T. W. Lawton Elementary School, 1931

Dublin Core

Title

T. W. Lawton Elementary School, 1931

Alternative Title

T. W. Lawton Elementary School

Subject

Oviedo (Fla.)
Schools
Education--Florida
Elementary schools--United States

Description

T. W. Lawton Elementary School, located at 151 Graham Avenue in Oviedo, Florida, in 1931. Originally called the T. W. Lawton Elementary School, the one-room schoolhouse was first constructed in 1876 in order to serve the three families that lived on Old Orlando Road, near Bear Gully. Julia Golden was the first teacher and most of the students were African Americans. When one of the families moved to Clonts Quarters during the first year, the school moved with them. In 1899, the school was moved to the middle of town. In 1922, Seminole County built a four-room brick schoolhouse with an auditorium seating 75-80. White students attended the new schoolhouse, while black students remained at the original school, then called Oviedo Colored Elementary School and later renamed Jackson Heights. In 1923, the new school had its first graduating class. H. J. Laney was the school principal at the time that this photograph was taken and Thelma Lee Clonts, the contributor of the picture, was beginning her education at the school with Katy Walken as her teacher. The school's name was later changed to T. W. Lawton Elementary School and is now known as Lawton Elementary School.

Source

Photocopy of original black and white photograph, October 1, 1931: Oviedo Historical Society, Oviedo, Florida.

Date Created

1931-10-01

Contributor

Clonts, Thelma Lee

Is Format Of

Digital reproduction of photocopied black and white photograph, October 1, 1931.

Is Part Of

Oviedo Historical Society, Oviedo, Florida.
Oviedo Historical Society Collection, Oviedo Collection, Seminole County Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.

Format

application/pdf

Extent

277 KB

Medium

1 black and white photograph

Language

eng

Type

Still Image

Coverage

T. W. Lawton Elementary School, Oviedo, Florida

Accrual Method

Donation

Mediator

History Teacher
Geography Teacher

Provenance

Donated to the Oviedo Historical Society by Thelma Lee Clonts.

Rights Holder

Copyright to this resource is held by Thelma Lee Clonts and is provided here by RICHES of Central Florida for educational purposes only.

Contributing Project

Curator

Cepero, Laura

Digital Collection

Source Repository

External Reference

"School History." Lawton Elementary, Teacher Center, Seminole County Public Schools. http://teachercenter.scps.k12.fl.us/education/school/schoolhistory.php?sectiondetailid=319&.

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

1 black and white photograph

Locations

Categories

Transcribe This Item

  1. HH00388.pdf