Oviedo Historical Society Collection

Selected Items in the Oviedo Historical Society Collection (more...)

Map this Collection in RICHES

Pre-Cooler at the Nelson and Company Packing Plant, 1973
The Nelson and Company Packing plant and a pre-cooler. The company was originally founded by Steen Nelson and Gus Nelson and called Nelson Brothers. The company changed its name to Nelson and Company after it became a three-way partnership between…

Nelson and Company Packing Plant and Wheeler Fertilizer Plant, 1973
The Nelson and Company Packing Plant, as well as the Wheeler Fetilizer Company Plant. The company was originally founded by Steen Nelson and Gus Nelson and called Nelson Brothers. The company changed its name to Nelson and Company after it became a…

Citizens Bank of Oviedo, 1973
The Citizens Bank of Oviedo, which originally opened on East Broadway Street on July 2, 1946. The land on which the bank sits was originally the Bill Browning celery farm. The Citizens Bank of Oviedo took in over half a million dollars in deposits on…

Kolb Family Home
A watercolor drawing of the Kolb family home in Oviedo, Florida, in 2000. This item was drawn Jacqui Johnson, a neighbor of the Kolbs, as a gift for Julie Kolb, the matriarch of the family.

2008 Oviedo High School Golden Bananas Best Supporting Actor Trophy
Oviedo High School Best Supporting Actor Golden Bananas Award, 2008. It was awarded to Dane Kolb for his performance as The Wizard in the Oviedo High School Theatre Department's production of the musical comedy, Once Upon a Mattress.Oviedo High…

Elegant Visitor
A newspaper article from The Seminole Star of an 85-foot yacht from Fort Pierce arriving in the sheltered harbor of Lake Monroe in Sanford, Florida. According to the caption, the harbor ranked high among Central Florida marinas for berthing and other…

And Then There's Henry Walcott...Not So Pleased
A newspaper article about Henry Walcott, an Oviedo resident who has watched the small community grow into the bustling town it became after the arrival of Florida Technological University (present-day University of Central Florida) during the 1960s.…

Wheeler, Mae King Reign Over Festivities: Thousands Celebrate Oviedo Centennial
A newspaper article detailing Oviedo centennial celebrations at Oviedo High School on March 9, 1979. Senator Richard Bernard Stone was in attendance for the fesitivities and helped to crown Mae King and B. F. Wheeler Jr., manager of the Wheeler…

Between the Celery Stalks: Theodore Mead Sure Left His Mark on Oviedo
A newspaper column in The Oviedo Outlook entitled "Between the Celery Stalks." Here, local residents could submit interesting stories or tidbits for inclusion in the newspaper. This particular column, written by Janet Foley, was about…

This Tree House Tops All
A newspaper article about farmer George M. Arie who built a treehouse off State Road 419 in an area known as Arie Corner. The article details how it moved the tree, built the treehouse and where he resided at the time of publication.

Oviedo Area Map and Business Guide
An area map of Oviedo, Florida, and its surrounding areas. A number of advertisements from the businesses surrond the perimeter of the map. While the date is unknown, the map is believed to have been published sometime between 1970 and 1978. The…

Youths Charged with Burglary
A newspaper article from the The Seminole Star about a burglary that occurred at the Sanford Grammar School in Sanford, Florida. Five underaged youths were involved in the burglary and charged with stealing approximately $175 in school supplies…

Tax Study Group Meets Wednesday
A newspaper article from The Seminole Star discussing the Tax Study Commission that was formed to analyze the issue of double taxation in Seminole County, Florida. The 12-member commission was chaired by State Senator John Vogt (D-Cocoa Beach) and…

Altamonte to Vote on Sewer Bill
A newspaper article from The Seminole Star discussing the construction on the Keller Road Sewer Treatment Plant in Altamonte Springs, Florida. The construction was completed by the Tuttle-White Construction Company of Orlando and the Lee Construction…

CofC, City to Meet on Building Lease
A newspaper article from The Seminole Star discussing the Altamonte Springs-Casselberry Chamber of Commerce's leasing issue with the city government. The Chamber of Commerce had been paying $1 a year to rent out a city-owned building. Florida…

