federal Courthouse at 42-44 East Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2001. The building was constructed in a Spanish Colonial Revival style from 1939 to 1941 and dedicated on April 14, 1941. It has…

Orange County Courthouse, 2003
The Orange County Courthouse, located at 425 North Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2003. In 1857, B. F. Caldwell donated four acres of land at the northeast corner of Central Boulevard and Main Street (present-day Magnolia Avenue) for…

City of Orlando Fire Station No. 1, 2004
The City of Orlando Fire Station No. 1, located at the corner of North Magnolia Avenue and Wall Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2004. Inspired by a fire in 1883, Orlando's first volunteer fire department was established by William C. Sherman,…

Rooftop View of Robinson Street, 2007
Robinson Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida in 2007. The Orlando area was originally occupied by the Creek and Seminole tribes. In 1838, Fort Gatlin was erected on the shores of Lake Gatlin, just a few miles south of present-day Downtown Orlando.…

Orange Avenue Plaza Construction
Construction at the Orange Avenue Plaza Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2007. The Orlando area was originally occupied by the Creek and Seminole tribes. In 1838, Fort Gatlin was erected on the shores of Lake Gatlin, just a few miles south of…

Orange Avenue Holiday Star, 2007
The holiday star located at the intersection of Central Boulevard and Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2007. The holiday star tradition was started in 1955 by two department stores: Ivey's and Dickson & Ives. The stores hung a large…

Orange Avenue Holiday Star, 2003
The holiday star located at the intersection of Central Boulevard and Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2003. The holiday star tradition was started in 1955 by two department stores: Ivey's and Dickson & Ives. The stores hung a large…

Orange Avenue and Central Boulevard, 2001
The intersection of Orange Avenue and Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando in 2001, Florida. The SunTrust Center can be seen on the left and a Lynx bus stop can be seen on the right.

The Orlando area was originally occupied by the Creek and…

Lynx Central Station in Orlando
The Lynx Central Station, located at 455 North Garland Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, during renovations in 2004. The former bus station was located at 78 West Central Boulevard, which is the site of City of Orlando Fire Station No. 1 as of…

Court Avenue, 2003
North Court Avenue at East Washington Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2003. The Orlando area was originally occupied by the Creek and Seminole tribes. In 1838, Fort Gatlin was erected on the shores of Lake Gatlin, just a few miles south of…

The Orange Blossom Special, 2002
The Orange Blossom Special, the last train at the Church Street Station, located at 76-135 West Church Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2001. The original site was occupied by a railroad depot built around 1883 for the Atlantic Coast Line…

The Orange Blossom Special, 2001
The Orange Blossom Special, the last train at the Church Street Station, located at 76-135 West Church Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2001. The original site was occupied by a railroad depot built around 1883 for the Atlantic Coast Line…

Church Street Station, 2002
Church Street Station, located at 76-135 West Church Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2002. The original site was occupied by a railroad depot built around 1883 for the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad Company. The depot was designed by T. B.…

Church Street Market, 2002
The Church Street Market Building, located at the corner of West Pine Street and South Garland Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2002. In 1972, entrepreneur Bob Snow made plans to develop an entertainment complex in order to revitalize Downtown…

Blue Star Memorial Highway Historic Marker, 2003
The Blue Star Memorial Highway historic marker, located on Conway Road near Lake Margaret Road in Conway in Orlando, Florida, in 2003. Blue Star Memorial Highways are marked to pay homage to the United States Armed Forces. The National Garden Clubs,…

Lake Lucerne, 2001
Lake Lucerne in Downtown Orlando, Florida, 2001. Lake Lucerne is one of two primary lakes connected with the earliest days of the City of Orlando. Along with Lake Eola, it defined one of the natural borders of the young town in the 1860s and 1870s.…

Lake Eola Park, 2007
Lake Eola Park in Downtown Orlando, Florida, 2007. Lake Eola and its surrounding park is one of the unusual features that sets Orlando apart from other cities. In the middle of the lake rests the Linton E. Allen Memorial Fountain, Orlando's…

Harley Hotel Building, 2003
The former Harley Hotel building, located at 151 East Washington Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2003. Lake Eola and the Linton E. Allen Memorial Fountain can be seen in the distance.

