Browse Items (69 total)

  • Tags: Palmetto Avenue

SC00894.jpg
The Ford Motor Company dealership that was located on the southeast corner of North Palmetto Avenue and East Commercial Avenue in Downtown Sanford, Florida, around 1924. The building was designed by architect Elton James Moughton. As of 2012, the…

SC00893.jpg
The former lot of the Ford Motor Company dealership that was located on the southeast corner of Palmetto Avenue and Commercial Avenue in Downtown Sanford, Florida. The dealership was located here in the 1920s. At the time that this photograph was…

PB056.jpg
Patricia Ann Black next to the Heritage Marker #3 of the Georgetown Pathways to History Project, which was developed by the Georgetown Heritage Advisory Committee with assistance from the Sanford Museum and Sanford Historical Society. Georgetown was…

PHC00197.pdf
A history of Sanford Grammar School. Originally established as Sanford High School, the main building for Sanford Grammar School was constructed at 301 West Seventh Street in Sanford, Florida, in 1902. The building was designed by W. G. Talley in…

Tags: ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;

PHC00182.pdf
A history of Sanford Grammar School's lunchroom. Originally established as Sanford High School, the main building was constructed at 301 West Seventh Street in Sanford, Florida, in 1902. The building was designed by W. G. Talley in the Romanesque…

PB054.pdf
An invitation to a ceremony commemorating the completion of the Sanford Avenue Streetscape and the unveiling of several heritage markers. The unveiling of the heritage markers was held in Paulucci Park, located at the southwest corner of First Street…

PB050.jpg
Special thanks being given to Patricia Ann Black (1956- ), who can be seen wearing red in the photographs, at a ceremony commemorating the completion of the Sanford Avenue Streetscape and the unveiling of several heritage markers. The unveiling of…

PB049.jpg
Sanford Mayor Jeff Triplett addressing the audience at a ceremony commemorating the completion of the Sanford Avenue Streetscape and the unveiling of several heritage markers. The unveiling of the heritage markers was held in Paulucci Park, located…

PB048.jpg
The ceremony commemorating the completion of the Sanford Avenue Streetscape and the unveiling of several heritage markers. The unveiling of the heritage markers was held in Paulucci Park, located at the southwest corner of First Street and Palmetto…

CSC00006T.pdf
An oral history of Luticia Lee, with her daughter, Cathy Lee Dingle. Lee was born in Sanford, Florida, where her mother bought a grocery store on First Street at half-interest in 1910. Lee's mother graduated from Sanford High School in 1913 and Lee…

Tags: ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;

LMBP00001.wav
An oral history interview of Ima Jean Bostick Yarborough, conducted by Joseph Morris on November 10, 2011. Yarborough was born on August 2, 1935 in Ocala, Florida, but spent much of her adult life working in the cattle industry in Geneva. In the…

Tags: ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;

FSM00048.jpg
This photograph was taken from the porch of the Sanford House Hotel looking northeast. Sanford's telegraph office and Henry Shelton Sanford's (1823-1891) company store are located at the base of Palmetto Avenue. The docks at Palmetto Avenue can also…

FSM00024.jpg
A rooftop view of the Hester-Shephard block, located at 109 South Palmetto Avenue in Sanford, Florida. The block was named after M. K. Hester and Samuel W. Shepard. The three-story building was constructed after the September 1887 fire. From 1890 to…

FSM00020.jpg
The corner of East First Street and North Palmetto Avenue in Sanford, Florida. Although the earliest type of stereoscope dates back to 1838, this stereoscope card is from a Holmes-style stereoscope invented by Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr. (1841-1935)…

PHC00129.pdf
The 1916 Salmagundi yearbook for Sanford High School. The yearbook was named after the Native American word meaning "a general mixture." Anna McLaughlin was the editor-in-chief of the Salmagundi for the 1913-1914 school year, which 15 cents. It has…

Tags: ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;

PHC00128.pdf
The 1915 Salmagundi yearbook for Sanford High School. The yearbook was named after the Native American word meaning "a general mixture." Ethel Hickson was the editor-in-chief of the Salmagundi for the 1913-1914 school year, which cost fifteen…

Tags: ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;

PHC00125.pdf
The 1910 Salmagundi was the first yearbook for Sanford High School. The yearbook was named after a Native American word meaning "a general mixture." Carrie Lovell was the editor-in-chief of the Salmagundi, which cost fifteen cents. It has 40 pages,…

Tags: ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;

PHC00120.pdf
A letter from Mary Crawford Williams to the Sanford High School Class of 1926. The letter consists of a two-page list of graduates and their addresses as of 1976, as well as a typed letter informing the alumni of a manuscript written about Sanford…

PHC00119.jpg
The Orlando Sentinel Almanac for February 17, 1983. This newspaper column features the birthdays of former sportscaster Red Barber (1908-1992), as well as writer Margaret Truman Daniel (1924-2008). Born on in Columbus, Mississippi, on February 7,…

