Browse Items (23 total)

  • Tags: store

HH00149.jpg
A painting by Bettye Reagan, a local artist in Central Florida, inspired by a photograph of the Lawton General Store Oviedo, Florida sometime between 1900 and 1939. The store was run by two brothers: Thomas Willington Lawton (1882-1963) and Winborn…

MN00031.pdf
The Maitland News was a local newspaper originally published by the Maitland Realty Company (and later by the Maitland News Company) which began circulation in April 1926. This edition features articles on topics such as the opening of a new cash…

Tags: ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;

HH00148.jpg
A photograph of the Lawton Brothers Store in Oviedo, Florida, in 1910. The man behind the cash register in the photograph is likely Thomas Willington Lawton (1882-1963) or his brother, Winborn Joseph Lawton, Sr. (1881-1971). T. W. Lawton graduated…

HH00264.jpg
A newspaper advertisement for the Horse and Rider Western Store, located at 2858 Sanford Avenue in Sanford, Florida. The store sold various Western-style products and gear for horseback riding, including saddles, gun belts, and belt buckles.

HH00408.pdf
Thomas Willington Lawton (1882-1963) and his brother, Winborn Joseph Lawton, Sr. (1881-1971), at the Lawton General Store in Oviedo, Florida. T. W. Lawton graduated from Rollins College in 1903. He later received his master's degree from Andover…

HH00383.pdf
Old Downtown Oviedo, Florida, looking east from the intersection of Broadway Street/County Road 419/Florida State Road 426 and Florida State Road 434/Florida State Road 419. A Coca-Cola sign can be seen the right side of the photograph. The two-story…

HH00375.pdf
Looking west along East Broadway Street towards Central Avenue in Oviedo, Florida. The shops in the photograph include a pet food and supply store, Pot Latch, a barber shop, and Albert's Jewelers, which was located at 24 East Broadway Street.

HH00374.pdf
Oviedo Drug and Meat World, two local stores located in Oviedo, Florida, in 1979. The two stores were located on the corner of East Broadway Street/County Road 419 and Florida State Road 426.

HH00372.jpg
Browdy's Mini-Mart, a convenience store located at the north side of the intersection of Avenue B and East Broadway Street/County Road 419 in Downtown Oviedo, Florida.

HH00371.jpg
Whitaker's Old Country Store, a junk resale store located on East Broadway Street across the street from the Antioch Missionary Baptist Church, near the old railroad tracks of the Orlando-Winter Park Railroad, also known as the Dinky Line.

3309.mp3
Daphne F. Humphrey was born in Sarasota, Florida, but migrated to Sanford at age 5. In this oral history, she first describes Georgetown, an historic African-American community in Sanford. She then talks of her mother, Marie Jones Francis, the…

HH00020.jpg
the Baggs' Produce cart prop used in several scenes for Remade - Not Bought to symbolize the Baggs' grocery store. This store was part of the community for decades and has served as a de facto meeting place for residents of Sanford, Florida.Remade -…

PB032.jpg
The former lot of a grocery store, located at 206 South Sanford Avenue owned by Harry Black (d. 1911), the grandfather of Patricia Ann Black, in 2012. Harry and Maggie Benjamin Black (ca. 1870-ca. 1934) were the parents of Leckward Black, Mustar…

Ep 44 I 4.mp3
Episode 44 of RICHES Podcast Documentaries: The Construction of Inequality: Politics and Influence on I-4. RICHES Podcast Documentaries are short form narrative documentaries that explore Central Florida history and are locally produced. These…

SC00160.jpg
The docks at Palmetto Avenue in Sanford, Florida, in 1882. Sanford's telegraph office and Henry Shelton Sanford's company store are located at the base of Palmetto Avenue. Henry Shelton Sanford (1823-1891) was an American diplomat, lawyer, and…

TCC00097.jpg
The former Orlando Hotel building, located at 129-135 West Church Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida,in 2002. The site was originally occupied by the Slemons Department Store.In 1924, the current brick building was constructed by the J. C. Hanner…

TCC00053.jpg
The Woolworth-McCrory Building, located at 101 South Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2001. Woolworth's was a retail company established by Frank Winfield Woolworth in 1879. McCrory's was a chain of five-and-dime stores established by…

TCC00024.jpg
The Kress Building, located at 15 West Church Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2001. S. H. Kress & Company is a chain of retail department stores founded by Samuel H. Kress in 1896. The building was designed with Art Deco details by Edward…

TCC00020.jpg
The floor plans for the Kress Building, located at 15 West Church Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2001. The plans include marquise, plaster ceilo grilles, and plaster plans. S. H. Kress & Company is a chain of retail department stores…

TCC00018.jpg
The JCPenney Building, located at the corner of Orange Avenue and Jefferson Street in Downtown Orlando, Florida, in 2001. James Cash Penney established his company in the early 1900s. The company was incorporated under the name J. C. Penney Company…

SC00194.jpg
Former building at First Street and Magnolia Avenue prior to the construction of the N.P. Yowell and Garner Woodruff Buildings. The building was named after Fort Reid, which was established by Colonel William Harney on July 7, 1840. Colonel Harney…