The site was originally occupied by Memorial High…

Lake Eola Park, 2001
Lake Eola Park in Downtown Orlando, Florida, 2001. Lake Eola and its surrounding park is one of the unusual features that sets Orlando apart from other cities. In the middle of the lake rests the Linton E. Allen Memorial Fountain, Orlando's…

Sperry Fountain at Lake Eola Park, 2011
Sperry Fountain at Lake Eola Park Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2001. The fountain was named in honor of Frank Ezra Sperry (1843-1916), Mayor of Orlando from 1914 to 1916. Born in Bethany, Connecticut, Sperry was a graduate of the Fort Edward…

Wakeboarding on Lake Eola, 2007
A wakeboard ramp on Lake Eola Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2007. Lake Eola and its surrounding park is one of the unusual features that sets Orlando apart from other cities. In the middle of the lake rests the Linton E. Allen Memorial Fountain,…

Dr. J. B. Callahan Neighborhood Center, 2003
Dr. J. B. Callahan Neighborhood Center, located at 101 North Parramore Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2003. From 1921 to 1922, a school for African-American children was constructed in Parramore and named after L. C. Jones, the third…

Dr. J. B. Callahan Neighborhood Center Historic Marker, 2003
The historic marker for the Dr. J. B. Callahan Neighborhood Center, located at 101 North Parramore Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2003. From 1921 to 1922, a school for African-American children was constructed in Parramore and named after…

Wells' Built Museum of African American History and Culture, 2007
The Wells' Built Museum of African American History and Culture, located at 511 West South Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2007. The hotel was constructed by one of Orlando's first African-American physicians, Dr. William Monroe Wells, to…

Former Orlando Hotel Building, 2002
The former Orlando Hotel building, located at 129-135 West Church Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida,in 2002. The site was originally occupied by the Slemons Department Store.In 1924, the current brick building was constructed by the J. C. Hanner…

Harley Hotel Building, 2007
The former Harley Hotel building, located at 151 East Washington Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2007. The site was originally occupied by Memorial High School, the second high school constructed in Orlando.In 1961, the school building was…

Angebilt Hotel, 2003
The Angebilt Hotel, located at 37 North Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florda, in 2002. The building was constructed between 1921 and 1923. Plans to build the hotel were announced in June 1921 and construction cost $1 million. Florida's first…

Angebilt Hotel, 2002
The Angebilt Hotel, located at 37 North Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florda, in 2002. The building was constructed between 1921 and 1923. Plans to build the hotel were announced in June 1921 and construction cost $1 million. Florida's first…

Construction at 55 West, 2007
55 West, located at 55 West Church Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, during construction in 2007. 55 West is an apartment building that overlooks Church Street Station and stands next to the SunTrust Center. Construction was completed in 2009. 55…

Fort Gatlin Historic Marker Sign, 2004
The Fort Gatlin Historic Marker, located near the corner of Summerlin Avenue and Gatlin Avenue in Orlando, Florida, in 2004. Fort Gatlin was a U.S. Army fort established during the Second Seminole Indian War (1835-1842) on November 9, 1838, in…

Fort Gatlin Historic Marker, 2004
The Fort Gatlin Historic Marker, located near the corner of Summerlin Avenue and Gatlin Avenue in Orlando, Florida, in 2004. Fort Gatlin was a U.S. Army fort established during the Second Seminole Indian War (1835-1842) on November 9, 1838, in…

Davis National Guard Armory, 2003
The Davis National Guard Armory, located at 649 West Livingston Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2003. In September of 1937, the City of Orlando donated land and $80,000 to deter the U.S. National Guard from relocating outside of Orlando. The…

