Northwest Rooftop View of the Hester-Shephard Block
A rooftop view of the Hester-Shephard block, located at 109 South Palmetto Avenue in Sanford, Florida. The block was named after M. K. Hester and Samuel W. Shepard. The three-story building was constructed after the September 1887 fire. From 1890 to 1974, the building housed the city's first fire station. The building also housed Sanford City Hall, the police station, and the jail. In 1923, Seminole County's only legal hanging occurred behind the building. In 1928, the top floor was condemned and removed. From the 1970s to the 1990s, Sanford Dry Cleaners was located there, until it was renovated as a private residence.
Original 7 x 5 inch black and white photograph: Vincent Collection, Sanford Museum, Sanford, Florida.
Is Format Of
Digital reproduction of original 7 x 5 inch black and white photograph.
Is Part Of
Vincent Collection, Sanford Museum, Sanford, Florida.
Sanford Collection, Seminole County Collection, RICHES of Central Florida.
7 x 5 inch black and white photograph
Hester-Shephard Block, Sanford, Florida
Sanford Historical Society, Inc. Sanford. Charleston, South Carolina: Arcadia Publishing, 2003.
"Downtown Orlando Historic District Walking Tour." City of Orlando. http://sanfordhistory.tripod.com/Links/wtour.pdf.
N.W. from Hester + Shepher Block Sanford, Fla.
Still Image Item Type Metadata
1 black and white photograph
7 x 5 inches