Browse Items (71 total)

  • Tags: elementary schools

PAR00001.pdf
A map of the Ossie Quarters, an area in the Parramore neighborhood of Downtown Orlando, Florida. The map was drawn in 2016 by Althea Hill, based on her memory of historic businesses and homes located in the neighborhood from 1951 through 1970. Ossie…

HH00533.mp3
An oral history of James Marion Jones, conducted by Elizabeth Tammaro on March 19, 2015. Jones, who was born June 19, 1945, grew up in Oviedo, Florida, and had a long career as teacher and assistant principal in Seminole County Public Schools (SCPS).…

Tags: ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;

HH00466.jpg
A document created by Dane Kolb as part of the Oviedo History Harvest in 2015. In the document, the author is asked to describe his favorite memory of Oviedo, Florida. Kolb, who was 25 at the time, stated that skating and rollerblading around Lawton…

HH00462.jpg
A map of Oviedo drawn by Sarah Thorncroft as part of the Oviedo History Harvest in 2015. The map shows various locations along Aloma Avenue, which is part of Florida State Road 426, and Central Avenue, which is part of SR 419. These sites include…

HH00188.pdf
A booklet, compiled by the Oviedo Historical Society, featuring historic houses and buildings in Oviedo, Florida. The booklet features historic buildings constructed before 1960, just before the period of expanded housing developments in Oviedo. The…

Tags: ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;

HH00423.jpg
A newspaper article published by The Oviedo Outlook on May 26, 1977. The article details the arrest of three youths who were committing burglary at T. W. Lawton Elementary School, located at 151 Graham Avenue in Oviedo, Florida. Originally called the…

HH00393.jpg
T. W. Lawton Elementary School, located at 151 Graham Avenue in Oviedo, Florida. Originally called the T. W. Lawton Elementary School, the one-room schoolhouse was first constructed in 1876 in order to serve the three families that lived on Old…

HH00388.pdf
T. W. Lawton Elementary School, located at 151 Graham Avenue in Oviedo, Florida, in 1931. Originally called the T. W. Lawton Elementary School, the one-room schoolhouse was first constructed in 1876 in order to serve the three families that lived on…

PHC00195.pdf
Sanford Grammar School principal's monthly payroll report for the period of August 15, 1955, to September 12, 1955. The principal was Harold R. Heckenbach, who served from 1953 to 1960. The payroll included 12 teachers: Maida Ansley, Catherine Ball,…

PHC00200.jpg
A Special Award Certificate for Mary Ann Bukur for sixth grader Mary Ann Bukur during the 1946-1947 school year. Bukur was received her certificate from teacher Lilian Horner and principal Ben C. Steele. Originally established as Sanford High School,…

PHC00199.jpg
An Honor Roll Certificate for Mary Ann Bukur for fifth grader Mary Ann Bukur during the 1945-1946 school year. Bukur was received her certificate from teacher Lilian Horner and principal Ben C. Steele.Originally established as Sanford High School,…

PHC00197.pdf
A history of Sanford Grammar School. Originally established as Sanford High School, the main building for Sanford Grammar School was constructed at 301 West Seventh Street in Sanford, Florida, in 1902. The building was designed by W. G. Talley in…

Tags: ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;

PHC00196.jpg
The Sanford Grammar School Lunchroom. Originally established as Sanford High School, the main building was constructed at 301 West Seventh Street in Sanford, Florida, in 1902. The building was designed by W. G. Talley in the Romanesque revival style.…

PHC00194.pdf
Pine Crest Elementary School's Monthly Payroll Report for the period of August 15, 1955-September 12, 1955. The principal was Margaret Reynolds and her secretary was June Vance. The payroll included eleven teachers: Polly Daniels and Ann F. Echols,…

PHC00193.pdf
Sanford Grammar School's Monthly Payroll Report for the period of September 14, 1955, to October 10, 1955. The principal was Harold R. Heckenbach, who served from 1953 to 1960. The payroll included twelve teachers: Maida Ansley, Catherine Ball,…

PHC00192.jpg
A Sanford Grammar School report card for an unidentified student. Students were evaluated in subjects such as algebra, English, Latin, and history.Originally established as Sanford High School, the main building was constructed at 301 West Seventh…

PHC00191.pdf
Sanford Grammar School report card for fourth grader Keith Butler during the 1973-1974 school year. Students were evaluated in subjects such as mathematics, reading, language, spelling, handwriting, science, social studies, health, physical…

PHC00189.jpg
The faculty directory for Sanford Grammar School. Originally established as Sanford High School, the main building was constructed at 301 West Seventh Street in Sanford, Florida, in 1902. The building was designed by W. G. Talley in the Romanesque…

PHC00187.jpg
A facsimile from Myriam Garrett of the Student Museum to George Kosmac, dated October 16, 2007. Attached to the letter from Frederick P. Gaske, a Florida State Historic Preservation Officer, to Bill Vogel, Superintendent of Seminole County Public…

PHC00186.jpg
The cafeteria menu for Sanford Grammar School during the week of January 4, 1943. Originally established as Sanford High School, the main building was constructed at 301 West Seventh Street in Sanford, Florida, in 1902. The building was designed by…