County Reviews SR 46A Plans
A newspaper article from The Seminole Star discussing a feasibility study regarding project plans to construct an exchange for Florida State Road 46A and Interstate Highway 4. A committe was set to review the plans for the proposed project. However,…

A. Duda and Sons Celery Farm in Slavia
The A. Duda and Sons farm in Slavia, Florida, in the 1970s. Andrew Duda, Sr. immigrated from Slovakia to Cleveland, Ohio, in 1909, later settling in Central Florida to try his hand at farming. Initially successful growing Irish potatoes, the market…

A. Duda and Sons Celery Packing House
The A. Duda and Son's packing house in Slavia, Florida, around 1945. This photograph features of number African-American workers packing the celery crop for shipping and distribution. Andrew Duda, Sr. immigrated from Slovakia to Cleveland, Ohio, in…

A. Duda and Sons Mule Train
A Mule Train on the A. Duda and Sons farm in Slavia, Florida, sometime between 1940 and 1945. Mule Trian was the name of the motorized factory that Duda farm workers used to harvest celery from the 1940s through the 1970s. It was named after a…

Harvest at the A. Duda and Sons Celery Farm in Slavia
The A. Duda and Sons farm in Salvia, Florida, around 1940. African-American workers are photographed cleaning up a celery field after a harvest. Andrew Duda, Sr. immigrated from Slovakia to Cleveland, Ohio, in 1909, later settling in Central Florida…

Oviedo Citizens in Action
Oviedo Citizens in Action (OCIA) at the Oviedo School in Oviedo, Florida, around 1969. OCIA is a community organization that fought for equal and civil rights within the Greater Oviedo area. The group helped to desegregate a number of local…

War Ration Book Four: Prince Butler Boston
This World War II-era war ration book belonged to Prince Butler Boston, a prominent African American leader in Oviedo, Florida, who was integral to creating a vibrant black community in Seminole County through industry and his patronage. Boston was…

Boston Hill Cemetery Dedication
A legal document for the dedication of five acres land for the Boston Hill Cemetery, an African-American cemetery located at 199 Boston Cemetery Road in Oviedo, Florida. The dedication deed was signed by Prince Butler Boston and E. Garvin, who were…

The 1850 and 1860 Census, Schedule 2, Slave Inhabitants
Two pages from a larger digital article, "The 1850 and 1860 Census, Schedule 2, Slave Inhabitants," from the AfriGeneas Library, which dedicates itself to literature concerning African-American genealogy, as well as researching African ancestry in…

A Written and Pictorial History of the Oviedo Area Colored Schools, 1890-1967
In 2001, former students of the African-American schools planned a class reunion for alumni who attended the schools between 1953 and 1967. The schools included were Oviedo Colored School (later called Oviedo Elementary School), Jackson Heights…

Map of Boston Hill Cemetery
A map of the Boston Hill Cemetery, an African-American cemetery located at 199 Boston Cemetery Road in Oviedo, Florida. The dedication deed was signed by Prince Butler Boston and E. Garvin, who were representing the Board of Trustees of the Boston…

Minutes of Shareholders' Meeting of The Oviedo Voice, Inc. (April 15, 1993)
The meeting minutes from the shareholders' meeting of The Oviedo Voice, Inc. held on April 15, 1993. The Oviedo Voice, was the local newspaper that served Oviedo, Florida and its surrounding communities for nearly 23 years. A few of the shareholders'…

A Time to Keep: History of the First Methodist Church of Oviedo, Florida, 1873-1973
A centennial celebration program booklet for the First United Methodist Church, located at 300 Ruth Street in Oviedo, Florida. The program covers the events of the day, centennial celebrations, the church history, and a number of hymns and sermons.…

City Sewerage System Nearing Construction
In August of 1973, The Oviedo Outlook, Vol. 1, No. 7, August 1, 1973 reported that the Oviedo's new sanitary sewer system was still on schedule to be built that year. Through a joint effort between a group of developers, engineers, and city…

Arthur Lott Acquitted of Assault: Circuit Jury Convicts Man on Resisting Charge
A newspaper article published by The Oviedo Outlook on August 1, 1973. The article discusses the case of Arthur Lott, who was convicted by a circuit court jury of a lesser charge of resisting arrest without violence for his altercation with police…