PHC00116.jpg
Sanford High School Class Day exercise program. Class Day exercises took place on May 21st, 1920.Sanford High School was originally established at 301 West Seventh Street in Sanford, Florida, in 1902. The building was designed by W. G. Talley in the…

PHC00115.jpg
Sanford High School Class of 1920 Sunday commencement program. Commencement exercises took place on May 21st, 1920.Sanford High School was originally established at 301 West Seventh Street in Sanford, Florida, in 1902. The building was designed by W.…

PHC00113.jpg
Sanford High School Class of 1919 graduation program. Graduating exercises took place on May 9th, 1919. Dr. James M. Farr (1874-1958), President of the University of Florida, gave the commencement address.Sanford High School was originally…

PHC00112.pdf
Sanford High School Class of 1916 commencement program. Commencement ceremonies took place between May 14th and May 19th, 1916, and included a commencement sermon, a piano recital, a performance of the play "At the End of the Rainbow," a grammar…

Tags: ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;

PHC00110.pdf
Sanford High School Class of 1914 commencement program. Commencement ceremonies took place between May 18th and May 22nd, 1914, and included a piano recital, a graduation recital, a performance of the play "The Mishaps of Minerva," a grammar school…

PHC00083.jpg
Sanford High School's second campus, located at the corner of East Ninth Street and South Palmetto Avenue in Sanford, Florida, in 1911. Sanford High School was originally established at 301 West Seventh Street in Sanford in 1902. The building was…

PHC00081.jpg
Sanford High School's second campus, located at the corner of East Ninth Street and South Palmetto Avenue in Sanford, Florida, in 1911. Sanford High School was originally established at 301 West Seventh Street in Sanford, Florida, in 1902. The…

PHC00075.jpg
Class day at Sanford High School's second campus, located at the corner of East Ninth Street and South Palmetto Avenue in Sanford, Florida, in 1919. Sanford High School was originally established at 301 West Seventh Street in Sanford, Florida, in…

PHC00074.jpg
Sanford High School's second campus, located at the corner of East Ninth Street and South Palmetto Avenue in Sanford, Florida, sometime between 1911 and 1927. The first campus for the high school was established at 301 West Seventh Street in Sanford,…

PHC00073.jpg
Sanford High School's second campus, located at the corner of East Ninth Street and South Palmetto Avenue in Sanford, Florida, sometime between 1911 and 1927. The first campus for the high school was established at 301 West Seventh Street in…

PHC00072.jpg
Sanford High School's second campus, located at the corner of East Ninth Street and South Palmetto Avenue in Sanford, Florida, sometime between 1911 and 1927. The first campus for the high school was established at 301 West Seventh Street in…

PHC00071.jpg
Sanford High School's second campus, located at the corner of East Ninth Street and South Palmetto Avenue in Sanford, Florida, sometime between 1911 and 1927. The first campus for the high school was established at 301 West Seventh Street in…

PHC00067.jpg
Male students at Sanford High School's second campus, located at the corner of East Ninth Street and South Palmetto Avenue in Sanford, Florida, in the 1920s. Sanford High School was originally established at 301 West Seventh Street in Sanford,…

PHC00066.jpg
Female students at Sanford High School's second campus, located at the corner of East Ninth Street and South Palmetto Avenue in Sanford, Florida, in the 1920s. Sanford High School was originally established at 301 West Seventh Street in Sanford,…

PHC00065.jpg
Former students of Sanford High School's second campus, located at the corner of East Ninth Street and South Palmetto Avenue in Sanford, Florida, in the 1920s. Sanford High School was originally established at 301 West Seventh Street in Sanford,…

PHC00063.jpg
Women at Sanford High School's second campus, located at the corner of East Ninth Street and South Palmetto Avenue in Sanford, Florida, sometime between 1911 and 1927. Sanford High School was originally established at 301 West Seventh Street in…

PHC00084.pdf
Sanford High School report card for eleventh-grader Frances Leavitt during the 1914-1915 school years. Clara Louise Guild evaluated Leavitt in subjects such as English literature, geometry, history, and French. Other school subjects include algebra,…

PHC00053.pdf
Seminole County Public Schools' Teacher Records from 1913 to 1954. When the Seminole County School Board was established in 1913, it began recording teachers' names, ages, certifications, years of experience, number of months contracted, and salaries…

Tags: ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;

PHC00052.jpg
Five female students at Sanford High School's second campus, located at the corner of East Ninth Street and South Palmetto Avenue in Sanford, Florida, in 1911. The students photographed, from left to right, are: Ruth Mettinger, Gladys Gardner, Carrie…

PHC00051.jpg
Sanford High School's Class of 1915 on the front steps of the second campus used for the school, located at the corner of East Ninth Street and South Palmetto Avenue in Sanford, Florida. Sanford High School was originally established at 301 West…

