Sioux Villa, 2007

Dublin Core

Title

Sioux Villa, 2007

Alternative Title

Sioux Villa

Subject

Orlando (Fla.)
Buildings--Florida
Unitarian churches--United States
Churches--Florida
Bungalows--United States
Unitarian churches--United States
Unitarian Universalists--United States
Unitarianism--United States
Unitarians--United States

Description

Sioux Villa, located at 60 Waverly Place in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2007. In 1906, this two-story bungalow was built for Mahlon Gore on the south shore of Lake Lucerne. Gore was born in Climax, Michigan, on February 4, 1837. In 1861, he enlisted in the Second Michigan Infantry, serving only three moves. Shortly thereafter, he moved to Iowa with his wife, Josephine Lucinda Dawley Gore, who he had married in 1860. Together, they had one child: Eva Gore Robinson.

After homesteading in the Dakota Territory, Gore decided to moved to Orlando, Florida, in 1880, due to his poor health. In the 1880s, he purchased The Orange County Reporter shortly after his arrival and was elected to the Orlando City Council. Gore served as Mayor of Orlando from 1893 to 1896. His wife passed away around 1903 and he moved into Sioux Villa in 1906. He died on June 27, 1916.

Gore's second wife, Caroline Groninger Gore, opened their home, which was then located at 211 Lucerne Circle, to a congregation of Unitarian Universalists led by Reverend Eleanor Gordon during the winter of 1910. On January 8, 1911, the home served as the site of the first service of the First Unitarian Church of Orlando. The church was formally organized the following year in the home of Edward McNeill, located at 309 Robinson Street. The congregation held some of its earliest services in the Lucerne Theatre before purchasing land at the northeast corner of Central Boulevard and Rosalind Avenue in on January 1, 1913. The church building was designed by Ida Annah Ryan and Isabel Roberts in the Spanish Colonial Revival-style. The Unity Chapel held its first service on February 16, 1913, and was formally dedicated on March 16. By 1954, the congregation had outgrown Unity Chapel and moved to a new church located at 1901 East Robinson Street. In 1957, the chapel's last service took place. Sam Murrell constructed a new building, called the Murrell Building, that was designed by Richard Boone Rogers in 1957.

Creator

Cook, Thomas

Source

Original color image by Thomas Cook, 2007: Private Collection of Thomas Cook.

Date Created

2007

Contributor

Cook, Thomas

Is Part Of

Thomas Cook Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.

Format

image/jpg

Extent

757 KB
861 KB
0.99 MB
931 KB
761 KB
1.06 MB

Medium

6 color digital images

Language

eng

Type

Still Image

Coverage

Sioux Villa, Downtown Orlando, Florida
First Unitarian Church, Downtown Orlando, Florida

Accrual Method

Donation

Mediator

History Teacher
Civics/Government Teacher
Geography Teacher

Provenance

Originally created by Thomas Cook and published by RICHES of Central Florida.

Rights Holder

Copyright to this resource is held by Thomas Cook and is provided here by RICHES of Central Florida for educational purposes only.

Curator

Cepero, Laura

Digital Collection

Source Repository

Private Collection of Thomas Cook

External Reference

"Mahlon Gore." Find a Grave. http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=10916676.
Rajtar, Steve. A Guide to Historic Orlando. Charleston, SC: History Press, 2006.

Transcript

Call 407-898-2280

FOR SALE
OLDE TOWN REALTOR[?] INC.
Karleen & Rick Higgins
407-898-2280

Office: 407-425-5069

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

6 color digital images

Locations

Categories