Cigarettes Mower, Stolen; $1,200 Construction Theft
A newspaper article published by The Oviedo Outlook on August 1, 1973. This article details a number of thefts that were reported to the Oviedo City Police Department in August of 1973. These thefts included cigarettes, a mower, and a $1,200…

Teachers, Students Undergo Major Schedule Changes
A newspaper article published by The Lion's Tale, Oviedo High School's student newspaper, in February of 1984. This article discusses the schedule changes affecting certain English teachers and their students in order to maintain funding from the…

OHS Students Earn Credits by Examination
A newspaper article published by The Lion's Tale, Oviedo High School's student newspaper, in February of 1984. This article discusses the Secondary Level Examination Program (SLEP), which grants high school credits to students that successfully…

Bakalla Designated Tusculum Scholar
A newspaper article published by The Lion's Tale, Oviedo High School's student newspaper, in February of 1984. This article is about OHS honor student Belinda Bakalla, who was designated a Tusculum Scholar. Tusculum College in Greenville, Tennessee,…

Norton Awarded by La Sertoma Club
A newspaper article published by The Lion's Tale, Oviedo High School's student newspaper, in February of 1984. This article is about OHS senior Ed Norton, who was chosen as the recipient of the La Sertoma Club award. The La Sertoma Club is an…

Requirements for Athletes 'Raised'
A newspaper article published by The Lion's Tale, Oviedo High School's student newspaper, in February of 1984. This article reports on the new RAISE initiative, which established new requirements for Florida student athletes and how these…

Mr. and Mrs. Ed Hayslett Win Freezer and Beef
A newspaper article published by The Oviedo Outlook on July 7, 1971. This article is about Oviedo's Fourth of July celebration that took place the previous weekend. According to the article, Mr. and Mrs. Ed Hayslett of Chuluota, Florida, won a…

Patron Donations Help Band
A newspaper article published by The Oviedo Outlook on July 7, 1971. This article is the publication of an open letter by Oviedo High School band director, Richard A. Feinberg, asking for donations for the marching band. The article also outlines…

Fire Association to Begin Drive
A newspaper article published by The Oviedo Outlook on July 7, 1971. This article discusses the Seminole-Goldenrod Fire Association membership drive. Goldenrod formed its volunteer fire department in the 1950s with its own trucks and erected a…

Oviedo with 24 Hour Police Protection
A newspaper article published by The Oviedo Outlook on July 7, 1971. This article reports that the Oviedo City Police Department will begin to have 24-hour police protection.

...And Another Learns His Lesson
A newspaper photograph published by The Oviedo Outlook on July 7, 1971. This photograph shows a car stuck in a ditch off of Florida State Road 426 in Slavia, Florida. According to the caption, the driver's car slipped off the road when it was…

Ben Ward, Jr. at Mead Manor
Ben Ward, Jr. at the Mead Manor subdivision in Downtown Oviedo, Florida. This photograph from a newspaper article about the history of Mead Manor and Ward, a real estate developer, and his involvement in the project, as well as other ongoing…

Oviedo
A newspaper article that examines Oviedo's growth through the creation of number of subdivisions, most notably Mead Manor. Named for horticulturalist Dr. Theodore Luqueer Mead, Mead Manor was developed by the Oviedo Land Company, which was formed by…

Mitchell Hammock Road Unpaved
Mitchell Hammock Road when it was an unpaved dirt road in Oviedo, Florida, in 1989. Oviedo City Council members signed a deal with Seminole County officials and a developer to pave Mitchell Hammock Road and turn it into a major highway. The…

Mitchell Hammock Road Paved
Mitchell Hammock Road in 1990, just after being paved. Oviedo City Council members signed a deal with Seminole County officials and a developer to pave Mitchell Hammock Road and turn it into a major highway. The developer, the Anden Group, paid for…

Mitchell Hammock Road During Paving
Mitchell Hammock Road when it was being paved in 1989. Oviedo City Council members signed a deal with Seminole County officials and a developer to pave Mitchell Hammock Road and turn it into a major highway. The developer, the Anden Group, paid for…