PHC00049.jpg
Sanford High School's Freshmen Class of 1920 on the front steps of the second campus used for the school, located at the corner of East Ninth Street and South Palmetto Avenue in Sanford, Florida. The arrow drawn on the photograph points to a student…

PHC00048.jpg
Sanford High School's Class of 1924 at the second campus used for the school, located at the corner of East Ninth Street and South Palmetto Avenue in Sanford, Florida. Sanford High School was originally established at 301 West Seventh Street in…

PHC00047.jpg
Sanford High School's Class of 1925 with their teacher, Mrs. Glenn E. McKay, on the front steps of the second campus used for the school, located at the corner of East Ninth Street and South Palmetto Avenue in Sanford, Florida.Sanford High School was…

PHC00046.jpg
A classroom at Sanford High School's second campusl, located at the corner of East Ninth Street and South Palmetto Avenue in Sanford, Florida. Although the image is undated, it was likely taken sometime between 1911 and 1927. The backside of the…

SC00648.jpg
A newspaper article about W. A. Patrick, president of the Seminole Tire Shop in Sanford, Florida. Patrick migrated to Sanford on March 10, 192,7 and established a tire repair business that also distributed Firestone and Crosley products. By 1932, his…

PHC00050.jpg
Sanford High School girls basketball team during the 1919-1920 school year. Sanford High School was originally established at 301 West Seventh Street in 1902. The building was designed by W. G. Talley in the Romanesque revival style. Due to an…

SC00161.jpg
The City of Stanford in the 1890s, after the Great Fire of 1887. The present-day Sanford, Florida, area was originally inhabited by the Mayaca and Joroco tribes by the time Europeans arrived. The tribe was decimated by war and disease by 1760 and was…

SC00160.jpg
The docks at Palmetto Avenue in Sanford, Florida, in 1882. Sanford's telegraph office and Henry Shelton Sanford's company store are located at the base of Palmetto Avenue. Henry Shelton Sanford (1823-1891) was an American diplomat, lawyer, and…

SC00159.jpg
The City of Sanford riverfront in the 1880s, just before the Great Fire of 1887. The present-day Sanford, Florida, area was originally inhabited by the Mayaca and Joroco tribes by the time Europeans arrived. The tribe was decimated by war and disease…

The Goldenrod Historical Society, located at 4755 Palmetto Avenue in Goldenrod, Florida, was established on October 17, 1984. On August 11, 2000, the society began the development of the Goldenrod Station and Museum, which is housed in the former…

GHSM00001.jpg
The Goldenrod Volunteer Fire Department Station 4810 in the early 1970s. The station was likely photographed by John Viles, then Fire Chief for Station 23. Goldenrod formed its volunteer fire department in the 1950s with its own trucks and erected a…

SC00334.jpg
The Wayne Densch Performing Arts Center, located at 203 South Magnolia Avenue in Downtown Sanford, Florida in 2011. Originally the Milane Theatre, the building was constructed at 203 South Magnolia Avenue in Sanford, the former location of the Star…

GC_00362.jpg
Built in 1875 by General Henry Shelton Sanford (1823-1891), the Sanford House Hotel was able to accommodate over 150 guests. At the turn of the century, the Sanford House Hotel was the center of all major city events and celebrations. The hotel…

img024.jpg
Fourth of July celebrations along Commercial Street in 1886. The large building on the right is the Sanford House Hotel, which was built by Henry Sanford (1823-1891) with the intent of attracting tourists and providing housing for would-be wealthy…

Eimg029.jpg
Looking southwest from the intersection of East First Street and North Palmetto Avenue in Sanford, Florida in 1882. When Henry Shelton Sanford purchased land in central Florida, he developed citrus groves known as the Belair Groves and Experimental…

SC00204.jpg
The Sanford House Hotel Park, adjoining the Sanford House Hotel, overlooked the waterfront of Lake Monroe at Commercial Street and Palmetto Avenue in Sanford, Florida in 1934. The hotel was built by Henry Sanford (1823-1891) with the intent of…

SC00192.jpg
The Sanford Hotel House Park in Sanford, Florida in 1880. The Sanford House Hotel was built by Henry Sanford (1823-1891) with the intent of attracting tourists and providing housing for would-be wealthy settlers to the city of Sanford. The Sanford…

SC00191.jpg
First Street between Palmetto Avenue and Magnolia Avenue in Sanford, Florida in 1882. When General Henry S. Sanford (1823-1891) first established the City of Sanford, he laid out the streets on a grid plan. Streets running toward Lake Monroe were…

SC00190.jpg
When General Henry S. Sanford (1823-1891) first established the City of Sanford, Florida, he laid out the streets on a grid plan. Streets running toward Lake Monroe were given names of native Florida trees, while streets running parallel to the lake…