Oviedo Collection

Selected Items in the Oviedo Collection (more...)

Map this Collection in RICHES

Oral Memoirs of Benjamin Franklin Wheeler III
An oral history interview of Benjamin Franklin Wheeler III, a descendant of the Wheeler and Lawton families in Oviedo. The interview was conducted by Desta Lee Horner at the University of Central Florida in Orlando, Florida, on June 18th, 2019. Some…

Oral History of Paul Mikler
An oral history of Paul Mikler (1916-2000)), a history teacher and coach from Oviedo, Florida. Mikler was born on July 8, 1916, and was raised in Slavia, an unincorporated community that was once part of Oviedo. He taught at Oviedo High…

Oviedo Marketplace, 2005
The Oviedo Marketplace, located at 1700 Oviedo Marketplace Boulevard (present-day Oviedo Mall B oulevard) in Oviedo, Florida, in 2005. The first photograph shows Pizzeria Regina and Cajun Grill. The second photograph features Master Wok,…

Hurricane Charley Aftermath in Oviedo
The aftermath of Hurricane Charley in Oviedo, Florida. Hurricane Charley formed on August 9, 2004, and dissipated on August 15. Charley was a Category 4 hurricane that made landfall in southwest Florida and was the strongest hurricane to hit the…

Black Hammock Trailhead
The Black Hammock Trailhead around 2002. The Black Hammock Wilderness Area is a 700-acre property jointly owned by Seminole County and the St. Johns River Water Management District. The area is part of an effort to preserve the habitat along the…

Dublin Core

Title

Oviedo Collection

Alternative Title

Oviedo Collection

Subject

Oviedo (Fla.)

Description

Collection of digital images, documents, and other records depicting the history of Oviedo, Florida. Series descriptions are based on special topics, the majority of which students focused their metadata entries around.

Oviedo began on the south shore of Lake Jessup as a settlement called Solaria's Wharf. Some of its early settlers include Dr. Henry Foster, Joseph Watts, and Steen Nelson. Citrus and celery dominated the area's farmland, although Central Florida suffered a severe freeze in 1894. Oviedo suffered another disaster in 1914 when a fire wiped out much of the downtown section. Disaster hit again in 1929 with the Wall Street Crash and the beginning of the Great Depression. That same year, Oviedo's fruit crops were decimated by a fruit fly infestation. Another fire destroyed the Wheeler Fertilizer Plant in 1946. Nonetheless, Oviedo continued to grow, with new paved roads going to Geneva and Chuluota and the opening of the Citizens Bank of Oviedo in 1948. In 1949, Oviedo began receing once-a-day bus serviece to Orlando from Greyhound Lines. By 1950, Oviedo was the second largest town in Seminole County, following Sanford. The Oviedo City Hall was built that same year and in 1968, Florida Technological University (present-day University of Central Florida) opened, bringing new residents to the area.

Contributor

Cepero, Laura Lynn
Cepero, Nancy Lynn
Cepero, Ray

Has Part

Oviedo Historical Society Collection, Oviedo Collection, Seminole County Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.

Is Part Of

Seminole County Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.

Language

eng

Type

Collection

Coverage

Oviedo, Florida

Curator

Cepero, Laura

Digital Collection

External Reference

"RICHES Podcast Documentaries, Episode 41: Oviedo, with Dr. Richard Adicks." RICHES of Central Florida. https://richesmi.cah.ucf.edu/omeka2/items/show/2494.
Robison, Jim. Around Oviedo. 2012.
Adicks, Richard, and Donna M. Neely. Oviedo, Biography of a Town. [Place of publication not identified]: [publisher not identified], 1979.
"History." City of Oviedo, Florida. http://www.cityofoviedo.net/node/68.
"Oviedo Began as Solaria's Wharf." The Oviedo Heritage, June 30, 1977.

Collection Tree