Council Oak Historic Marker, 2002
The historic marker for Council Oak, located on South Ferncreek Avenue in Orlando, Florida, in 2002. This two-and-a-half-foot concrete marker with a brass plaque designates the traditional meeting place of the Native American chiefs during the Second…

St. James Catholic Cathedral, 2001
St. James Catholic Cathedral, located at 215 North Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2001. In 1881, Bishop John Moore purchased a block of land bound by Orange Avenue, Magnolia Avenue, Jefferson Street, and Robinson Street. On January…

Sioux Villa, 2007
Sioux Villa, located at 60 Waverly Place in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2007. In 1906, this two-story bungalow was built for Mahlon Gore on the south shore of Lake Lucerne. Gore was born in Climax, Michigan, on February 4, 1837. In 1861, he…

Mount Pleasant Baptist Church of Orlando
The Mount Pleasant Baptist Church of Orlando, located at 701 West South Street, in Downtown Orlando, Florida, 2003. This African-American congregation was organized in 1919 and originally met in various locations. When land was purchased for the…

First Presbyterian Church of Orlando, 2003
The First Presbyterian Church of Orlando, located at 106 East Church Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2003. The building was constructed in 1889 in the Carpenter Gothic style. The church was organized in 1876 with Reverend Henry Keigwinas the…

First United Methodist Church of Orlando, 2003
The First United Methodist Church (UMC) of Orlando, located at 142 East Jackson Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2003. In 1859, Methodist circuit riders began conducting services in Orlando. Originally called the Methodist Episcopal Church,…

Ebenezer United Methodist Church, 2003
Ebenezer United Methodist Church (UMC), located at 594-596 West Church Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2003. The earliest structure at this location was a wooden church built in 1872 on Terry Avenue. Ebenezer was the first African-American…

Powell Cemetery, 2003
Powell Cemetery, located at 3858 South Orange Avenue in Orlando, Florida, in 2003. The cemetery is located on land originally owned by Isaac and Sarah Ann Powell. The cemetery is approximately a quarter of an acre and has 32 gravestones, many of…

Orange Hill Cemetery, 2001
Orange Hill Cemetery, located approximately at 1700 East Michigan Street in Orlando, Florida, in 2001. Forty acres of land for the graveyard was purchased by Orange County in 1904 to use for the burial of paupers. The cemetery was active from 1917 to…

Headstone for John Bonnelll Ivey at Lake Hill Cemetery
Headstone of John Bonnell Ivey (1834-1923) at Lake Hill Cemetery, located at 5950 Old Winter Garden Road in Orlo Vista in Orlando, Florida, in 2001. Ivey was the son of Robert Ivey and Priscilla Bonnell Ivey. He married Elizabeth Matilda Ann Roberson…

Headstone for Aaron David Jernigan at Lake Hill Cemetery
The headstone of Aaron David Jernigan (1813- 1891) at Lake Hill Cemetery, located at 5950 Old Winter Garden Road in Orlando, Florida, in 2001. He was born to Aaron Jernigan and Martha Patsey Deas Jernigan in Camden County, Georgia. The Jernigans are…

Lake Hill Cemetery, 2001
Lake Hill Cemetery, located at 5950 Old Winter Garden Road in Orlando, Florida, in 2001. The cemetery, just west of Orlando, is the site of the remains of various early settlers of the city, including Aaron and Mary Jernigan. Originally called …

Headstone for July Perry at Greenwood Cemetery
Headstone of Julius "July" Perry (1868-1920) in the Section K of the Greenwood Cemetery, located at 1603 Greenwood Street in Orlando,Florda, in 2002. An African-American landowner in Ocoee, July Perry is best known as a victim of mob violence during…

