May Day Court at Sanford Grammar School, 1945-1946

Dublin Core

Title

May Day Court at Sanford Grammar School, 1945-1946

Alternative Title

Sanford Grammar May Day Court

Subject

Sanford (Fla.)
Education--Florida
Schools
May Day--United States
Holidays--United States

Description

May Day Court at Sanford Grammar School during the 1945-1946 school year. Ann Whitaker and Bob Killpatrick were the May Day Queen and King, respectively. Photographed as standing in the top row, from left to right, is Eileen Barnett, Carolyn Rolland, an unidentified student, Janette Ratliff, Phyllis Shames, an unidentified student, Bob Killpatrick, Ann Whitaker, Dorris Jones, Joan Wright, Mary Ann Wilkie, Dora Lee Richardson, Beverly Benton, Mary Ann Baker, Don Bronson, Ann Robarr, Sheila Moore, and Alice Brown. Seated in the front row is an unidentified student, Linda Leonard, June Bance, Lucia Goff, two unidentified students, William "Buddy" Moore, two unidentified students, Jackie MacDonald, Jean Wilson, and Felice Smith.

Originally located at 301 West Seventh Street in Sanford, Florida, Sanford Grammar School was first established as Sanford High School in 1902. The building was designed by W. G. Talley in the Romanesque revival style. Due to an increasing student population, a new school building was constructed on Sanford Avenue in 1911. The original building on Seventh Street served as Westside Grammar Elementary School, which was later renamed Sanford Grammar School. In 1984, the building was placed on the National Registry of Historic Places and converted into the Student Museum. The building reopened as the University of Central Florida's Public History Center in 2012. In 1927, a high school campus was designed by Elton J. Moughton in the Mediterranean revival style and constructed at 1700 French Avenue. The school reopened on January 10 and was renamed Seminole High School. In 1960, the high school moved to a new campus at 2701 Ridgewood Avenue and the former building on French Avenue was converted to Sanford Junior High School, which was later renamed Sanford Middle School. The old building was demolished in the summer of 1991 and replaced by a $5.77 million school complex. As of 2013, Seminole High School offers various Advanced Placement courses, the Academy for Health Careers, and the International Baccalaureate Programme for students.

Source

Original 10 x 7 inch black and white photograph: Sanford Grammar Collection, Archives Box 4B, UCF Public History Center, Sanford, Florida.

Date Created

ca. 1945-1946

Is Format Of

Digital reproduction of original 10 x 7 inch black and white photograph.

Is Part Of

Sanford Grammar Collection, Archives Box 4B, UCF Public History Center, Sanford, Florida.
Seminole County Public Schools Collection, Student Museum and UCF Public History Center Collection, Sanford Collection, Seminole County Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.

Format

image/jpg

Extent

265 KB

Medium

10 x 7 inch black and white photograph

Type

Still Image

Coverage

Sanford Grammar School, Sanford, Florida

Accrual Method

Donation

Mediator

History Teacher
Geography Teacher

Rights Holder

Copyright to this resource is held by the Student Museum and is provided here by RICHES of Central Florida for educational purposes only.

Contributing Project

Curator

Cepero, Laura

Digital Collection

External Reference

"Public History Center"." Public History Center, University of Central Florida. http://www.publichistorycenter.cah.ucf.edu/.
Sanford Historical Society (Fla.). Sanford. Charleston, SC: Arcadia, 2003.
"Student Museum." Seminole County Public Schools. http://www.scps.k12.fl.us/studentmuseum/Home.aspx.

Locations

Categories