Intersection at Lockwood Boulevard and East Mitchell Hammock Road
Lockwood Boulevard was a dirt road until 1990, when the City of Oviedo and the Anden Group, a local developer, paved Mitchell Hammock Road between Florida State Road 426 and Lockwood Boulevard, in order to alleviate traffic congestion due to the…

Eulogy for Harry "Big Newt" Boston, Sr.
The transcription of a eulogy given by Harry H. Boston, Jr. after the death of his father, Harry "Big Newt" Homer, Sr. Boston, who was an integral part of Oviedo's African-American community. Originally from Valdosta, Georgia, he graduate from…

In Loving Memory of Mr. Harry Boston
The funeral program for Harry "Big Newt" Homer, Sr. Boston, who was an integral part of Oviedo's African-American community. Originally from Valdosta, Georgia, he graduate from Valdosta State College (now Valdosta State University). After college, he…

In Memory of Harry "Big Newt" Boston, Sr.
This is the dedication from former members of the Oviedo Black Hawks baseball team for Harry "Big Newt" Homer, Sr. Boston, who was an integral part of Oviedo's African-American community. Originally from Valdosta, Georgia, he graduate from Valdosta…

Oral History of Ida Boston
An oral history of Ida Boston, conducted by Porsha Dossie on April 18, 2015. Boston is a resident of Oviedo, Florida, and a retired school bus driver for the Seminole County Public Schools. In 1956, she married her husband, Russell Boston, who is the…

Antioch Missionary Baptist Church of Oviedo
The Antioch Missionary Baptist Church, located at 311 East Broadway Street in Oviedo, Florida, sometime between 1875 and 1950. In 1875, members of the African-American community came together to build a small place of worship. Adjacent to the church…

R. W. Estes Celery Company Ledger, 1947-1950
An account ledger for the R. W. Estes Celery Company, Estes' personal accounts, and the personal accounts of Estes' wife, Ruth H. Estes. R. W. Estes Celery Company was a celery growing and shipping business in Oviedo, Florida. The R. W. Estes Celery…

Homestead Documentation for Benjamin James
The homestead documentation for Benjamin James. James' homestead was located in the southwestern portion of present-day Oviedo. James was born Savannah, Georgia, and migrated to Hastings, Florida, where he met his wife, Esther James. The couple…

Homestead Documentation for Colnel B. Holmes
The homestead documentation for Colnel B. Holmes. Holmes' homestead was located in Oviedo, Florida. According to the documentation, Holmes was born in Marietta, Georgia, and grew potatoes and corn were on his homestead. Little else is known of this…

Homestead Documentation for Henry Jackson
The homestead documentation for Henry Jackson. Jackson, an African American raised by a white family, homesteaded 40 acres on both sides of Long Lake in Oviedo, Florida. The area became a predominantly black settlement, now known as Jackson Heights.…

Whitaker's Old Country Store
Whitaker's Old Country Store, a junk resale store located on East Broadway Street across the street from the Antioch Missionary Baptist Church, near the old railroad tracks of the Orlando-Winter Park Railroad, also known as the Dinky Line.

Browdy's Mini-Mart
Browdy's Mini-Mart, a convenience store located at the north side of the intersection of Avenue B and East Broadway Street/County Road 419 in Downtown Oviedo, Florida.

Oviedo Florists and Oviedo City Cleaners, Inc.
The intersection of Broadway Street and Central Avenue in Downtown Oviedo, Florida. Oviedo Florists was located on the corner of the intersection at 40 West Broadway Street, with Oviedo City Cleaners, Inc. just next door at 30 West Broadway Street.…

Oviedo Drug and Meat World
Oviedo Drug and Meat World, two local stores located in Oviedo, Florida, in 1979. The two stores were located on the corner of East Broadway Street/County Road 419 and Florida State Road 426.

East Broadway Street in Oviedo
Looking west along East Broadway Street towards Central Avenue in Oviedo, Florida. The shops in the photograph include a pet food and supply store, Pot Latch, a barber shop, and Albert's Jewelers, which was located at 24 East Broadway Street.