PHC00185.jpg
A letter from Thomas Willington Lawton (1882-1963), Secretary and Superintendent of the Seminole County Department of Public Instruction, to Susan B. Wight, President of the Sanford Woman's Club, dated July 15, 1924. On behalf to the Seminole County…

PHC00184.pdf
A report on school lunches, produced by the Educational Committee of the Sanford Woman's Club's Welfare Department. Originally established as Sanford High School, the main building was constructed at 301 West Seventh Street in Sanford, Florida,…

PHC00183.jpg
A school lunch finance report for Sanford Grammar School. Originally established as Sanford High School, the main building was constructed at 301 West Seventh Street in Sanford, Florida, in 1902. The building was designed by W. G. Talley in the…

PHC00182.pdf
A history of Sanford Grammar School's lunchroom. Originally established as Sanford High School, the main building was constructed at 301 West Seventh Street in Sanford, Florida, in 1902. The building was designed by W. G. Talley in the Romanesque…

PHC00181.pdf
A history of Sanford Grammar School. Originally established as Sanford High School, the main building was constructed at 301 West Seventh Street in Sanford, Florida, in 1902. The building was designed by W. G. Talley in the Romanesque revival style.…

Tags: ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;

PHC00180.jpg
A history of Sanford Grammar School's lunchroom. Originally established as Sanford High School, the main building was constructed at 301 West Seventh Street in Sanford, Florida, in 1902. The building was designed by W. G. Talley in the Romanesque…

PHC00178.jpg
A map of Sanford Grammar School for a student who attended the school from 1961 to 1965. Originally established as Sanford High School, the main building was constructed at 301 West Seventh Street in Sanford, Florida, in 1902. The building was…

PHC00176.jpg
A class at Sanford Grammar School in 1929. Originally established as Sanford High School, the main building was constructed at 301 West Seventh Street in Sanford, Florida, in 1902. The building was designed by W. G. Talley in the Romanesque revival…

PHC00174.jpg
A drawing and description of Sanford Grammar school by a student named Lakeisha Beveritt. Originally established as Sanford High School, the main building was constructed at 301 West Seventh Street in Sanford, Florida, in 1902. The building was…

PHC00173.jpg
Demolition of the Sanford Grammar School Lunchroom on September 25, 2008. Originally established as Sanford High School, the main building was constructed at 301 West Seventh Street in Sanford, Florida, in 1902. The building was designed by W. G.…

PHC00172.jpg
The faculty at Sanford Grammar School around 1922. Originally established as Sanford High School, the main building was constructed at 301 West Seventh Street in Sanford, Florida, in 1902. The building was designed by W. G. Talley in the Romanesque…

PHC00171.jpg
A sixth grade class at Sanford Grammar School during the 1934-1935 school year. Originally established as Sanford High School, the main building was constructed at 301 West Seventh Street in Sanford, Florida, in 1902. The building was designed by W.…

PHC00169.jpg
Sybil Routh's sixth grade class at Sanford Grammar School during the 1951-1952 school year. Some of the students photographed are Dale Goins, Carol McNeill, Judy Clark, Alan Buitz, Peggy Lundquist, Chester Cherry, L.C. Smith, Jan Miller, Helen Adams,…

PHC00166.pdf
An annual Report of School Progress for Sanford Grammar School during the 1977-1978 school year. Originally located at 301 West Seventh Street in Sanford, Florida, Sanford Grammar School was first established as Sanford High School in 1902. The…

Tags: ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;

PHC00164.jpg
Sanford Grammar School during the 1983-1984 school year. Originally located at 301 West Seventh Street in Sanford, Florida, Sanford Grammar School was first established as Sanford High School in 1902. The building was designed by W. G. Talley in the…

PHC00163.jpg
Sanford Grammar School in the early 1900s. Originally located at 301 West Seventh Street in Sanford, Florida, Sanford Grammar School was first established as Sanford High School in 1902. The building was designed by W. G. Talley in the Romanesque…

PHC00162.jpg
Sanford Grammar School in 1916, during the construction of two new twin wings. Originally located at 301 West Seventh Street in Sanford, Florida, Sanford Grammar School was first established as Sanford High School in 1902. The building was designed…

PHC00161.jpg
An architect's rendition of Sanford Grammar School construction plan in 1908. Originally located at 301 West Seventh Street in Sanford, Florida, Sanford Grammar School was first established as Sanford High School in 1902. The building was designed…

PHC00160.jpg
The school grounds of Sanford Grammar School. Originally located at 301 West Seventh Street in Sanford, Florida, Sanford Grammar School was first established as Sanford High School in 1902. The building was designed by W. G. Talley in the Romanesque…

PHC00159.jpg
Wendy Grove at Sanford Grammar School on June 14, 1972. Originally located at 301 West Seventh Street in Sanford, Florida, Sanford Grammar School was first established as Sanford High School in 1902. The building was designed by W. G. Talley in the…