Greenwood Cemetery, 2002
Greenwood Cemetery, located at 1603 Greenwood Street in Orlando, Florida, in 2002. The cemetery was established in 1880 and officially named Greenwood Cemetery at the suggestion of Samuel Robinson and Cassius Boone. In 1911, the cemetery was expanded…

Headstone for George White Crawford at Conway United Methodist Church Cemetery
Headstone of George White Crawford at the Conway United Methodist Church Cemetery in 2003. Crawford arrived in Orlando, Florida, from Tennessee in 1873. During the Civil War, he served as second lieutenant of the 5th Tennessee Infantry for the…

Headstone for William Harrison Holden, Nancy A. Mizell Holden, and Florence C. Holden at Conway United Methodist Church Cemetery
Headstone of William Harrison Holden (1826-1913), Nancy A. Mizell Holden (1836-1902), and Florence C. Holden (1876-1903) at the Conway United Methodist Church Cemetery in 2003. William Harrison Holden arrived in Orlando from Virginia in 1865, after…

Conway United Methodist Church Cemetery, 2011
The Conway United Methodist Church Cemetery in 2011. Located at 3401 South Conway Road in Conway in Orlando, Florida, the Conway United Methodist Church (UMC) was formed in 1870 as the Prospect Methodist Episcopal Church, South (MECS). In 1874,…

Headstone for Sarah Crawford Cullen at Conway United Methodist Church Cemetery
Headstone of Sarah Crawford Cullen (1893-1957) at the Conway United Methodist Church Cemetery in 2003. Cullen, the daughter of Senator George White Crawford and Sarah Mizell, served as chairman of the Orange County Democratic Committee. Cullen…

Headstone for Morgan Montgomery Mizell at Conway United Methodist Church Cemetery
Headstone of Morgan Montgomery Mizell (1841-1907) at the Conway United Methodist Church Cemetery in 2003. Mizell was the son of David Mizell, Jr. and Mary Pearce Mizell. He served in the Third Seminole War during 1856. Mizell served again during the…

Headstone for Joseph A. Barber at Conway United Methodist Church Cemetery
Headstone of Joseph A. Barber (1860-1920) at the Conway United Methodist Church Cemetery in 2003. Born on Lake Conway, Barber became the first tax collector for Osceola County in 1890 and served in said position for four years. He also served as a…

Headstone of David Mizell, Jr. at Conway United Methodist Church Cemetery
Headstone of David Mizell, Jr. (1808-1884), an early settler on Lake Mizell, at the Conway United Methodist Church Cemetery in 2003. Mizell became the first chairman of the Orange County Commission in 1869 and served until through 1871. He also…

Headstone for Joseph Katz Barber, Ronald Joseph Barber, and Dixie Pharr Barber at Conway United Methodist Church Cemetery
Headstone of Joseph Katz Barber (1902-1959), Ronald Joseph Barber (1925-1928), and Dixie Pharr Barber (1904-1998) at the Conway United Methodist Church Cemetery in 2003. Joseph Katz Barber served as Orange County Commissioner from 1937 to 1943 and…

Headstone for Dr. David Fort Anderson and Eliza Harrop Kenderdine Anderson at Conway United Methodist Church Cemetery
Headstone of Dr. David Fort Anderson (1830-1923) and Eliza Harrop Kenderdine Anderson (1844-1886) at the Conway United Methodist Church Cemetery in 2003. Dr. Anderson was the grandson of United States congressman, Isaac Anderson (November 22, 1760 -…

Tinker Field Stadium, 2003
The Tinker Field Stadium, located at 287 South Tampa Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2003. Tinker Field is named after Joseph B. Tinker, who was a shortstop for the Chicago Cubs, manager of the Orlando Tigers, and the first Floridian to be…

Tinker Building, 2002
The Tinker Building, located at 16-18 West Pine Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2002. After moving to Orlando in 1920, Joseph B. Tinker constructed the Commercial-style in 1925, using glazed brick tiles and terracotta, for his real estate…

