Lillian Horner's Fifth Grade Class at Sanford Grammar School, 1945-1946

Dublin Core

Title

Lillian Horner's Fifth Grade Class at Sanford Grammar School, 1945-1946

Alternative Title

Sanford Grammar School Class

Subject

Sanford (Fla.)
Schools
Teachers--Florida
Education--Florida

Description

Lillian Horner's fifth grade class at Sanford Grammar School during the 1945-1946 school year. Photographed in the first row, from left to right, is Mary Lou Bowen, Terry Cordell, Janette Ratliff, Dorthy Johnson, Betty Gatlin, Frank Stafford, Edwin Tison, Edwin Lockett, Nancy Reel, Carolyn Rowland, Evelyn Dorton, Clara Creech. In the second row is Felice Smith, Billy Clark, Harvey Wilkinson, Bobby McNab, Beverly Rogers, Frank Murphy, Mary Ann Bukur, and Joe Hutchison. In the third row is Henry Womack, Ann Raborn, Janice Reel, Joann Moore, Mary Ann Wilke, Ethel Geisler. In the fourth row is Beatrice Brown, Eloise Benton, Myrtly Hardy, Joan Wright, Margarete Morrison, Warren McCall, and Lillian Horner.

Originally established as Sanford High School, the main building was constructed at 301 West Seventh Street in Sanford, Florida, in 1902. The building was designed by W. G. Talley in the Romanesque revival style. Due to an increasing student population, a new school building was constructed on the corner of East Ninth Street and South Palmetto Avenue in 1911. The original building on Seventh Street served as Westside Grammar Elementary School, which was later renamed Sanford Grammar School. After a desperate need for an addition to the school developed, the city granted the school $75,000. The school's lunchroom was opened on October 10, 1921, after months of fundraising efforts hosted by the Woman's Club. In November 23, 1984, the main school building was placed on the National Register of Historic Places and converted into the Student Museum. However, despite objections from the community, the lunchroom was demolished on September 25, 2008. The main school building reopened as the University of Central Florida's Public History Center in 2012.

Source

Original 9.5 x 7 inch black and white photograph: Sanford Grammar Collection, Archives Box 4B, UCF Public History Center, Sanford, Florida.

Date Created

ca. 1945-1946

Is Format Of

Digital reproduction of original 9.5 x 7 inch black and white photograph.

Is Part Of

Sanford Grammar Collection, Archives Box 4B, UCF Public History Center, Sanford, Florida.
Seminole County Public Schools Collection, Student Museum and UCF Public History Center Collection, Seminole County Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.

Format

image/jpg

Extent

141 KB

Medium

9.5 x 7 inch black and white photograph

Language

eng

Type

Still Image

Coverage

Sanford Grammar School, Sanford, Florida

Accrual Method

Donation

Mediator

History Teacher
Geography Teacher

Rights Holder

Copyright to this resource is held by the Student Museum and is provided here by RICHES of Central Florida for educational purposes only.

Contributing Project

Curator

Cepero, Laura

Digital Collection

External Reference

"Public History Center"." Public History Center, University of Central Florida. http://www.publichistorycenter.cah.ucf.edu/.
Sanford Historical Society (Fla.). Sanford. Charleston, SC: Arcadia, 2003.
"Student Museum." Seminole County Public Schools. http://www.scps.k12.fl.us/studentmuseum/Home.aspx.

Transcript

Sanford Grammar School
Mrs. Lillian Horner - Fifth Grade - 1945-45[sic]
First row (seated) left to right: Mary Lou Bowen, terry[sic] Cordell, Janette Ratliff, Dorothy Johnson, Betty Gatlin, Frank Stafford, Edwin Tison, Edwin Lockett, Nancy Reel, Carolyn Rowland, Evelyn Dorton, Clara Creech.
Second row (standing): Felice Smith, Billy Clark, Harvey Wilkinson, Bobby McNab, Beverly Rogers, Frank Murphy, Mary Bukur, Joe Hutchinson. Third row: Henry Womack, Ann Raborn, Janice Reel, Joann Moore, Mary Ann Wilke, Ethel Geisler. Fourth row: Beatrice Brown, Eloise Benton, Myrtly Hardy, Joan Wright, Margaret Morrison, Warren McCall, Lillian Horner. (SM-096-004)

Locations

Categories