PHC00158.jpg
A May Day pole dance at Sanford Grammar School during the 1945-1946 school year. Originally located at 301 West Seventh Street in Sanford, Florida, Sanford Grammar School was first established as Sanford High School in 1902. The building was…

PHC00157.jpg
The bell at Sanford Grammar School. Originally located at 301 West Seventh Street in Sanford, Florida, Sanford Grammar School was first established as Sanford High School in 1902. The building was designed by W. G. Talley in the Romanesque revival…

PHC00151.jpg
Sanford Grammar School in November 1984, around the time that the building was placed on the U.S. National Register of Historic Places. Originally located at 301 West Seventh Street in Sanford, Florida, Sanford Grammar School was first established…

PHC00146.jpg
A classroom at Sanford Grammar School. Originally located at 301 West Seventh Street in Sanford, Florida, Sanford Grammar School was first established as Sanford High School in 1902. The building was designed by W. G. Talley in the Romanesque…

PHC00145.jpg
A construction marker for Sanford High School, which was originally established at 301 West Seventh Street in Sanford, Florida, in 1902. The building was designed by W. G. Talley in the Romanesque revival style. Due to an increasing student…

PHC00144.jpg
The courtyard at Sanford Grammar School. Originally located at 301 West Seventh Street in Sanford, Florida, Sanford Grammar School was first established as Sanford High School in 1902. The building was designed by W. G. Talley in the Romanesque…

PHC00143.jpg
Mrs. Harner's fifth grade class at Sanford Grammar School in 1949. Some of the students photographed are Evelyn Landress, Catherine King, Wally Van Ness, Betty Alfond, Tommy Russell, Ruthie Nettles, Henry Cason, Kay Jenkins, Sam Dunn, Ernist Wright,…

PHC00142.jpg
May Day Court at Sanford Grammar School during the 1945-1946 school year. Ann Whitaker and Bob Killpatrick were the May Day Queen and King, respectively. Photographed as standing in the top row, from left to right, is Eileen Barnett, Carolyn Rolland,…

PHC00140.jpg
Mrs. Lester's sixth grade class at Sanford Grammar School during the 1921-1922 school year. This class would eventually become the Sanford High School Class of 1928-1929.  Originally located at 301 West Seventh Street in Sanford, Florida, Sanford…

PHC00139.jpg
Ruth Kanner's fifth grade class at Sanford Grammar School during the 1921-1922 school year. In the first row on the far left is Kanner with Principal Clara Millen photographed on the far right. One student identified is Frankie DeBose, pictured as…

PHC00138.jpg
A class at Sanford Grammar School.  Originally located at 301 West Seventh Street in Sanford, Florida, Sanford Grammar School was first established as Sanford High School in 1902. The building was designed by W. G. Talley in the Romanesque revival…

PHC00137.jpg
Clare Gortez's fifth grade class at Sanford Grammar School during the 1920-1921 school year. Some of the students photographed include L. P. Hogan, Jessie Neeley, Gene Adams, Evelyn Moffett, Pearl Robinson, Harriett Rossitor, Helen Jenkins, Maggie…

PHC00136.jpg
Gertrude Page's fifth grade class at Sanford Grammar School in the 1920s. Originally located at 301 West Seventh Street in Sanford, Florida, Sanford Grammar School was first established as Sanford High School in 1902. The building was designed by W.…

PHC00135.jpg
A fifth grade class at Sanford Grammar School in 1920. Originally located at 301 West Seventh Street in Sanford, Florida, Sanford Grammar School was first established as Sanford High School in 1902. The building was designed by W. G. Talley in the…

PHC00134.jpg
A class at Sanford Grammar School in 1916. Originally located at 301 West Seventh Street in Sanford, Florida, Sanford Grammar School was first established as Sanford High School in 1902. The building was designed by W. G. Talley in the Romanesque…

PHC00133.jpg
Miss Owen's Class at Sanford Grammar School during the 1919-1920 school year. Some of the students photographed are Billy Ball, Donald Dunn, Harley Vincent, Dave Van Ness, Eugene Turner, Harold McAlexander, Kemp Hasty, John Rotundo, and Joseph…

PHC00132.jpg
Arlene Boardman and the bench that she donated to Sanford Grammar School's Shade Garden. Originally located at 301 West Seventh Street in Sanford, Florida, Sanford Grammar School was first established as Sanford High School in 1902. The building was…

PHC00131.jpg
The Tropical Garden at Sanford Grammar School. Originally located at 301 West Seventh Street in Sanford, Florida, Sanford Grammar School was first established as Sanford High School in 1902. The building was designed by W. G. Talley in the…

OC00165.jpg
The chorus of Rainbow Elementary School, a school in Winter Springs, at Downtown Disney, an entertainment complex located at 1780 East Buena Vista Drive in Lake Buena Vista, Florida, in 1998. Originally called the Lake Buena Vista Shopping Village,…

LC00006.wav
An oral history of Mary Carolyn Bistline (b. 1928), conducted by Stephanie Youngers on December 10, 2010. Bistline was born on December 22, 1928, in Memphis, Tennessee, but has spent most of her life in Florida. In this interview, Bistline discusses…