Tinker Building, 2003
The Tinker Building, located at 16-18 West Pine Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2003. After moving to Orlando in 1920, Joseph B. Tinker constructed the Commercial-style in 1925, using glazed brick tiles and terracotta, for his real estate…

Clark C. Griffith Memorial at Tinker Field
The Clark C. Griffith Memorial at Tinker Field, located at 287 South Tampa Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2003. Clark Calvin Griffith (1869-1955), also known as "The Old Fox," was a Major League Baseball pitcher, team manager, and team…

Grand Opening of the Orlando Skate Park
The grand opening of the Orlando Skate Park, located at 400 Festival Way in Orlando, Florida, in 2003.

Florida Citrus Bowl Stadium
The Florida Citrus Bowl Stadium, located 1 Citrus Bowl Place in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2003. The Citrus Bowl was constructed in 1936 as a Works Project Administration (WPA) project. The football stadium was originally called the Orlando…

Demolition of Woolworth-McCrory Building, 2003
Woolworth-McCrory Building, located at 101 South Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, during demolition in 2003. Woolworth's was a retail company established by Frank Winfield Woolworth in 1879. McCrory's was a chain of five-and-dime stores…

Woolworth-McCrory Building, 2001
The Woolworth-McCrory Building, located at 101 South Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2001. Woolworth's was a retail company established by Frank Winfield Woolworth in 1879. McCrory's was a chain of five-and-dime stores established by…

Wall Street Plaza, 2001
Wall Street Plaza, located at 26 Wall Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2001. Wall Street Plaza is a complex of locally-owned bars, restaurants, and nightclubs established in 1995. The plaza originally had just one bar and has grown to include…

Vivaldi Ristorante, 2003
Vivaldi Ristorante, located at 107 West Pine Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2003. Vivaldi is an Italian restaurant named after Antonio Lucio Vivaldi, a Baroque composer, Catholic priest, and violinist in Venice, Italy, during the 18th…

Teele Building, 2002
The Teele Building, located at 123 West Church Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2002. This site was originally occupied by Joseph Bumby's warehouse for hay, grain, and fertilizer. In the late 1880s, W .L. and Silas Dolive operated a packing…

Former State Bank and Trust Company Building, 2002
The former site of the State Bank of Orlando, located at 1 North Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2002. The bank was formed in 1893 with Louis Massey as president. In 1919, the State Bank converted into the State Bank and Trust Company…

Rutland Building, 2002
The Rutland Building, located at 63 North Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2002. The original two-story structure was designed by F. Earl Deloe in the Art Moderne-style for Joseph Rutland's menswear store in 1941. In 1952, three…

Orlando SouthTrust Bank, 2002
The Orlando SouthTrust Bank, located at 135 West Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2002. In 1887, the SouthTrust Corporation was founded as Birmingham Trust and Savings Company in Birmingham, Alabama. The bank was renamed the…

Metcalf Building, 2002
The Metcalf Building, located at 101 South Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida. in 2002. The building opened in 1924 and was the third skyscraper in Orlando. A. G. Bentley built the structure for the Orlando Federal Savings and Loan…

McEwan Sanitarium, 2000
The McEwan Sanitarium, located at 100 East Central Boulevard in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2000. The two-story clinic was constructed in 1911 and expanded to three stories around 1920. The building served as the hospital of Dr. John McEwan, who…

J. G. McCrory's, 2001
The McCrory Building, located at 101 South Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2001. The Art Moderne-style structure, with parts from an 1888 building, was constructed by the J. G. Stores Corporation in 1942. McCrory operated its store and…

Entrance of J. G. McCrory's, 2002
The entrance of the McCrory Building, located at 101 South Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2002. The Art Moderne-style structure, with parts from an 1888 building, was constructed by the J. G. Stores Corporation in 1942. McCrory…

