Orange County Courthouse, 2003

Dublin Core

Title

Orange County Courthouse, 2003

Alternative Title

Orange County Courthouse

Subject

Orlando (Fla.)
Buildings--Florida
Courthouses--Florida

Description

The Orange County Courthouse, located at 425 North Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2003. In 1857, B. F. Caldwell donated four acres of land at the northeast corner of Central Boulevard and Main Street (present-day Magnolia Avenue) for the original courthouse in Orange County. A two-story hand-hewn log structured was built in 1863, but burned down in 1868.

A three-story frame courthouse, the county's fourth, was built by Augustus Hyer in 1875. In 1882, W. C. Green's Company built a fifth courthouse that was designed by A. S. Wagner. An eight-foot tall clock tower with a 1,500 pound bell, nicknamed "Big Ben," was added at the intersection of Central Boulevard and Magnolia Avenue. The sixth courthouse was constructed on land acquired by the county in 1924 in the Neoclassical Revival style. The building was designed by Murray S. King, completed by his son James R. King, and dedicated on October 12, 1927.

The 1892 courthouse was demolished in 1957 and replaced in 1960 by a modern glass and steel annex structure connected to the 1927 building. In 1999, the annex was torn down after being abandoned due to asbestos. In the late 1990s, the 1927 courthouse was remodeled for $35 million as the Orange County Regional History Center. The current courthouse for the Ninth District is located on North Orange Avenue.

Creator

Cook, Thomas

Source

Original color digital images by Thomas Cook, 2011: Private Collection of Thomas Cook.

Date Created

2011-06-09

Contributor

Cook, Thomas

Is Part Of

Thomas Cook Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.

Format

image/jpg

Extent

109 KB
67 KB

Medium

2 color digital images

Type

Still Image

Coverage

Orange County Courthouse, Downtown Orlando, Florida

Accrual Method

Donation

Mediator

History Teacher
Civics/Government Teacher
Geography Teacher
Humanities Teacher
Visual Arts Teacher

Provenance

Originally created by Thomas Cook and published by RICHES of Central Florida.

Rights Holder

Copyright to this resource is held by Thomas Cook and is provided here by RICHES of Central Florida for educational purposes only.

Curator

Cepero, Laura

Digital Collection

Source Repository

Private Collection of Thomas Cook

External Reference

"Downtown Orlando Historic District Walking Tour." City of Orlando. http://sanfordhistory.tripod.com/Links/wtour.pdf.
"Orange County Courthouse,." Ninth Judicial Circuit Court of Florida. http://www.ninthcircuit.org/about/courthouses/orange/.
Rajtar, Steve. A Guide to Historic Orlando. Charleston, SC: History Press, 2006.

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

2 color digital images

Locations

Categories

Transcribe This Item

  1. TC00067.jpg
  2. TC00068.jpg