Lake Charm Fruit Company Packing House, 1942
The Lake Charm Fruit Company Packing House, located along Geneva Road, on the south side of County Road 419 in Oviedo, Florida, in 1942. The Lake Charm Fruit Co. was established on January 22, 1923. Although the backside of the photograph states that…

Dance Floor at Sweetwater Park
The Dance Floor at Sweetwater Park, located at 201 East Magnolia Street in Oviedo, Florida, circa 1942. In 1926, Theodore Luqueer Mead and his wife, Edith Katharine Antill Edwards Mead, donated five acres of wooded hammock land to be used for the…

Black Hammock Celery Fields
Three African-American farm workers on a celery field in Oviedo's Black Hammock. Oviedo's earliest settlers grew citrus and celery on the area's mucky, rich topsoil. While citrus was the dominant crop for some time, celery took the lead after the…

Charles Simeon Lee on Lettuce Farm in Black Hammock
Charles Simeon Lee (1892-1991) on his lettuce farm in Black Hammock, an area along Lake Jesup in Oviedo known for its groves, farms, and nurseries. Early settlers to the area grew citrus, celery, lettuce, and other vegetables on Oviedo's mucky, rich…

Seaboard Air Line Railroad Train in Black Hammock
A Seaboard Air Line Railroad (SAL) train in Black Hammock of Oviedo, Florida, on May 25, 1927. The train was shipping Sunrise and Big Win brands of celery.Oviedo's earliest settlers grew citrus and celery on the area's mucky, rich topsoil. While…

Old Downtown Oviedo
Old Downtown Oviedo, Florida, looking east from the intersection of Broadway Street/County Road 419/Florida State Road 426 and Florida State Road 434/Florida State Road 419. A Coca-Cola sign can be seen the right side of the photograph. The two-story…

Chuluota Baptist Church Sixty-Fifth Anniversary
A history of the Chuluota Baptist Church from its founding to its 65th anniversary in 1939. The congregation's first services were held in November of 1874 in the home of W. C. Jacobs with Reverend R. W. Lawton and Reverend George Gandez leading…

Oviedo Railroad Depot
The Oviedo Depot, located at 636 South Lake Jessup Road in Oviedo, Florida, in 1975. The depot was Originally constructed at 520 South Lake Jessup Avenue in 1886 as part of the Henry Bradley Plant railroad system. The design of the depot was based on…

Nelson and Company Packing Plant
The Nelson and Company Packing Plant, located in what is now the Nelson and Company Historic District. The company was Originally founded by Steen Nelson and Gus Nelson and called Nelson Brothers. The company changed its name to Nelson and Company…

Sunday School Picnic at White's Wharf
A Sunday school picnic at White's Wharf, located near Lake Jesup in Oviedo, Florida, in 1910. Some of the individuals appearing in the photograph are J. C. Brainan, J. H. Lee, Olauc Howard-Huret, Frank Anderson, Sid Brown and his wife, H. B. McCall,…

T. W. Lawton Elementary School, 1931
T. W. Lawton Elementary School, located at 151 Graham Avenue in Oviedo, Florida, in 1931. Originally called the T. W. Lawton Elementary School, the one-room schoolhouse was first constructed in 1876 in order to serve the three families that lived on…

Lee Family
The Lee Family on the front porch of their home along Lake Charm in Oviedo, Florida. Photographed standing, from left to right, are Lillian Della Lee (ca. 1883-1977); William "Wiley" Lee (1869-1905); John Theodore Lee (1871-1959); George Lee; B. F.…

James Hiram Lee, Jr. and Charles Simeon Lee with Friends
James Hiram Lee, Jr. (1890-1959) and Charles Simeon Lee (1892-1991), sons of James Hiram Lee, Sr. (1844-1920) and Laura Agusta Barnett Lee (1851-1940), with other children in Oviedo, Florida. C. S. Lee was born on October 27, 1892, and married Goldie…

Whitney-Wolcott House on Lake Charm
The Whitney-Wolcott House, located at 6297 Lake Charm Circle, near Lake Charm in Oviedo, Florida. After buying property from Dr. Henry Foster in 1886, Calvin Whitney built his Victorian Revival-style, two-story winter home near Lake Charm. Whitney,…