Orlando Masonic Temple, 2002
The Masonic Temple, located on 205 East Central Boulevard, in Downtown Orlando, Florida, 2002. The building was constructed in the 20th Century Commercial style in 1925 and was dedicated on January 13, 1926. The original owner was the Free and…

Kuhl-Delaney Building, 2002
The Kuhl-Delaney Building, located at 69 East Pine Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2002. In 1882, James Delaney opened a grocery store in a wooden building at the corner of Pine Street and Magnolia Avenue. The building caught fire on January…

Kuhl-Delaney Building, 2001
The Kuhl-Delaney Building, located at 69 East Pine Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2001. In 1882, James Delaney opened a grocery store in a wooden building at the corner of Pine Street and Magnolia Avenue. The building caught fire on January…

S.H. Kress & Company Building
The Kress Building, located at 15 West Church Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2001. S. H. Kress & Company is a chain of retail department stores founded by Samuel H. Kress in 1896. The building was designed with Art Deco details by Edward…

S. H. Kress & Company Building Floor Plans
The floor plans for the Kress Building, located at 15 West Church Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2001. The plans include marquise, plaster ceilo grilles, and plaster plans. S. H. Kress & Company is a chain of retail department stores…

JCPenney Building
The JCPenney Building, located at the corner of Orange Avenue and Jefferson Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2001. James Cash Penney established his company in the early 1900s. The company was incorporated under the name J. C. Penney Company…

Hanson Building
The Hanson Building, located at 27 East Pine Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2002. The building was constructed during 1883-1884 in the nineteenth-century commercial style. In 1894, Andrew Hanson purchased the property for the Hanson Shoe…

Sun First National Bank of Orlando
The Sun First National Bank of Orlando, located at 190 South Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2001. In 1911, Seth Woodruff founded the People's National Bank and renamed it the First National Bank in 1920. In 1926, the bank announced…

Empire Building, 2002
The Empire Building, located at 13 West Pine Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2001. The building was occupied by the Orlando Telephone Company in the late 1890s. The Empire Block, as it was also known, was occupied by other tenants, such as…

Empire Building, 2001
The Empire Building, located at 13 West Pine Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2001. The building was occupied by the Orlando Telephone Company in the late 1890s. The Empire Block, as it was also known, was occupied by other tenants, such as…

Elijah Hand Building
The Elijah Hand Building, located at 13-25 West Pine Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2002. The site, formerly occupied by the Magnolia Hotel, was purchased by Elijah Hand in 1905. Hand migrated to Orlando from Shelbyville, Indiana, in 1885…

Downtown Orlando Skyline, 2002
The Downtown Orlando skyline, with Lake Eola in the distance, in 2002. The Orlando area was originally occupied by the Creek and Seminole tribes. In 1838, Fort Gatlin was erected on the shores of Lake Gatlin, just a few miles south of present-day…

Dolive Building, 2003
The Dolive Building, located at 110-114 North Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2003. The original stucco structure was built around 1918 by Silas Dolive with twentieth century-style and some Spanish colonial elements. Dolive relocated…

Dolive Building, 2002
The Dolive Building, located at 110-114 North Orange Avenue in Orlando, in 2002. The original stucco structure was built around 1918 by Silas Dolive with twentieth century-style and some Spanish colonial elements. Dolive relocated to Orlando in 1886…

Dickson & Ives Building
The Dickson & Ives Building, located at 214 South Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2001. In the 1880s, H. H. Dickson and Sidney Ives, Sr. arrived in Orlando and opened mercantile establishments independently of one another. The two…

Bumby Hardware Building
The Bumby Hardware Building, located at 102-110 West Church Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida,in 2001. Originally from England, Joseph Bumby, Sr. relocated to Orlando and built a large, Late Victorian Commercial-style building across the street…

Dr. Phillips Theater, 2002
The Dr. Phillips Theater, located at 23-29 South Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2002. In 1916, Dr. P. Phillips hired Murray S. King to design his theater on the northeast corner of Orange Avenue and Pine Street. In July of 1917, Dr.…

Beacham Theatre, 2001
The Beacham, located at 46 North Orange Avenue, in 2001. The was originally built as a jail for Orange County in 1884. Braxton Beacham Sr. bought the building in 1917 and opened it as the Beacham Theatre in 1921. As of 2013, The Beacham operates as a…

Standard Oil Florida Road Map with Pictorial Guide
Standard Oil road map of Florida from 1954. The map shows the state of Florida, especially Central Florida and Orlando in 1954. Details of cities and towns, and major roads before Central Florida was bisected by interstate highways and the Florida…

History of Orange County, Florida: Narrative and Biographical
Selected pages from History of Orange County Florida: Narrative and Biographical by William Fremont Blackman, Ph.D., L.L.D. Blackman was formally a professor at Yale University and President of Rollins College. The book was published by the E. O.…

Florida's Turnpike Map, 1964
Road map showing the Florida Turnpike, its toll plazas, exits and service stations. The brochure was produced in 1964. Construction for the Florida Turnpike began on July 4, 1955 in response to unprecedented growth in population and tourism in…

Florida's Turnpike and Interstate System Map, 1967
Road map showing the Florida Turnpike, it's toll plazas, exits and service stations. The brochure was produced in 1967. Construction for the Florida Turnpike began on July 4, 1955 in response to unprecedented growth in population and tourism in…

Early Settlers of Orange County, Florida: Reminiscent-Historic-Biographic
Early Settlers of Orange County, Florida, printed in 1915 and published by Clarence E. Howard of Orlando, Florida. The book also includes an article "Early History of Orlando" written by J.N. Whitner of Sanford, Florida. This 68-page book contains…

Dublin Core

Title

Thomas Cook Collection

Alternative Title

Cook Collection

Subject

Orlando (Fla.)
Orange County (Fla.)
Longwood (Fla.)
Cape Canaveral (Fla.)
Lake Wales (Fla.)
Silver Springs (Fla.)
Weeki Wachee (Fla.)
Winter Haven (Fla.)
Osceola County (Fla.)
Winter Park (Fla.)

Description

Collection of digital images, postcards, documents, and other records from the private collection of Thomas Cook. Series descriptions are based on special topics, the majority of which students focused their metadata entries around.

Contributor

Cook, Thomas

Has Part

Postcard Collection, Thomas Cook Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.

Language

eng

Type

Collection

Coverage

Cape Canaveral, Florida
Lake Wales, Florida
Longwood, Florida
Orange County, Florida
Orlando, Florida
Osceola County, Florida
Winter Haven, Florida
Winter Park, Florida

Rights Holder

All items in the Thomas Cook Collection are provided here by RICHES of Central Florida for educational purposes only.

Curator

Cepero, Laura

Digital Collection

Source Repository

Private Collection of Thomas Cook

External Reference

Antequino, Stephanie Gaub, and Tana Mosier Porter. Lost Orlando Charleston, S.C.: Arcadia Pub, 2012.
"Downtown Orlando Historic District Walking Tour." City of Orlando. http://sanfordhistory.tripod.com/Links/wtour.pdf.
Rajtar, Steve. A Guide to Historic Orlando. Charleston, SC: History Press, 2006.
Osborne, Ray. Cape Canaveral. Charleston, SC: Arcadia Pub, 2008.
Smith, Margaret. The Edward Bok Legacy: A History of Bok Tower Gardens: The First Fifty Years. Lake Wales, Fla: Bok Tower Gardens Foundation, 2002.
Pelland, Maryan, and Dan Pelland. Weeki Wachee Springs. Charleston, SC: Arcadia, 2005.
Flekke, Mary M., Sarah E. MacDonald, and Randall M. MacDonald. Cypress Gardens. Charleston, SC: Arcadia, 2006.

Collection Tree