Robert Floyd King and Minnie Lee King at a Black Hammock Celery Field
Robert Floyd King and Minnie Lee King (ca. 1918-2002) at a celery field in Black Hammock, an area in Oviedo, Florida, in the early 1920s, when Minnie was four or five. Minnie graduated from Oviedo High School in 1936 and later married George C.…

T. W. Lawton Elementary School
T. W. Lawton Elementary School, located at 151 Graham Avenue in Oviedo, Florida. Originally called the T. W. Lawton Elementary School, the one-room schoolhouse was first constructed in 1876 in order to serve the three families that lived on Old…

James Hiram Lee, Sr.
James Hiram Lee, Sr. (1844-1920). a veteran of the Confederate military. Lee served as an Orange County Commissioner, before Seminole County was established. The county courthouse was constructed in 1892, while Lee was chairman of the commission.…

Laura Agusta Barnett Lee
Laura Agusta Barnett Lee (1851-1940), who migrated to the Oviedo area from Columbia County, Florida. Barnett married James Hiram Lee, Sr. (1844-1920), a veteran of the Confederate military, in 1867 and the couple settled near Lake Charm in the Lake…

The Oviedo Band at White's Wharf
The Oviedo band at a Sunday school picnic at White's Wharf, located near Lake Jesup in Oviedo, Florida, in 1911. Some of the individuals appearing in the photograph are Cater Lawton, Karl Graff, Hugh White, bandmaster Stuman, John McCulley, McKnight,…

Joe Lee on Charles Simeon Lee's Celery Farm
Joe Lee, an African-American laborer, with Blue Goose celery at Charles Simeon Lee, Sr.'s farm in Oviedo, Florida, in 1928. The two Lees were of no relation. C. S. Lee (1892-1991) was born on October 27, 1892, and married Goldie Eva Beckley Lee…

Oviedo's Old Downtown
Old Downtown Oviedo, Florida. The Timucuan Native Americans Originally inhabited the area of present-day Oviedo, although the remains of their settlements have disappeared. Homesteaders arrived along the shores of Lake Jesup in 1865 just after the…

Map of Lake Charm
A map of Lake Charm, a 19-acre lake located in the Lake Jesup Watershed of Oviedo, Florida, sometime between 1865 and 1870. The map shows mostly orange groves and farmland owned by a handful of individuals: Walter Gwynn, Dr. Henry Foster, Mary E.…

Memorial Building and Oviedo City Hall
The Memorial Building, located at 38 South Central Avenue in Downtown Oviedo, Florida, in 1974. The building was dedicated during the tenure of Mayor Lee Gary in honor of Oviedo's veterans. At the time that the photograph was taken, the Memorial…

Downtown Oviedo, 1974
Northbound on Central Avenue in Downtown Oviedo, Florida, in 1974. A number of businesses can be seen in the photograph, including Oviedo Florists, located at 40 West Broadway Street; Oviedo City Cleaners, Inc., located at 30 West Broadway Street,…

Barbecue at Sweetwater Park
A Fourth of July barbecue at Sweetwater Park, located at 201 East Magnolia Street in Oviedo, Florida. Theodore Luqueer Mead and his wife, Edith Katharine Antill Edwards Mead, donated five acres of wooded hammock land to be used for the park. The…

Thomas Willington Lawton and Winborn Joseph Lawton, Sr. at the Lawton General Store
Thomas Willington Lawton (1882-1963) and his brother, Winborn Joseph Lawton, Sr. (1881-1971), at the Lawton General Store in Oviedo, Florida. T. W. Lawton graduated from Rollins College in 1903. He later received his master's degree from Andover…

Nelson and Company Packing Plant, 1979
The Nelson and Company Packing Plant, located in what is now the Nelson and Company Historic District, in 1979. The company was Originally founded by Steen Nelson and Gus Nelson and called Nelson Brothers. The company changed its name to Nelson and…

History of the First Baptist Church, Oviedo, Florida: First 100 Years, 1869-1969
A history of the First Baptist Church of Oviedo from its founding in 1869 to its centennial celebration in 1969. The book begins with a brief history of the Central Florida area, followed by a history of Oviedo. The first service for the First…

The Oviedo Outlook: Centennial Edition
The centennial edition of The Oviedo Outlook published in 1979 to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the founding of Oviedo, Florida. The newspaper begins with a brief history of Oviedo, followed by articles devoted to important members of the…

The Oviedo Outlook, Volume 4, Number 40, May 26, 1977
Volume 4, number 40 of The Oviedo Outlook, published on May 26, 1977. The Oviedo Outlook was published every Thursday at 173 West Broadway Street in Oviedo, Florida. The newspaper was operated by the NPN Corporation, president and general manager…

Suspicious Councilmen Agree to Meet with Commissioners
A newspaper article published by The Oviedo Outlook on May 26, 1977. The article discusses the planned meeting between members of the Oviedo city council and Dick Williams, chairman of the Seminole County Commission, on June 2, 1977. According to the…

Kelsey Fish Fry Slated June 4
A newspaper article published by The Oviedo Outlook on May 26, 1977. The article discusses a fish fry to raise money for former Oviedo Chief of Police, George Kelsey, who had undergone surgery for a degenerative bone ailment. The event was held at…

Oviedo's Plan: A Variety of Rules on Everything from Roads to Recreation
A newspaper article published by The Oviedo Outlook on May 26, 1977. The article describes the Oviedo Comprehensive Plan developed by the Local Planning Agency (LPA). Plans include rules and regulations for land use, natural resources, housing,…

Letters From the People: VICA Sponsor Thanks Citizens
A newspaper article published by The Oviedo Outlook on May 26, 1977. The article features a letter to the editor by Wayne E. Lanham, an instructor at Oviedo High School and the sponsor of the school's chapter of Vocational Industrial Clubs of America…

Something to Think About: Rape Ruling a Travesty
A newspaper article published by The Oviedo Outlook on May 26, 1977. The article discusses a recent ruling by Circuit Judge Robert McGregor regarding a rape case in the Seminole-Brevard Circuit Court. According to the article, Judge McGregor…

Over the Coffee
A newspaper column published by The Oviedo Outlook on May 26, 1977. "Over the Coffee" was a weekly column by Donna Neely and Ralph Neely. This week's column discussed the work of archaeologist Dr. Ron Wallace of Florida Technological University (FTU)…

Metcalf Fund Short
A newspaper article published by The Oviedo Outlook on May 26, 1977. The describes the fundraising efforts by Gary Metcalf, a former drum major at Oviedo High School, who was trying to raise money to travel with the Continental Singers to Europe. At…

OHS Honors Outstanding Athletes at Banquet
A newspaper article published by The Oviedo Outlook on May 26, 1977. The article describes Oviedo High School's Athletic Banquet that was held at the Sanford Civic Center and lists the various awards and recipients. Oviedo High School is a Seminole…

Dublin Core

Title

Oviedo Historical Society Collection

Alternative Title

Oviedo Historical Society Collection

Subject

Oviedo (Fla).

Description

The Oviedo Historical Society Collection encompasses historical artifacts donated for digitization at the Oviedo Historical Society's History Harvest in the Spring semester of 2015.

The Oviedo Historical Society was organized in November 1973 by a group of citizens. The society is a 501(3) non-profit organization. Its purpose is to help preserve the community identity of Oviedo by collecting and disseminating knowledge about local history, serve as a repository for documents and artifacts relating to Oviedo history, promote the preservation and marking of historic sites and buildings in the Oviedo area and foster interest in local, state, national, and world history.

Is Part Of

Oviedo Collection, Seminole County Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.

Language

eng

Type

Collection

Coverage

Oviedo, Florida

Contributing Project

Dr. Connie L. Lester's Introduction to Public History course, Spring 2015

Digital Collection

External Reference

"Oviedo Historical Society." Oviedo Historical Society, Inc. http://oviedohs.com/.
Adicks, Richard, and Donna M. Neely. Oviedo, Biography of a Town. S.l: s.n.], 1979.
Robison, Jim. Around Oviedo. 2012.
"History." City of Oviedo, Florida. http://www.cityofoviedo.net/node/68.
"RICHES Podcast Documentaries, Episode 41: Oviedo, with Dr. Richard Adicks." RICHES of Central Florida. http://riches.cah.ucf.edu/audio/Ep41-Oviedo.mp3.

Collection Tree